Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Adv-Compass Error, Exit PGPS, loosing control after upate
21814 74 2016-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonnqpublic
New
Flight distance : 223409 ft
United States

limera1n Posted at 2016-6-24 02:56
How its even possible that drone takes off with that kind of problems? When I see "safe to fly" I  ...

Had same problem with when new every flight said safe to fly gps then mid flight error and it would switch to atti mode.
I fixed the problem with a new compass  $13 and an hour to install never had an error since no matter where I fly.
2016-9-7
Use props
Benjamin_Harris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135476 ft

Australia

Hi on reading this thread, it seems that you really have to put in a new compass module before you can calibrate the compass after the 1.9.60 update. can anyone else confirm this. I updated the firmware and now it refuses to calibrate.
Is there any log that you can read to see why if failed to calibrate ?
2016-9-9
Use props
sesura
New

Finland

jonnqpublic Posted at 2016-9-8 09:59
Had same problem with when new every flight said safe to fly gps then mid flight error and it woul ...

Could you explain how this was done?
2016-9-9
Use props
d64nova
New

United States

anybody had anyluck with this pretty sh-ty way to fly almost sank mine this weekend not a good feeling
2016-9-21
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

If these issues started after upgrading then downgrade to your original firmware version.. Updating DJI firmware has always been hit or miss..  Once the p3 got its update for waypoints, poi ect I was done updating.. I see the I need to update my firmware everytime I fly it but I will be damned if I go thru that mess again. Firmware had my p3 on a shelf from May 28th 2015 til first week in June cuz DJI botched the firmware. So many people were on this forum complaining and DJI still couldn't acknowledge they messed up and blamed the customer, finally in June an update came out and fixed everyone's p3 amazing since DJI wasn't to blame right, lol..  If the firmware isn't adding any good new features why update? The p3 works flawlessly now and has all its modes, so 1.19 is where I'm staying..  That whole issue us early adopters went thru is why you can even roll the firmware back now, it took 2 months after the p3 was released before you could roll back firmware if the new version caused issues..  

So I recommend if your DJI product works don't fix it!  I wish there was a way to turn the annoying update your firmware message off though, but thank god it's only when I first open the app!
2016-9-21
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

jonnqpublic Posted at 2016-9-7 21:59
Had same problem with when new every flight said safe to fly gps then mid flight error and it woul ...

jonnq-  would you please explain in detail how you replaced the compass, or provide a link to instructions?
I tried to find a way to PM as in other forums, but couldn't see it.

I'm experiencing the same issue, have purchased new landing gear which come with the compass, but a little daunted by the idea of opening her up.  Don't really know where to begin.

Thanks, John
2016-9-25
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never had an issue with over 40 flights but on the last 3 flights I have had these compass error message, and it switched to atti mode with 20 satellites?? and is un responsive the flight contol, while in flight all this after a faultless "GPS Green good to fly" etc - take -off - I upgraded to 1.9.6 firmware 3 flights ago! = Related??
I have recalibrated compass each time ok... but still the error appears
2016-9-25
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-25 10:09
jonnq-  would you please explain in detail how you replaced the compass, or provide a link to inst ...

Thought a report of a successful repair might be helpful.

Found a You Tube video showing how to remove the top cover.  Tricky.  Snaps together plus the screws.

Once cover off, terminal for compass readily accessible.  BTW, during disassembly/reassembly of the leg with compass, I noticed that the compass wires had been badly crimped and partially stripped during original assembly.  Almost certainly the cause of my problem.  Was able to open the wire channel a bit with an Xacto knife so as to not repeat the problem.

Buttoned her up and tested both in front and back of my house, where I had seen compass error previously.  No errors!  Not even a hint.  It will take me some time to develop 100% confidence, but I sure am pleased so far.  

As a previous poster mentioned, $15 for the legs and an hour of time.  MUCH better than sending it back.

Hope this helps.

John
2016-9-26
Use props
FlyingCircles
lvl.3
Flight distance : 76309 ft

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-7-9 11:35
Most likely cause is that you have calibrated your compass near a magnetic influence (elec cables, ...

So wouldn't the opposite be true too.  If you successfully calibrate in a open field away from interference and then fly near an object that creates interference you should get compass error alert, right?
2016-9-26
Use props
FlyingCircles
lvl.3
Flight distance : 76309 ft

rcflyrj Posted at 2016-9-26 21:45
Thought a report of a successful repair might be helpful.

Found a You Tube video showing how to r ...

Can you provide the YouTube link for removing the top cover?
2016-9-26
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

FlyingCircles Posted at 2016-9-26 10:24
Can you provide the YouTube link for removing the top cover?

Not sure how to do that.  But if you go to YouTube, search for "How to open the DJI Phantom 3 - and
a first look inside".  

John

BTW, the author of that video is very helpful with most of the inner plastic latches, but forgets to mention
the 4 smaller ones that are at the center of each pair of arms.  
2016-9-26
Use props
SimonH78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would avoid any repair as this seems to be a firmware issue rather than hardware....
2016-9-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FlyingCircles Posted at 2016-9-27 00:05
So wouldn't the opposite be true too.  If you successfully calibrate in a open field away from int ...

That's possible but much less likely.
While flying, people don't often get so close to a steel object to get a compass error.
I photograph huge steel ships but would have to be within a few metres for the magnetic field of the ship to to register a compass error.
And with smaller steel objects the distance will be much less.

You can see how this works by placing your Phantom on a car roof, manhole cover or reinforced concrete.
The app will show compass error because the compass is in the bottom of the landing gear right on top of the steel.
Slowly lift the Phantom (by hand ) and see how far you need to raise it for the compass error to go away.
2016-9-26
Use props
rcflyrj
lvl.1

United States

SimonH78 Posted at 2016-9-26 12:45
I would avoid any repair as this seems to be a firmware issue rather than hardware....

You are certianly entitled to your opinion, but my issue was clearly hardware!

John
2016-9-27
Use props
warloc59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>

I agree with dji-Ken.  I have the latest firmware also.  I flew today where I hunt every year.  My first attempt?  "Compass stuck" message.  Then I realized my aluminum carrying case was sitting too close to my phantom.  Ditched the case!  And had a great afternoon of trouble free flying.  Tested "Home Lock" by engaging Flight mode and pulled back on the stick bringing the drone right back to me while having it point in another direction. All while flying in a constant 15 mph wind with 20 mph gusts.  Not one hiccup.  
2016-9-27
Use props
rob32trk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106978 ft

You guys from the United States? Only because you're measuring in matrix. I was wondering if your problem is a over seas problem?
2016-9-27
Use props
g69z28
New

United States

Have compass error, can not calibrate compass and can not fly drone.  Everything was fine, until app upgrade.  Looking for suggestions
2016-9-28
Use props
userb9ff932b11
New

United Kingdom

Hey

I am also having the same problem on my p3 pro, I thought it was a firmware problem as it started after doing the upgrade to latest version so I downgraded and it's still comes up with compass error. The same as you when I turn the quad away from me it goes in the atti mode and comes up compass error but when I turn it 180 degree back facing me it goes back flashing green and holds GPS & error goes away. I was given the p3 pro as a gift and the person who brought it no longer lives in the UK so can't get receipt of him to take back so not sure if dji will help. Left with a expensive paper weight in till I can figure it out.
2016-10-11
Use props
userb9ff932b11
New

United Kingdom

Thought i would add When I first turn the P3P on it allows me to calibrate compass but take off and the error comes back so land it and try and recalibrate for it to flash red and say it can't calibrate and to make sure there is no metal near the compass which there isn't
2016-10-11
Use props
a_savvin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55840 ft
Canada

For my dji3 standard 4k i noticed same issue after i calibrated compass the message popup. but same time after take off i was able flying  to use gps mode. Even return to home is working ~ 1 m out of take off. during the flight i did not have any compass related messages.
Actually today I calibrated compass after dji warming up. I was able to calibrate compass w/o any errors.
2016-10-14
Use props
vincent8
New

Singapore

Bought one P3A that flew for nearly a month before updating to the latest firmware; it then crashed due to this reason. Then bought a P3P as a replacement and updated it and it crashed again with this issue! Have recently pre-ordered 2 pcs of the Mavic, will this still be an issue with the software?
2016-10-26
Use props
davido
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8684 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 06:05
If you are preforming the compass calibrations correctly and you are flying in an interference fre ...

I've run into the same issues here.  No matter where I go.. what place I try I get compass errors and I'm informed that the compass needs to be calibrated.

2016-10-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

davido Posted at 2016-10-30 10:45
I've run into the same issues here.  No matter where I go.. what place I try I get compass errors  ...

Can you go to a place with no interference and power everything up and fo to MC Settings, then Advanced, then Sensors and get a screenshot of of the Compass data.
2016-10-29
Use props
tmo1138
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-29 20:39
Can you go to a place with no interference and power everything up and fo to MC Settings, then Adv ...

Define "no interference"?  I get "Atti Mode" and compass errors when I'm 30 feet in the  air! Not much I can do when I'm getting an error in the sky.  Sorry but this is getting very very frustrating.

- davido

2016-10-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tmo1138 Posted at 2016-11-1 00:52
Define "no interference"?  I get "Atti Mode" and compass errors when I'm 30 feet in the  air! Not m ...

If you have done the compass calibration correctly and in an area with no metal around or on your person and you are flying in an are with no metal around (middle of a large field/park) and you are still seeing compass errors then you can try reinstalling the latest firmware to see if that helps (which it may not) solve it.
If nothing works, call 818-235-0789 and see about sending it in.
2016-10-31
Use props
davido-1138
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-31 10:08
If you have done the compass calibration correctly and in an area with no metal around or on your  ...

I'll try a compass reset and get you the screen shot you wanted.  I can also try to reinstall the latest firmware..

How do I force a reinstall of it?  I don't recall seeing an option in the DJI app. I'm guessing I have to copy the firmware to the microSD card? If so what do I do from there? Last I saw trying a re-install just has a log file entry that show some message along the lines of "firmware version already installed".

Thanks Ken. If this stuff doesn't work I'll call and get an RA number.
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

davido-1138 Posted at 2016-11-1 03:51
I'll try a compass reset and get you the screen shot you wanted.  I can also try to reinstall the  ...

You are in a thread titled Phantom Adv so I'm guessing you have an Advanced and here is the link to the firmware and you can reinstall 1.9 or you can downgrade to 1.8 and to see if it clears up.
So yes, you have to download the zip file and extract the BIN file and install that onto the SD card.
In the Academy section of the GO app, there are tutorial videos showing how to update.
http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads
2016-10-31
Use props
davido-1138
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 11:39
Can you go to a place with no interference and power everything up and fo to MC Settings, then Adv ...

DJI-Ken

I tried another round of compass calibrations.. etc.  Here's the the complete sequence of screen captures.

http://imgur.com/a/Nw9Rv

But to sum up...

Here's one before I try my first flight... So far so good.. no errors from the Phantom

Here's another after the "Compass error" appears.

2016-11-2
Use props
Basetau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1471824 ft
Australia

I am having same issue after upgrading my firmware last week. I had it only for 2 weeks now. It flew ok for 4 days. Once I have done the firmware update it is showing "strong interference" and time to time GPS signal lost exit P mode. Drone drift straight away with the wind at that point. Disappointingly what DJI said regarding warranty is "Customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product. However, depending on part availability, customers can obtain cross-regional repair service at an additional charge". My drone is 2 weeks old and I bought it from online, from outside Australia. The company I bought it from is not responding my email and if I call them they said they will call me back but it is over 5 days and issue remain. I have done IMU and compass calibration. I have attached a link to look at my flight data. Can anyone please give me some advise. IF YOU CAN PLESE LOOK AT THE LAST 5 SECOND IT HAS 10 SATELITE BUT EXIT FROM GPS MODE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxkohz ... 5287352693.mp4?dl=0
2016-11-22
Use props
meltedmantis
New

United States

My p3s is not even a week old,  fully updated the firmware...  every single flight results in these errors and gps loss.  DJI rep said send it in but it sounds like there is something going on, and that it would not help.  I'm thinking of just returning it before the week is up.  
2016-11-29
Use props
fanse9ec79b6
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I updated and the same thing happened to me. I have flown many times from this location and I got a compass error in flight. The Phantom Advanced then rapidly flew away from me, I had no control and lost signal. The app then froze, It disappeared after less than 3 minutes in the air. I activated the RTH and it never worked. The drone has flown off and sadly I cant find it. I have contacted support and I am waiting to hear from them. My drone worked perfectly until this app update. Viewing the logs on my DJI GO app it shows the drone behaving crazy, and flying itself away from me at pretty fast speeds. I updated the home point and calibrated it correctly as I always do. It is unreal that this has happened.
2016-11-30
Use props
360Video
New

Israel

Good new - New Firmware fixed me the Compass Error, Exit PGPS problem and it looks like it solved
This is a link to the Firmware number 1.10.90
Let me know if it helped you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/P3S_FW_V01.10.0090.zip

Best regards
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rodolfo_meza Posted at 2016-9-6 04:26
still having troubles with my P3Pro... the SIGNAL LOST issue couldn't be resolved yet... I have a samsung note 4 but previus the upgrade it worked fine... anyone that knows how to fix it?? DJI??

Is your firmware on the RC and aircraft on the latest update?
Have you tried a different device or USB cable?
You have USB debugging and developer options enabled?
2016-12-8
Use props
cwillm
New

United States

I've only had my P3S for a week but encountered this issue a couple times during my first few flights. I found the issue would occur when I placed my index fingers along the top of the controller, with each finger curved along the top of the controller and sort of pointed to the antenna. This was just a natural way to hold the controller for me.

However after realizing this may be the cause (maybe the fingers are blocking the signal from controller??), I started to hold the controller differently, keeping my index fingers down on the back of the controller w/ my other fingers. I have not encountered the issue since.

Has anyone else had this experience? Anyone having this issue find that they hold the controller in a similar way?

I hope this fixes the problem for others as it has for me.
2016-12-25
Use props
fansce9f006f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3583675 ft
Indonesia

cwillm Posted at 2016-12-25 12:07
I've only had my P3S for a week but encountered this issue a couple times during my first few flights. I found the issue would occur when I placed my index fingers along the top of the controller, with each finger curved along the top of the controller and sort of pointed to the antenna. This was just a natural way to hold the controller for me.

However after realizing this may be the cause (maybe the fingers are blocking the signal from controller??), I started to hold the controller differently, keeping my index fingers down on the back of the controller w/ my other fingers. I have not encountered the issue since.

There is nothing related between compass error vs RC signal.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules