Differing image and video quality on 'Go' app - normal?
2090 11 2016-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JDC93
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1560371 ft
Canada

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the world of drones, and I've been flying a P3P since December. One thing that has me scratching my head is the difference in quality between the video and camera view on the DJI 'Go' app. I've uploaded two screenshots; both were taken at exactly the same time. You'll notice that the screenshot taken while in the camera view is considerably worse than the screenshot taken in the video view. Is this normal? Admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to digital media.

Camera view

Camera view

Video view

Video view
2016-6-20
Use props
FlyFocal Aerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309062 ft
United States

Yes, this is normal. I'm not 100% sure why this happens but I'm pretty sure it's because the aspect ratio is different from pictures to video. Hope this helps!

FlyFocal
2016-6-20
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

How did you take a "screen shot" in video mode?  I wasn't aware that it was possible but then again I have much to learn.
2016-6-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-6-21 14:05
How did you take a "screen shot" in video mode?  I wasn't aware that it was possible but then again  ...

Google to find out how to screenshot for either Android or Apple devices.
2016-6-20
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
United States

OK.  Thank  you.  Am i correct in stating that the "screen shot" is not a function of the Go app but a function of the android device.
2016-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Goldchucker Posted at 2016-6-21 14:12
OK.  Thank  you.  Am i correct in stating that the "screen shot" is not a function of the Go app but ...

Yes, that is correct, both iOS and Android have the function.
2016-6-20
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
United States

The day wasn't a total loss.  I learned something new.  Thank you.  I appreciate the information and the education.  
2016-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Firstly, as Flyfocal Aerial points out, the video has an aspect ratio of 16:9 while the photo mode has a ratio of 4:3.

Then there is the processing applied at the camera end to send a preview quality feed to the RC unit, and finally there will be a loss of quality due to scaling the two different sizes to fit the mobile devices screen.

It is not intended for the Go App to provide a high quality image, that's what the SD card is for, the aim is to let you expose and frame the shot.

2016-6-20
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

So all you changed was slide between the camera and videocam icon in the middle-right toolbar?

Video1.jpg is slightly wider coverage and less vertical coverage. Video1 appears to be 4K 30fps. Don't know what '35:12' refers to. Is '3,094' JPEG in Camera1.jpg the image width? Could be a matter of scaling and conversion to fit on your MD screen.

How does media saved to the microSD compare?
2016-6-20
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

Confirmed. My MD screen is 4:3. I've set JPEG to 4:3 and video to 16:9. With these parameters, the FPV Camera page does not preserve the aspect ratio of the image and clips the image.  When in Video mode, objects appear skinny. This is not a problem and there is nothing to fix. Your views may differ depending on your settings and MD screen size ratio.
2016-6-21
Use props
JDC93
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1560371 ft
Canada

The media pulled from the SD card are fine and do not exhibit the same fuzziness/distortion as seen on the live feed. The quality issue in the 'Go' app doesn't bother me in the least; I just wanted to make sure that my unit is functioning properly.

Thanks for the help!
2016-6-21
Use props
BalooDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 684501 ft
Denmark

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-21 06:30
So all you changed was slide between the camera and videocam icon in the middle-right toolbar?

Vide ...

Those numbers just tells you how much space is left on the SD card

35:12 minutes of video and 3094 Jpeg images
2016-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules