5112 22 2016-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hello All,
I'm sure there's a simple explanation to this, but I seem to be occasionally get a warning message of "Warning aircraft out of range." Nothing seems to happen when this message is displayed, but I usually come right back when it does display. Keep in mind that I have set a maximum distance. When I reach maximum distance, it does say "Warning max flight distance reached". It seems as though these messages are related. When it does display "Warning aircraft out of range", does that mean it somehow passed maximum distance? Or does it mean I started to loose connection with the drone? I never noticed any oddities with controlling it, so I never bothered to look at the signal except at takeoff. It was only when reviewing the flight logs that I happened to see this message. I'm sure it came up on the display too, but I've usually got my eyes on the drone.
2016-6-20
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Are you sure that is the exact message , I have seen "Rc or video signal weak "  But I dont recall seeing " Out of Range ".

When I do get the warning  of "Weak RC or video "  sometimes if you simply rotate the aircraft ( Left stick Rudder )  a bit so the antennas on the front or back of the aircraft are pointing directly  at the Transmitter the warning will go away. Also you can sometimes raise the transmitter or  gain altitude and the signal will go to full bars again.

I hope this helps.
And I Know for sure I have not seen "Warming , Out of range "  I know what you meant though .   ( the mistake was edited , I am not crazy......well, not THAT crazy anyway )
donnie
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It does seem like an odd message. Do you see a pattern in distance when this occurs? Are you moving at max speed or just miandering about when this happens? Out of range would indicate a RF range issue, but that normally comes with a No Signal type of warning.
2016-6-21
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-21 12:02
It does seem like an odd message. Do you see a pattern in distance when this occurs? Are you moving  ...

Hello Jamie,
    I opened a ticket with your support.  If you send me a message, I'll provide the ticket number so you can review.  I did attach pictures and examples to the ticket.  That warning message is exactly as I wrote it.  I followed up today with tech support, and we came to the assumption that the drone displays this message when it exceeds the maximum distance setting.  I had my distance setting at 128 FT.  Somehow the drone drifted to 131 FT.  This is what we assumed caused the message.  What confuses me is that the maximum distance setting is supposed to keep it within the set distance.  However, I know that it's not a perfect system, and drift can occur.  

Also, you may find it interesting that the message was occurring both with firmware 1.8.1.00 and 1.9.1.10.  I can provide pictures of the occurrence in a flight with each.

To answer you question:

It does seem like an odd message. Do you see a pattern in distance when this occurs? Are you moving at max speed or just miandering about when this happens? Out of range would indicate a RF range issue, but that normally comes with a No Signal type of warning.

The most noticeable pattern is when the drone exceeds it's maximum distance setting even though it's not supposed to.  When looking at my logging data, it seems as though the drone was cruising along it's range bubble (the diameter that the drone thinks is the maximum).  I was moving at a moderate speed, but often times less than moderate speed.  Signal was strong and there was no indication of an RF range issue that I noticed.  

To file a complaint:

I would also like to make a complaint with the tech support agent that was handling my issue.

1.  The agent deliberately disconnected the call with me when it was close to his cut off time.  We didn't accidently lose the call and we didn't accidently disconnect.   The agent waited to provide my ticket before hanging up on me.  Your agents need some lessons in phone etiquette.

2.  When the agent discussed my issue, he asked me what firmware I was running.  When I told him the versions were current and offered to share the versions, he said that people tell him that all the time and he wants a picture of my "about" screen showing that I'm telling the truth.  Although I did do as requested, a little courtesy goes a long way.

3.  When I asked the agent to help me review my settings, he said that he didn't have a unit with him and that he could get one if he "had to" but he doesn't have one......   It's probably a good idea for your agents to have units available to test with.

4.  The agent promised to call me back after submitting all the information through your service ticket system.  He never called back and he never replied to the ticket.  Furthermore, he never explained how to use the ticketing system.  I spent about 20 minutes figuring it out for myself.  Although this seems minor, not everyone is familiar with your system and not everyone will be as forgiving.

5.  When I called to check on my ticket, I coincidently got the same agent.  After providing my ticket number, he didn't review my ticket before telling me "your flying in beginner mode."  However, I clearly had a picture showing the toggle switch for beginner mode set to off.

6.  The agent put me on hold twice without warning.  Again, common phone etiquette.  

7.  Although we came to a theory about why the issue was occurring, the agent didn't ask if there was anything more he could do for me.  He also didn't ask if I felt the issue was resolved. He just told me to have a good day and disconnected the call.  

8.  I was notified that my ticket was closed without my permission.  Although I understand the urgency to close a ticket, this will be reflected in your survey.

2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-22 10:24
Hello Jamie,
    I opened a ticket with your support.  If you send me a message, I'll provide the  ...

Unfortunately, I'm unable to do direct messages. If you post it here, I would be able to look into both the pictures and the unfortunate incident that occurred. I do apologize for the negative experience you've received.

2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-22 22:55
Unfortunately, I'm unable to do direct messages. If you post it here, I would be able to look into ...

It's 310635
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Thank you for supplying this information. So after further digging, I have confirmed that despite having a distance limit on your unit, the "Aircraft out of Range" warning should not appear. That error message should only populate when you are so far out that you almost or have lost complete RF signal. The distance limit only affects the Main Controller, it does not affect the strength of the radio frequency itself. Receiving that error message may be due to either the positioning of your antennas or potential interference. I would recommend double checking your antenna positioning, then try to fly the unit in a different area if possible. Try to temporarily increase the distance limit to see whether the message consistantly occurs at that distance as well.

I am also ensuring that the appropriate department reviews the complaint. For your own knowledge, you can reply to any of the emails that you received with the ticket #310635 attached and it would reopen the case within their system to continue with correspondence.
2016-6-22
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-22 16:01
Thank you for supplying this information. So after further digging, I have confirmed that despite  ...

DJI- Jamie, Just  want you to know that I think you are doing a good job of answering forum members questions and following through with the members as well . I really appreciate you and Ken a lot .

Just want to say Thanks,

donnie

2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-23 05:01
Thank you for supplying this information. So after further digging, I have confirmed that despite  ...

Hello Jamie,
    I'm now a little more concerned as I thought we had identified the issue.  I can confirm that it happened in 3 different areas and it did seem to correlate with my max distance setting.  On my 3rd flight, I had the max distance setting at a much closer distance.  It still occurred and repetitively so along with the max distance warning.  I never lose signal strength and my antennas are always set to the orientation specified in the manual.  I have one flight in a desert and two flights at two different parks.  The warnings show up there too.  If you want, I can shut off max distance setting and report of the error no longer shows.  I'll reopen my ticket and add the pictures of the other flight logs.
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-23 05:38
Hello Jamie,
    I'm now a little more concerned as I thought we had identified the issue.  I can c ...

The Max distance theory seemed to coincide with the information provided. After speaking with some technicians and testing it myself, however, it may potentially be a RC issue. I tried recreating the error myself as well, but could not get it to appear. Testing the unit with Max Distance off would be helpful. To rule out a false warning from the DJI Go app, please uninstall and reinstall the app. Just to clarify, did you happen to notice this after a firmware update or long term storage?

2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-23 05:25
DJI- Jamie, Just  want you to know that I think you are doing a good job of answering forum members ...

Thank you! Always happy to help.
2016-6-22
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-22 16:38
Hello Jamie,
    I'm now a little more concerned as I thought we had identified the issue.  I can c ...

When the warning comes up that says " Aircrat out of range "   what are the Graph bars indicating on the top of the Go app ?  Are they showing any signs of weak RC signal ?
Also are you using a fixed point as the Home point ? or are you using the RC control as the Home Point ?  Just wondering if during Hover you are moving further away and then getting the warning for the Distance exceeded .  So the Aircraft has not moved but the Rc Transmitter has . The dirift may be just the Pilot has moved ?  

Also what are you using for the device for the Go app ?   and what version is it ?  If it is a proper device and with the Proper go app ( for example 2.8.3 with the apple devices )  I think I would delete and re - install it .  

donnie
2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-22 16:32
Thank you! Always happy to help.

The go app version is 2.8.3.  Jamie has pictures of all my version numbers already and they are current.  The issue occurred on both firmware versions as stated above (1.8.1.00 and 1.9.1.10).  Firmware 1.9.1.10  was reapplied on drone for good measure and it did re-occur (all logs show successfully updated and app reflects it as well).  The drone has a total of 4 flights as it is brand new.  It's about 3 weeks old or so.  You can check the warranty activation date Jamie to be sure.  The go app is run on an iPhone 6 Plus with an official apple cable and the cable is new.  The iPhone has already been reimaged and the app freshly applied.  Signal is full on everything with 19 satellites.  Jamie has that picture.  The home point was fixated and auto created when the drone took off.  I didn't move the entire flight.  I did try setting home point to rc and then did move.  But I noticed the drone won't dynamically re-adjust max distance while I love.  For example, if I set rc home point, fly to max distance, and then walk to a new spot, the max distance remains the same.  The drone will stay where it's last max distance was reached.  You'd think I could move 10 feet and gain 10 feet.  This does not occur.  In either case, I will shy off max distance, fly around, and see if the message pops.  Then I will re-enable max distance, fly around, and see if the message pops.  This is my personal observation, but it seems as though I can fly to max distance, turn the drone to the left or right, and then attempt to fly fly straight.  The drone won't fly straight but rather in a circular curve as it keeps to its max distance and radius.  It is at that pint in time that it drifts outside of max distance and gives the range error.
2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-22 16:25
The Max distance theory seemed to coincide with the information provided. After speaking with some ...

The go app version is 2.8.3.  Jamie has pictures of all my version numbers already and they are current.  The issue occurred on both firmware versions as stated above (1.8.1.00 and 1.9.1.10).  Firmware 1.9.1.10  was reapplied on drone for good measure and it did re-occur (all logs show successfully updated and app reflects it as well).  The drone has a total of 4 flights as it is brand new.  It's about 3 weeks old or so.  You can check the warranty activation date Jamie to be sure.  The go app is run on an iPhone 6 Plus with an official apple cable and the cable is new.  The iPhone has already been reimaged and the app freshly applied.  Signal is full on everything with 19 satellites.  Jamie has that picture.  The home point was fixed and auto created when the drone took off.  I didn't move the entire flight.  I did try setting home point to rc and then did move.  But I noticed the drone won't dynamically re-adjust max distance while I move.  For example, if I set rc home point, fly to max distance, and then walk to a new spot, the max distance remains the same.  The drone will stay where it's last max distance was reached.  You'd think I could move 10 feet and gain 10 feet.  This does not occur.  In either case, I will shut off max distance, fly around, and see if the message pops.  Then I will re-enable max distance, fly around, and see if the message pops.  This is my personal observation, but it seems as though I can fly to max distance, turn the drone to the left or right, and then attempt to fly fly straight.  The drone won't fly straight but rather in a circular curve as it keeps to its max distance and radius.  It is at this point in time that it drifts outside of max distance and gives the range error.
2016-6-22
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-22 18:07
The go app version is 2.8.3.  Jamie has pictures of all my version numbers already and they are cur ...

Can you try another device and install the Go app on it ? This would help in the process of elimination .  Also turn off the Distance limit and see if you get a similar warning ?.  
Also you mentioned it on the flight logs but can you verify that it pops up on the screen as well ? The " Warning  Out of Range "  If it only shows up on the log maybe no one noticed this before.
Also I dont understand that the aircraft wont come back in a straight line , it should not try to stay at the max distance for any reason , that is not the design of max distance ., It is just there to let you know that you are at the programmed  set distance and should keep you within that range .  
The home point can be changed but you are using a fixed "Home Point " correct ?  So that blows my theory of pilot movement

Are you flying in GPS mode as well  "P" mode not "F" mode correct ?  
Just go to my next post I have this figured out .

donnie

Interesting conundrum

2016-6-22
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-22 18:07
The go app version is 2.8.3.  Jamie has pictures of all my version numbers already and they are cur ...

Ok I just went out and duplicated the problem:

The Warning :  "Out of Range "  simply  means that the aircraft has flown out of the designated flight area, I did this simply by aggressively flying downwind towards the edge of the  "green "circle of designation  and then I had the Waning pop up. ( As the aircraft Momentum took it out of the designated area )   Also the Warning of out of the "Max distance "came up  at or near the same time .

I think we were all thinking "RC range" and not simply the aircraft is simply crossed the designated border

In my estimation this is totally normal and benign .

Also, You made note that the Aircraft "flies around In a circle and not back to you"  If you fly to the edge of the Grteen circle and Push the Stick forward you are correct , it will fly in a circular pattern and not in a straight line, It is just following the pattern on the screen , and if it drifts out of the range mometarily the " Out of Range " will pop up .  Once again totally normal and benign .

I think we can call this one case closed and just a case of Mis - identifying what the warnings were pertaining to . Gabe was just explaining what his experience was and I for one thought it was a RC range issue.  I missed this one  but glad I was able to duplicate it exactly .

There is an old saying in Medicine  , "When you hear Hoofbeats think horses not Zebras ".  In the same way , I disregarded the obvious data and went with the Zebra.

any questions

donnie  

2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-22 18:08
Ok I just went out and duplicated the problem:

The Waning :  "Out of Range "  simple means that t ...

Hello Donnie,
    Thanks for putting this to the test.  I suspected this was the case.  The problem with reviewing the active logging data is that it doesn't show the green bubble.  It just shows a replay of the flight.  If I'm correct, the green bubble is actually the radius/diameter that you have set via the maximum distance setting.

I think I confused everyone when I described an example of how I was able to replicate it.  The drone does fly straight.  But when you hit max distance and try to either go forward or turn into it, it naturally follows the curve of the green bubble or radius/diameter.  You also probably noticed that when the range error does occur, the drone has officially gone outside the maximum distance setting.  I think this error is to warn you that you have in fact passed your maximum distance, and it is now forcing you back.  

I do understand the purpose of the maximum distance setting, and I do want it to stop me when I reach the distance that I set.  My only concern was why the range error was coming up if it was supposed to stop you anyway.  
2016-6-22
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-22 19:18
Hello Donnie,
    Thanks for putting this to the test.  I suspected this was the case.  The proble ...

That is it exactly , next time you fly , make the GPS the main screen and you will see the Green Circle .  I am just glad we were able to duplicate the concern and is nothing to be worried about.
I  think the Range Limits are just guidlines and  they can be breached,  I could not always get through the limit, but with some speed or altering course, I could -  I dont think the GPS could keep up and therefore the warning comes up .  

go fly and have fun Gabe  !

donnie  
2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-22 18:22
That is it exactly , next time you fly , make the GPS the main screen and you will see the Green C ...

Will do !   By the way,  I participate on inspire pilots forum too. One of my more popular topics is why the inspire 1 doesn't have any foot protection.  I was able to get some 3D printed skids from an Ebay vendor and pop them on the inspire 1 feet.  It looks pretty good and it's functional.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/med ... dit_date=1466551074

http://www.inspirepilots.com/med ... p;update=1466550992
2016-6-22
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-6-22 19:25
Will do !   By the way,  I participate on inspire pilots forum too. One of my more popula ...

Great Idea , I placed thick felt padded feet on mine the first day I owned it to keep the Landing feet like brand new .  I saw those feet and should order a set as well .
Cheers
donnie

2016-6-22
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-22 18:27
Great Idea , I placed thick felt padded feet on mine the first day I owned it to keep the Landing f ...

I just added pictures to my last post.  The vendor even went through the trouble of putting a little DJI logo on them .   It's the small things but I like it.
2016-6-22
Use props
fansf140eaab
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-22 16:22
That is it exactly , next time you fly , make the GPS the main screen and you will see the Green Circle .  I am just glad we were able to duplicate the concern and is nothing to be worried about.
I  think the Range Limits are just guidlines and  they can be breached,  I could not always get through the limit, but with some speed or altering course, I could -  I dont think the GPS could keep up and therefore the warning comes up .  

What's interesting to me is that you both proved this problem, but DJI don't seem to know that it exists. I had the same thing this morning at a range of 300m over water - you've set my mind at rest.
2018-8-25
Use props
fansf140eaab
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-22 13:01
Thank you for supplying this information. So after further digging, I have confirmed that despite having a distance limit on your unit, the "Aircraft out of Range" warning should not appear. That error message should only populate when you are so far out that you almost or have lost complete RF signal. The distance limit only affects the Main Controller, it does not affect the strength of the radio frequency itself. Receiving that error message may be due to either the positioning of your antennas or potential interference. I would recommend double checking your antenna positioning, then try to fly the unit in a different area if possible. Try to temporarily increase the distance limit to see whether the message consistantly occurs at that distance as well.

I am also ensuring that the appropriate department reviews the complaint. For your own knowledge, you can reply to any of the emails that you received with the ticket #310635 attached and it would reopen the case within their system to continue with correspondence.

"The distance limit only affects the Main Controller, it does not affect the strength of the radio frequency itself. "
No-one was saying that the distance limit affects the strength of the radio frequency, only that exceeding the difference limit triggers the "out of range warning", which it definitely does - I saw this myself today. The idea that the distance limit setting could affect the RF strength is a little goofy.
2018-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules