12Next >
21816 74 2016-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
limera1n
New

Poland

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I made drone successfully upgrade to version 9.1.60. Today, after take off I saw a red error "Compass error, Exit P-GPS Mode". In that moment Phantom started to fly in diffrent directions without my interference. It was very hard to land it, twice it nearly crashed into the fence. I tried to: calibrate compass, calibrate IMU, turn off and on, I was flaying on few diffrent terrains away from houses and without energy poles. All systems operate on the full range (GPS, FPV, 4G on phone). I don't know what to do now

Before updating there was no problem, I was flying drone for hours and hours... Anyone can help me?

2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,
Sorry you are experiencing difficulties, are you preforming the compass calibration free from any metal around the aircraft.
Make sure to not have any metal on yourself, keys, cell phone, jewelry, leave the RC/device on the ground several feet away.
2016-6-23
Use props
limera1n
New

Poland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 23:13
Hello,
Sorry you are experiencing difficulties, are you preforming the compass calibration free from ...

Yes, I'am. Before update I had to calibrate compass once and it was no problem with that.
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

limera1n Posted at 2016-6-24 05:21
Yes, I'am. Before update I had to calibrate compass once and it was no problem with that.

If you are preforming the compass calibrations correctly and you are flying in an interference free area and you've also done the IMU calibration on a perfectly flat surface.
It's also never been crashed or landed really hard.
I think you may need to contact support and have it looked at.
2016-6-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The  most common cause of similar symptoms is unnecessarily recalibrating the compass on an area of reinforced concrete (because reinforced concrete is full of steel).
Compass calibration must be done in an open area away from cars, structural steel, electrical cables, buried pipes, reinforced concrete etc.
2016-6-23
Use props
limera1n
New

Poland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 00:05
If you are preforming the compass calibrations correctly and you are flying in an interference fre ...

How its even possible that drone takes off with that kind of problems? When I see "safe to fly" I understand that its safe to fly. It's unacceptable to show critical errors in the air, no in that class of hardware. What if I crashed becouse of it? I am very disappointed...
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

limera1n Posted at 2016-6-24 16:56
How its even possible that drone takes off with that kind of problems? When I see "safe to fly" I  ...

Can you recalibrate the compass in a large open area free from any metal and also preform a IMU calibration on a perfectly flat surface and then let me know if you still have issues.
2016-6-24
Use props
soneerr
lvl.1

Netherlands

Got the same issues! Contacted DJI for it, they keep telling me the same thing: calibrate this, fly here, perform this etc. etc. I've done everything and is driving me crazy. I can't have a normal flight without the fear of wrecking my drone to pieces. I've paid a lot of money for your products, like all the users here. I didn't pay for these kind of errors. ASAP fix.
2016-6-25
Use props
limera1n
New

Croatia

I bought Phantom 3 to take some photos on holidays. Now I am here without my $1000 drone because I sent it to support for repair or something... Thank you DJI, you can be sure that I won't recommend your products to anyone
edited_P_20160626_204328.jpg
2016-6-27
Use props
stefan.jernberg
New

Sweden

Following!
Any new from DJI?
2016-7-8
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

Following also....my unit started doing same thing after I upgraded. No issue previously, unit shows safe to fly but once in air (30 secs or so) compass error comes up.
2016-7-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

QuikSilver15 Posted at 2016-7-9 09:48
Following also....my unit started doing same thing after I upgraded. No issue previously, unit shows ...

To clarify, what Phantom model do you have and what firmware do you currently have on it? Have you performed an IMU calibration and have redone the compass calibration? What areas are you flying in?
2016-7-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

QuikSilver15 Posted at 2016-7-9 11:48
Following also....my unit started doing same thing after I upgraded. No issue previously, unit shows ...

Most likely cause is that you have calibrated your compass near a magnetic influence (elec cables, steel ets)
Calibrating compensates for the distorted magnetic field and when you fly away from the distortion into the earth's normal magnetic field, you have a compass error.

Recalibrate well away from cars, cables, buried pipes and reinforced concrete.
2016-7-8
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-8 22:49
To clarify, what Phantom model do you have and what firmware do you currently have on it? Have you ...

Using a phantom 3 advance with latest firmware on both aircraft and RC flying in a wide open field behind my house.
2016-7-9
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-8 23:35
Most likely cause is that you have calibrated your compass near a magnetic influence (elec cables, ...

Its not that. I calibrated in the same place I usually do with out issues, In my yard next to wide open field. I calibrated the compass twice and did a IMU calibration, still got same error. Will calibrate again and try later this weekend and see if it was a fluke or not.
2016-7-9
Use props
kirgi
New

Norway

Following also.

Updated to 1.9.60 two days ago. After the update compass error started to appear mid-air during every fly – sometimes for couple of seconds, sometimes for about a minute.
IMU calibration and compass calibration (in a wide open field) did not help.

Any ideas?
2016-7-9
Use props
ilmark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 266460 ft
Estonia

Bought a new p3a 2 days ago as a birthday present to myself.. Did the software update to 1.9 at home. Went to open field for a first flight. Did the  IMU calibration. Compass calibration. All good.
Started the drone in "Beginners mode". After ca 30 seconds got the "compass error" and " out of range " messages. Drone went automatically to ATTI mode and due to the wind (i think) it drifted ca 50 m away (beginners mode limit is 30m). Forced it to land and it flipped over. Luckily in one piece.
Went back home. Recalibrated IMU, Compass and in " Beginners mode" started the flight again in the garden. Just took off from the ground ca 1 m (3ft) and let it hover there. All good . As soon as i rotated the drone around its axle, got the compass error again. Drone went to atti mode again and begun to drift away. Forced it to land and it flipped over again so it broke 2 propellers.

Total flight time for a new drone ca 8 minutes. Took the whole thing back to local distributor who will possibly send it back to DJI for a month for "repair"
Was flying previously with another p3a in same locations without any issues both in ATTI and P modes so there is definitely something going on with the new firmware or with specific drone.
2016-7-10
Use props
soneerr
lvl.1

Netherlands

My drone came back from the repair service for this issue. No fix at all. Still the same issues. Open area, all the calibrations: nothing is working. Nice work DJI.
Got myself a drone which I worked really hard for, can't even fly it.
2016-7-12
Use props
btreptel
lvl.1

Australia

DJI? Lots of people having this same problem can you please help I've tried to list all the people with the same issue in my thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-59461-1-1.html
2016-7-31
Use props
kevbmurphy
New

Ireland

I'm having the same problem. Brand new P3P, updated it straight away to the latest firmware. Every single flight that I've taken it more than 10 metres off the ground it give me a compass error and to switch to atti mode. It scared the shite out of me the first time it happened and started drifting but luckily I managed to get it back in one piece.

Has DJI commented on this yet?
2016-8-4
Use props
btreptel
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Surely with this many people we could get a reply?
2016-8-4
Use props
imtack
New

United States

btreptel Posted at 2016-8-4 22:29
DJI Surely with this many people we could get a reply?

mine seems to be same issue has anyone downgraded their firmware to see if thats the issue?
2016-8-5
Use props
stobrien
lvl.1

Canada

imtack Posted at 2016-8-5 19:43
mine seems to be same issue has anyone downgraded their firmware to see if thats the issue?

I am having the Same issue. Looking for a resolve. Love to fly but it is getting frustrating when during my flight I will hear Atti mode 6 times as it gets difficult to fly.
I have updated the app, Updated the firmware.  Calibrated the IMU in an open field. Calibrated the compass in an open Field.
There must be something that can be done.

PLEASE HELP
2016-8-6
Use props
ilmark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 266460 ft

I have had the same issue with brand new P3A. Now after it has spent last 4 weeks in DJI for repair, i received the bird back last evening. Opened the box and went for a test flight. Did the compass calibration with success (i even removed my watch from the wrist for the time)  Just in case started it in "beginners mode".  All indicators were green (safe to fly GPS). Took off from the ground to ca 1 m height (3ft) and made a turn around its axle. immediately got the compass error again.
, drone went to ATTI mode and started to drift away just like before the "repair" i forced it to land and as it still was moving horizontally while landing, it flipped over. Packed the whole thing and returned it to local distributor again.  
2016-8-6
Use props
fredrik862
New

Sweden

Same problem here!

Last week I bought a Phantom 3 Advance. The DJI Go app advised me to upgrade the firmware of the aircraft, the battery and the remote, and so I did.

First flight: Calibrated compass. P-GPS mode. Green light from the app. Takeoff. Hovered at approx. 2m for 5 seconds when I got a red warning in the app: “Compass Error - Switch to ATTI mode”. Aborted flight and landed.

Three more attempts with the exact same result. The location was on a big field on the country side in Sweden, with no visible power lines and very good weather. The compass was calibrated before every flight, in different places on the field.

Second try was 300km from the first. This time I did an IMU calibration before the flight. Compass calibration again. All was green and ready to go. Takeoff. Hovered at 1.2 m (auto takeoff). Error message: “Compass Error - Switch to ATTI mode”. Abort.

Went back to the dealer and returned the p3a and got a new one, no questions asked(!)

Upgraded firmware (P3A, RC + battery). New version of DJI GO was released so I installed it. IMU + compass calibration. P-GPS mode. All green. Takeoff. Hovered at 2m for 15seconds (much better than the first P3A). Error message: “Compass Error - Switch to ATTI mode”. Landed.

Either both Phantoms has the same HW fault, there is a SW bug, I have really bad luck choosing where to calibrate the compass or I’m doing it wrong.

Observation 1: The first flight I followed the advice and switched to ATTI mode, and the Phantom felt more unstable. The following flights, I ignored the recommendation and stayed in P-GPS and it seemed to me that the aircraft probably did make use of GPS, since it did not drift in the wind.

Observation 2: When I look in the flight log in DJI GO, I do not get a Compass error, instead the app says: “Weak GPS signal”, even though it has recorded 18 satellites.

I tried the DJI support chat and they advised me to do compass calibration repeatedly. They also suggested that I should do a compass calibration first, followed by an IMU calibration. I’ll try that tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Configuration:
- Phantom 3 Advanced (v1.9.60)
- Remote (v1.6.0)
- iPad mini 2 (iOS v9.3.4, DJI GO v2.8.6)
2016-8-9
Use props
tino0
lvl.2

United Kingdom

same here. i'm pretty disapointed
2016-8-9
Use props
user4af7db7888
lvl.1

Russia

Hi.

I bought Phantom 3 advansed. Since the first flight of the compass error occurs periodically.

As it turned out the compass error occurs when the copter is directed in front of a + -15 degrees west or north + -15 degrees. I discovered by accident.

Today checked as follows: copter lifted in an open field at 8 meters when the nose copter was sent to the east. After this began to rotate counterclockwise copter and received an compass error when direction to the east + -15 degrees.

If you continue to turn the copter, the error disappears. Calibrating the compass in the open field does not work (clocks, phone, keys, even a chain around my neck is not for me).

Written in support of DJI. Sent me RMA. I'll send for repair.

By the way, who has a compass bug, look what a compass PCB you should. I think that the DJI changed compass chip and PCB, as in older Phantom 3 advansed have another PCB with another compass chip .

UPDATED.

I read reviews of guys who repaired copter error compass in DJI and decided to take a chance to change the compass itself.

There was a compass.

Old compass

Old compass

Now a compass.

New compass

New compass

Out on courtyard of my house where the error was always as I described above. I calibrate the compass. Tested. HOORAY!!!! Everything was great !!! None compass errors!

I check in Litchi. Mission which immediately stopped are now performed without any problems. I will be testing on.
2016-8-23
Use props
Cornscot21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701207 ft
United Kingdom

This has happened to a lot of people, there are threads everywhere on it. Sadly all DJI seem to say is "do an IMU align, make sure your watch/belt/keys etc isn't on you, do a compass align blah blah" - I have not seen a constructive answer or acknowledgement there may be an issue here. I'm not cynical but, I don't believe it can be a dodgy batch as there are folk experiencing it in many different locations worldwide looking at the threads, and there was a firmware 'update' just as the P4 was coming out..... wonder if the "update" was a screw over to get everyone to go out and buy a P4.....
2016-8-23
Use props
ffrank92
lvl.1

Italy

user4af7db7888 Posted at 2016-8-23 18:54
Hi.

I bought Phantom 3 advansed. Since the first flight of the compass error occurs periodically.

I have the same problem . so what do you think about the failure? it's a hardware or software?
2016-9-1
Use props
dak162
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree that there is an issue with your compass that DJI needs to resolve.
For peace of mind, you may want to practice flying in an open field (with wind) while in ATTI mode. That way you have practice manipulating your aircraft without the benefit of GPS or a working compass and you are comfortable doing it. (i.e. In an emergency). That way, at a minimum you can land your P3A and save your investment.

I mention this because before my P3P days, I flew a toy drone with no GPS or hovering capability and the experience I gained with that nightmare has allowed me to save my P3P on a few occasions. (once over a river when my compass when wacky because of marine radar)

Again, I believe your complaint is legitimate, but it would help if you practiced to mitigate the risks to your aircraft and your peace of mind in case it happens unexpectedly again.
2016-9-1
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389839 ft
United Kingdom

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Check my posts for similar issues with my P3S. I am an expert flying in ATTI mode due to the constant errors, it has become second nature to fly this way now. You will probably laugh at this, I was so determined  to ensure there was nothing interfering with the compass calibration that I took my drone out to the middle of a very large field. In the process I was bitten several times by horse flies, had an allergic reaction the following day, my arms were the size of popeye the sailor and was put on steroids for the swelling!!! And all for a bloody drone...........
2016-9-1
Use props
ffrank92
lvl.1

Italy

dak162 Posted at 2016-9-1 20:07
I agree that there is an issue with your compass that DJI needs to resolve.
For peace of mind, you  ...

I'm able to fly in ATTI mode. But I need gps to have a stable fly to have nice pic o video
2016-9-1
Use props
turcotteyan
New
Flight distance : 193314 ft
Canada

Same problem. Brand new p3p updated. Aléas hâte compass error grrrrr
2016-9-3
Use props
ffrank92
lvl.1

Italy

I have Bought it on Amazon so it would be very easy to return. what do you think ? I have to watt for an update ? or ask a Return?
2016-9-3
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

user4af7db7888 Posted at 2016-8-23 10:54
Hi.

so how you fix it ,

it should be clean without that gum ?
2016-9-4
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Watching with interest, as I've had it come up on a few occasions too on my new P3S, and saying weak gps when I've over 12 satellites.
2016-9-4
Use props
simondobbins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

I posted about this a few days ago without response.  Today after updates and re cals including IMU and controller i got Compass error 8mins into flight over large body of water.  Took me 2 mins of wrestling to get it safe and low enough to perform CSC and drop it into grass without harm again.. I now need another set of props (2 in one week)  Really not happy and this was in 2 separate locations away from all interference.  Im flying P3,4K
2016-9-5
Use props
sontae
New
Flight distance : 604777 ft
Canada

Hi,

For those who read this post read this carefully.

Me and my brother in law, got the exact same message a month ago, at the very beginning when this error spread.
Flying and suddenly had a compass error and the drone go to ATTI mode and become difficult to manipulate.

I call DJI, they say without any research, "Send it back to us to California and we will have a check". Of course I did not, because I wanted to be sure, so I flought with it few times, and the errors disappear and I maybe made 3 flights without any problem, and the problem come back yersteday.

I'm pretty sure there is a problem with the drone, I have a lot of flights and NEVER EVER had this.

Dji just don't know where the problem come from, I flew today, and had no problem... It's weird, but if I have an advice DON'T send IT to DJI for repair, they just DONT know what's happen for now.

Pretty sure next upgrade will fix that.
2016-9-5
Use props
ffrank92
lvl.1

Italy

sontae Posted at 2016-9-5 21:40
Hi,

For those who read this post read this carefully.

have you tried to do a downgrade?
2016-9-6
Use props
rodolfo_meza
New

Paraguay

still having troubles with my P3Pro... the SIGNAL LOST issue couldn't be resolved yet... I have a samsung note 4 but previus the upgrade it worked fine... anyone that knows how to fix it?? DJI??
2016-9-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules