FINAL FAA Regulations Released Today (Read!!)
4497 105 2016-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thumb
lvl.4
United States

Heck with their laws, I'll just mount a camera on my 200mph+ RC jet and fly around taking pics and videos since it's a RC Aircraft. I guess drones ar not considered RC Aircraft and need different rules.
2016-6-21
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-6-21 13:43
Thanks for posting. I received the release as well. I feel that the FAA has realized that we are not ...

Aloha roger,

It is hard getting that point across.  I personally think that is the case, but they still have to manage all aspects of the nations airspace and that includes some who are not fond of small and micro UAS.  The commentary in the "Final" document shows that.  Now is the time for us to engage in discussion and provide commentary for the NPRM (National Proposed Rule Making) for the micro UAS (Phantom class).  The FAA has bent over backwards for us and now they need our support if we are to get back our current liberties with our Phantoms.

If you download it, you can search it way more easily than while it is on line.  Use the "Control F" function and enter your search word or words (it accepts at least 2) in the box that opens up on the upper right.  (You can also customize the screen for easy viewing if you take some time to do it.)  

The 624 page rules is too large to attach here but can be downloaded here;

http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-21
Use props
Octoman
lvl.1
United States

shayanza@usc.ed Posted at 2016-6-21 09:09
But who's gonna stop them from doing so anyway

This is the same argument for law abiding gun owners. lol
2016-6-21
Use props
Octoman
lvl.1
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-6-21 10:57
1). The new rules pertain to COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.

2). You no longer need to have a Pilot's license. ...

yep exactly...
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-22 07:52
okay thanks Ken,  I wont worry about it and just try it out sometime. I was hoping they could enli ...

Ya, for sure. It's pretty basic and not much to it
2016-6-21
Use props
davidamark
New

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-21 13:58
Aloha Raptor,

The interpretations are confusing.  The "Final" document (624 pages of it) is  ...

From the press release
"The regulations require pilots to keep an unmanned aircraft within visual line of sight."

Wondering if they are saying that the pilot must keep the UAS within the Line of Sight of the operator and/or the observer?
2016-6-21
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidamark@comc Posted at 2016-6-21 18:48
From the press release
"The regulations require pilots to keep an unmanned aircraft within visual ...

Aloha david,

In this case it is the observer, and the observer has to be in communication with the operator (even if it is radio communication).

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-21
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

I saw on the news last night that the entire ruling on UAV's was 640 pages.....America's finest!
2016-6-22
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

"These new regulations work to harness new innovations safely, to spur job growth, advance critical scientific research and save lives."

Basically FAA is praising himself and saying how useful the rules are.
Does anyone really plan to read through this 600+ pages stuff?
2016-6-22
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-22 07:13
"These new regulations work to harness new innovations safely, to spur job growth, advance critical  ...

If someone pays me, I will! {:4_181:}
2016-6-22
Use props
DronesAbove
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1986896 ft
  • >>>
United States

FAA here in Houston just contacted me back this morning, The Test and Books to study want be available until August...we have 60 days to start mentally focusing on what needs to be done. But as for now, no test available until August. If you are registered like you should be with the FAA you will get notification, and yes in my opinion this is better than the 333!!!!
2016-6-22
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

Octoman Posted at 2016-6-21 17:32
This is the same argument for law abiding gun owners. lol

Yeah I know haha
2016-6-22
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-22 19:13
"These new regulations work to harness new innovations safely, to spur job growth, advance critical  ...

I suggest you read those six hundred and something pages as some of the questions for the test will come off of that
2016-6-22
Use props
davidamark
New

United States

DronesAbove Posted at 2016-6-22 23:02
FAA here in Houston just contacted me back this morning, The Test and Books to study want be availab ...

So if I understand the rulemaking procedure correctly, these regulations go into effect 60 days after publication in the Federal Register.  I am assuming that they were published in the Federal Register yesterday, not 60 days ago.  If my assumption is correct, August 21st would be the effective date of the rules.  But there will be no materials or tests available until August.  Yes?  So for the time being thru late August, no NEW commercial operations will be authorized.  If you don't have a 333 exemption already, you can't fly commercially until the tests are developed.

Wondering who is going to enforce these rules.  The FAA does not have a lot of enforcement people available.  For example, for private pilots, it is extremely rare for a pilot to come into contact with an FAA inspector, like someone doing a ramp check (where they stop pilots and ask for all their documentation like license, radio license, log book, etc).  As commercial drone use gets more common, it will be interesting to see if the FAA asks for additional field staff.
2016-6-22
Use props
davidamark
New

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-22 13:44
Aloha david,

In this case it is the observer, and the observer has to be in communication wi ...

Actually, upon further review of the regulations and the Advisory Circular, the intent of the FAA is clear that the Pilot In Command (PIC) must keep the drone in sight at all times to the extent practical.  Momentary losses of visual contact are acceptable, but the Observer does not assume the pilot's responsibility for keeping the aircraft in site.  The role of the Visual Observer (VO) is to supplement the situational awareness and VLOS of the PIC.

Don't you just love all the acronyms our government uses?
2016-6-22
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidamark@comc Posted at 2016-6-22 13:03
Actually, upon further review of the regulations and the Advisory Circular, the intent of the FAA  ...

Aloha david,

An advisory circular (AC) does not have the force of regulation and is as implied, advisory.  The effect of regulation is in the 624 page Part 107.  The Visual Observer may be in "radio" contact with the operator enabling VLOS as a crew member.  The sUAS crew must have VLOS.  From page 142 of the "Final" (Part 107);
ii. Operational Requirements When Using Visual Observer

The NPRM also proposed a set of operational requirements for operations that use a visual observer. First, the operator and visual observer would be required to maintain effective communication with each other at all times. Under the NPRM, the operator and visual observer would not have to stand close enough to hear each other without technological assistance; instead, they could use a communication-assisting device, such as a radio, to communicate while standing farther apart from each other. Second, the operator would be required to ensure that the visual observer be positioned in a manner that would allow him or her to maintain visual line of sight of the small unmanned aircraft. Third, the operator and visual observer would be required to coordinate to: (1) scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and (2) maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation. This rule will finalize the above provisions as proposed, but, due to the change in the crewmember framework, this rule will refer to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS instead of “operator.”

The FAA has created a command structure for the sUAS operation.  The remote pilot in command is responsible for the flight even though the PIC is not able to see the sUAS for half the flight and uses a phone or radio to communicate with the VO.  And yes, the VO supplements the PIC in such circumstances.  This situation requires the command structure and because of that, the FAA has to refer to the sUAS operator as pilot in command because all other command structures in the FAA regulations refer to the command position of the sUAS operator as a pilot, not an operator.  

Interesting how it all makes sense eventually.  But they sure do make you read plenty before it makes sense!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-22
Use props
davidamark
New

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-23 08:18
Aloha david,

An advisory circular (AC) does not have the force of regulation and is as impli ...

Thanks Cetaman

Here is the verbiage from the AC

I added the emphasis

5.7.2 VO. The use of a VO is optional. The remote PIC may choose to use a VO to supplement
situational awareness and VLOS. Although the remote PIC and person manipulating the
controls must maintain the capability to see the UA
, using one or more VOs allows the
remote PIC and person manipulating the controls to conduct other mission-critical duties
(such as checking displays) while still ensuring situational awareness of the UA. The VO
must be able to effectively communicate:
• The small UA location, attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
• The position of other aircraft or hazards in the airspace; and
• The determination that the UA does not endanger the life or property of another.
5.7.2.1 To ensure that the VO can carry out his or her duties, the remote PIC must
ensure that the VO is positioned in a location where he or she is able to see the
small UA sufficiently to maintain VLOS. The remote PIC can do this by
specifying the location of the VO. The FAA also requires that the remote PIC
and VO coordinate to 1) scan the airspace where the small UA is operating for
any potential collision hazard, and 2) maintain awareness of the position of
the small UA through direct visual observation. This would be accomplished
by the VO maintaining visual contact with the small UA and the surrounding
airspace, and then communicating to the remote PIC and person manipulating
the controls the flight status of the small UA and any hazards which may enter
the area of operation, so that the remote PIC or person manipulating the
controls can take appropriate action.
5.7.2.2 To make this communication possible, the remote PIC, person manipulating
the controls, and VO must work out a method of effective communication,
which does not create a distraction and allows them to understand each other.
The communication method must be determined prior to operation. This
effective communication requirement would permit the use of
communication-assisting devices, such as a hand-held radio, to facilitate
communication from a distance.
It appears to me the FAA is saying that someone must have "eyes on" the UA at all times, but with a VO, the pilot can be looing at video feed, etc. but still must be in a position to be able to see the UA if he/she looks up from the display.
2016-6-22
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidamark@comc Posted at 2016-6-22 14:37
Thanks Cetaman

Here is the verbiage from the AC

Aloha david,

Not only are the acronyms a headache, but bureaucrateze is like a different language.  Your highlight refers to the command structure for which the FAA requires the PIC to be responsible ("must maintain the capability").  This is what I was saying at the end of my post.  That is why the operator, when employing a VO(s), is called a pilot, as in pilot in command.  ". . . while ensuring situational awareness of the UA." refers to the flight crew's capability as a whole.  So, there really is no conflict.  The "pilot" does not have to maintain VLOS, the flight crew does and the pilot is responsible that VLOS is maintained.  The last sentence of 5.7.2.1 describes how that has to be done.  So the AC and the Part 107 rules allow the VO to be the PIC's "eyes" for purposes of VLOS.

As part of the theory mentioned in the "Final Part 107" that I read, I thought that more than one VO could be used but did not come across that specific statement as I skimmed select parts of the document in my searches.  Your citation confirms that suspicion.  Again it all makes sense.  It just takes patience and lots of it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-22
Use props
gerald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5751 ft
United States

So if I already have my TSA Precert as a passenger flying in commercial airports, will the TSA use my Known Traveler Number and get me through the process of registering for my remote Pilot License any quicker? Its the same dept that does the issuing right?
2016-6-22
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gerald@theberzi Posted at 2016-6-22 18:21
So if I already have my TSA Precert as a passenger flying in commercial airports, will the TSA use m ...

Aloha gerald,

Actually, the process is noted on the FAA sUAS web page, but it is still in development;

http://www.faa.gov/uas/

Because of your concern, I read the 10 or 15 pages in the Final Part 107 on TSA Vetting and it does not look good for using the TSA Precert.  The CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) is cited regularly and makes the point that the process has to start anew.  But, the process just uses the information you use to apply for your certification and testing and forwards it on to the TSA.  If there are no problems, then you get cleared in 6 to 10 days (I think, but short time) after the information is submitted.
     Hope that helps!?!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-22
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-21 20:29
Aloha roger,

It is hard getting that point across.  I personally think that is the case, but ...

Thanks big guy. No matter what they do they won't make everyone happy, that is life. The FAA is saddled with everyone's safety in mind. Whatever they decide on I will abide by their wisdom.
2016-6-23
Use props
diiennojs
lvl.1

United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-6-21 13:57
1). The new rules pertain to COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.

2). You no longer need to have a Pilot's license. ...

Thank you. Just what I needed.
2016-6-23
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

From what I can tell, ALL Section 333 that were waiting on a approval have been cancelled. So, anyone who spent money to have the 333 prepared for them, is outta luck.
2016-6-23
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

diiennojs Posted at 2016-6-23 19:47
Thank you. Just what I needed.

But wait! There's more!
2016-6-23
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-6-23 17:02
From what I can tell, ALL Section 333 that were waiting on a approval have been cancelled. So, anyon ...

That sucks...lol
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

FAS1 Posted at 2016-6-24 08:02
From what I can tell, ALL Section 333 that were waiting on a approval have been cancelled. So, anyon ...

Filing the petition for the 333 exemption is pretty straightforward and I could see someone spending $100-$200 to file it if they didn't want to spend a few hours writing it up. Anything over that I can't see spending that kind of money
When they first started issuing them the petitions mostly looked written by lawyers and the petition was 20-40 pages long and I can see the early ones spending money. But later ones I've seen granted exemptions and the petition was only a few pages which could have easily been done in a few hours.And this is for the agerage person wanting to do Real Estate or inspections, not the big companies or the motion picture part of it.
2016-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules