Power extender and P2V+ Batteries
1686 19 2016-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffbennett
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have a Phantom 2 Vision+ with three batteries and I was extremely disappinted to see that the OSMO battery extender does not support these batteries.

I'm baffled as to why that would be, unless you deliberately want to annoy earlier DJI customers.

These batteries are ridiculously expensive, and so it would be great to find a way to make more use of them.

2016-6-21
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You are right there, it is not fair for phantom 2 customer. DJI want customer to use their selected batteries and chargers. I think that was a reason why the battery extender did not work, I have to wait for the new firmware to allow me to use it with my phantom 4 batteries
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello Geoffbennett,
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Due to the different specification of different batteries, it's not feasible to cover all models. With the development of DJI products, the latest versions of drones will bring you more stability and more reliability, by taking all factors into account, we would always recommend our newly released products for a better user experience.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-21
Use props
geoffbennett
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Adela,
Thank you for your answer.

I have to say it seems like an odd design decision.  Surely there are more P2 owners out there than new P4 owners, and they are more likely to have spare batteries available.  So it might have been better to design the battery extender for the P2 battery format in the first place.

I also can't understand why an electronic circuit could not just convert the power input, and support multiple battery types (P1, P2, P3, P4, Inspire).  It's just a DC voltage.

Hopefully there will be third party solutions that allow P2 batteries to be used.  There are already several home made solutions using low cost LiPo batteries.

It's a pity that DJI does not have more focus on protecting the investment that your customers make in your products.  That would be a good way to promote brand loyalty.  Your engineers will tell you that "customers can either have rapid innovation cycles or investment protection - not both!".  But these engineers are probably in their early twenties and have no experience of long term business evolution :-)

For example, I am now looking to purchase a new drone.  I have an investment in Phantom 2 technology, but that does not work with the P4 (or the OSMO).  So I can easily consider buying a different brand of drone without any cost penalty.  If my P2 batteries could be used with a newer DJI product that would be a big reason to stay with DJI.  Tell that to the engineers!

Cheers,
Geoff
2016-6-21
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I am with you about osmo battery extender 100%.
I think DJI wrote the osmo firmware to reject third party battery and phantom 2 battery can't not send a "smart hand shake" to osmo like phantom 3, 4 and inspire 1 do.
I bought a battery extender but it doesn't work with phantom 4 battery now, DJI has told me that new firmware will fix it.
Why? Because their old firmware could not get the right "smart hand shake" from phantom 4, inspire 1 battery and charger.
2016-6-21
Use props
geoffbennett
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi hungdang,
My sympathies - it seems the battery extender doesn't even work with the batteries it was designed for!

I know there are 3rd party solutions being developed, but if DJI can stop them working by firmware updates that's not a good sign.

DJI will say that they need to make sure the batteries are "safe" and will not damage the OSMO, so this is why they limit the battery types.  But really they should be finding ways to get users to buy more OSMOs, not selling batteries!
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for all of your feedback.
We'll take serious consideration about your concerns.
For any issue, our engineers will work around the clock to provide a proper solution.

Any other suggestion would be appreciated.
2016-6-23
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI support has given me the temporary fix for my osmo battery extender, it is working well (even with phantom 2 vision plus battery). Add me as friend if you want it
2016-6-30
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

hungdang Posted at 2016-7-1 07:09
DJI support has given me the temporary fix for my osmo battery extender, it is working well (even wi ...

I'm interested to know how to get my P2 batteries to work. Please tell. I've added you as a friend.
2016-6-30
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

bleyten Posted at 2016-7-1 14:41
I'm interested to know how to get my P2 batteries to work. Please tell. I've added you as a friend ...

do you have osmo with x3 camera? if yes then give me your email so I can forward the link to you.
You need to buy this cable from DJI, it is for inspire 1 but you can modify it to use with p2v
+ battery
2016-6-30
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

cable from DJI

Osmo - Battery (2 PIN) to DC Power Cable
2016-7-1
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

hungdang Posted at 2016-7-1 15:57
do you have osmo with x3 camera? if yes then give me your email so I can forward the link to you.

Excellent thanks!

bleyten at yahoo
2016-7-1
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Bleyten
Email has been sent
2016-7-1
Use props
GTA skyview
lvl.1

Canada

Seems Crazy But......

Ordered an Osmo with a bunch of accessories June 29, Promo for OSMO came out 3 days later for 2 free batteries and charger. Contacted them and requested they include free batteries. They sent email saying ok. Received product today (July 6th) . no free batteries and charger. Now they are saying return everything and re-order. WHAT, this is crazy. Shipping there and back, crediting visa, paperwork etc. etc. etc. How about. Just sending the batteries and charger and everyone wins? What happened to common sense?
2016-7-6
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

hungdang Posted at 2016-7-1 09:41
Hi Bleyten
Email has been sent

Would you be able to pass on the knowledge to me as well on how to use the Inspire 1 cable for a P2 battery?
2016-7-7
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi Regdawg
Give me your email, I will forward you the link for the firmware. For the inspire 1 cable, I cut one plastic conner so it can be use with p2 battery
2016-7-9
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

hungdang Posted at 2016-7-9 22:41
Hi Regdawg
Give me your email, I will forward you the link for the firmware. For the inspire 1 cable ...

Really appreciate it. So when you say firmware, is this firmware for the Osmo? Also exactly how much more time is gained with using a Phantom battery?

reggieandaya@hotmail.com
2016-7-9
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi RegDawg
Email has been sent
2016-7-9
Use props