Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to get drone pilot certificate
4764 36 2016-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

not sure if any of you saw this, but it has more of the information I was looking for regarding the new FAA rules.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_s ... ss/becoming_a_pilot
2016-6-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting.
2016-6-23
Use props
snathla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any idea on the content that needs to be read to pass the test, called the local facility in Concord CA and they indicated they would just provide testing service when available in August.

Question on how to get ready for the test?
2016-6-23
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, this looks like what the FAA would produce and seems to be fairly written for all new drone pilots wanting a UAS license.

Thanks for posting the link for everyone

Rich
2016-6-23
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
United States

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-23 21:28
Any idea on the content that needs to be read to pass the test, called the local facility in Concord ...

Here's a link to the study guide...  Look for part 107 sUAS course if link is broken:

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ ... 26&crID=1436761
2016-6-24
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

So if I am reading this correctly we still need a sport pilot license? I only ask this because of this section

"This course is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders who have a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56) and wish to obtain a part 107 remote pilot certificate with an sUAS rating. References to “part 61 pilot certificate holders” specifically refer to holders of pilot certificates other than student pilot certificates. Part 61 pilot certificates include sport pilot, recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot and air transport pilot certificates."

2016-6-24
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
United States

Rinzler Posted at 2016-6-24 10:29
So if I am reading this correctly we still need a sport pilot license? I only ask this because of th ...

"Others may take this course as a self-study resource, including:

Applicants for a part 107 remote pilot certificate who do not hold a part 61 pilot certificate (or part 61 pilot certificate holders without a current flight review)
Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs)
Anyone interested in learning more about 14 CFR part 107"
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Rinzler Posted at 2016-6-24 22:29
So if I am reading this correctly we still need a sport pilot license? I only ask this because of th ...

As of tight now to operate commercially you need a 333 exemption. But that's all changing and you will take a test at a FAA testing facility starting sometime in August or later.
For people who currently have a pilots license, they can take this online test to and get the Remote Pilot certification.
You can use the test as a study guide.
2016-6-24
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 19:59
As of tight now to operate commercially you need a 333 exemption. But that's all changing and you  ...

Gotcha. Thanks Ken
2016-6-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

No problem at all.
2016-6-26
Use props
Dragonflyin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16562 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, Ken...so, is there a way to see and use the test as a study guide if I am not currently a pilot?  That would be really helpful, Thanks.
2016-6-26
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ken are you going to get this new rating?

Rich
2016-6-26
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
United States

Dragonflyin Posted at 2016-6-26 23:24
Thanks, Ken...so, is there a way to see and use the test as a study guide if I am not currently a pi ...

Go to the link I posted...  Then create an account and you can go through the course/study guide
2016-6-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

These comments are fine as far as they go, but there's something major missing.

The self-study course offered by the FAA for Part 61 pilots is being offered specifically to pilots for an important reason: it's missing a lot of material that pilots already know.  So you can take that course online for free, but it does NOT teach you everything you'll need to know to pass the knowledge test in August.  As far as I know, no one is yet offering a comprehensive course that someone off the street can take and then pass the knowledge test.

Two areas I know for certain you'll be tested on are how to read navigation charts (specifically sectional charts) and how to read FAA weather briefings, such as Meteorological Terminal Aviation Routine ("METAR") forecasts.  Personally I think it's a huge overreach to require drone pilots to know how to read either one, but this is the FAA we're talking about.  They want you to be able to look at a sectional chart and not only see if you're flying near an airport or restricted area, but also see if you're flying in an area with greater traffic density (such as near a VFR checkpoint).  Sectional charts use tiny symbols that have very precise meanings - the VFR checkpoint, for instance, looks like the flag flying at the hole on a putting green.  And a METAR forecast is written as very precise notation - a typical METAR report looks like this:

METAR KTTN 051853Z 04011KT 1/2SM VCTS SN FZFG BKN003 OVC010 M02/M02 A3006 RMK AO2 TSB40 SLP176 P0002 T10171017=

Hopefully some time between now and the end of August the FAA will release (in reader-friendly terms) a precise list of exactly what you need to learn in addition to their online course, so you can self-study it on your own, AND some third-party providers will put together a complete Remote Pilot course that covers everything.  In the meantime the online course for Part 61 pilots is free and may be taken by anyone, but just remember it is NOT a complete course and assumes you already have all the knowledge of a Private Pilot at the time you take it.
2016-6-27
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2016-6-28 12:25

The self-study cour ...

The Draft Unmaned Aircraft Systems Airman Certification Standrards, FAA-S-ACS-10, is available for download and review, but won't be official until released by the FAA Flight Standards Service.

As drafted, the Remote Pilot certification exam will cover to following five areas:

I)   Regulations                    -> 15-25%
II)  Airspace & Requirements -> 8-15%
III) Weather                         -> 11-16%
IV)  Loading and Performance -> 7 - 11%
V)   Operations                      -> 13-18%

The exam is planned to be sixty (60) objective, multiple-choice questions, with a single correct resonse for each test question. Each question is independent of all other questions.

The draft FAA-S-ACS-10 can be downloaded from the FAA at this link -> click this link to downlad the draft Certification Standards
2016-6-28
Use props
SteadyWTF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2016-6-28 00:25

The self-study cour ...

Auburn University will be teaching a course.  
2016-6-28
Use props
wolftj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

A bit off the specific topic but if you want a good resource for METARs, the app AeroWeather is very simple. It shows the raw METAR or a decoded plain english version of the METAR. Good for studying if you're new to it, great for checking weather for flying or travel.

METARs (METeorological Aerodrome Report) aren't forecasts, simply observations. Occasionally they will contain weather that is observed moving in or out of an area but TAFs (Terminal Aerodrome Forecast) are the forecast product that may be part of the knowledge test. Don't know this for sure but if you can read a METAR you'll be able to decode a TAF for the most part.

There has been a push to get away from the coded METAR reports and go to plain english. Hopefully this will actually happen soon so this all may be a non-issue.
2016-6-29
Use props
sambarnes90
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Of obviously if you're in the UK you'll need some CAA training if you want to fly commercially at all.

What you actually need is a PfAW (Permissions for Aerial Work).

Something like this would be worth doing if you're going to do anything commercial.
2016-6-29
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

I did the test online - took about 1 hour to read and do the test. Unfortunately IACRA is not set-up yet.   As far as reading METARs - you get used to it.  When I was in school getting my PPL I would just check them everyday and had a little decoder - after a couple of weeks it's pretty easy. I also read the AF which is available on ForeFlight - for those of you that use that...
2016-6-30
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
Flight distance : 546273 ft
  • >>>

PeteGould Posted at 2016-6-28 12:25

The self-study cour ...

The FAA requires most things to protect itself and make it easy to go after you.
At least this has been my experience after 27 years as a line pilot
2016-6-30
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

Sky Lens Posted at 2016-6-30 23:10
The FAA requires most things to protect itself and make it easy to go after you.
At least this has ...

FAA Motto:  "We're not happy, till your not happy."
2016-6-30
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

david@eminitrad Posted at 2016-6-30 22:33
I did the test online - took about 1 hour to read and do the test. Unfortunately IACRA is not set-up ...

How were did you do the test? Thanks
2016-6-30
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-7-1 00:37
How were did you do the test? Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I am a pilot so I have an account that FAA and was able to log in, read the content, take the test, and print the certificate.

I then have to log in to IACRA and then get a DPE or CFI to do the rest. However the IACRA system is not updated and I am told it will be August before its updated.
2016-6-30
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

I would say half of the exam was on drone stuff and the other half was on general pilot knowledge that any pilot would know (part 61)
2016-6-30
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>

Ok so I took the exam and i got my certificate of Achievement Whats next?
2016-6-30
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-7-1 03:23
Ok so I took the exam and i got my certificate of Achievement Whats next?

In August you will go on IACRA and fill out the form - then go find a DPE or CFI and they will take care of the rest.  
2016-6-30
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david@eminitrad Posted at 2016-6-30 17:08
In August you will go on IACRA and fill out the form - then go find a DPE or CFI and they will tak ...

So I thought the test was the only thing we needed to take
2016-6-30
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-7-1 05:39
So I thought the test was the only thing we needed to take

It is if you are a licensed pilot. You still have to take the certificate from FAA to a DPE and then it will show up on your normal pilots license
2016-6-30
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david@eminitrad Posted at 2016-6-30 21:41
It is if you are a licensed pilot. You still have to take the certificate from FAA to a DPE and th ...

But I am not a pilot
2016-6-30
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

Ok then you need to take the test at an FAA authorized testing facility if I understand correctly. Taking the test online will only be accepted by a DPE/CFI if you are a current pilot with BFR. But in any event you already passed it - and it's easy - so just schedule at a testing facility and you should be all set. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
2016-6-30
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david@eminitrad Posted at 2016-6-30 22:21
Ok then you need to take the test at an FAA authorized testing facility if I understand correctly. ...

Awesome. Wonder if the questions in the FAA testing facility will be the same as what I took onlin
2016-7-1
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2016-7-1 16:04
Awesome. Wonder if the questions in the FAA testing facility will be the same as what I took onlin ...

IT will be similar. I've taken a few FAA written exams and after awhile they are all the same   You will do fine!
2016-7-1
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
  • >>>

david@eminitrad Posted at 2016-7-1 19:57
IT will be similar. I've taken a few FAA written exams and after awhile they are all the same    ...

Hope so Thanks
2016-7-1
Use props
fansd60f2c56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I passed my UAS 107 recently and you don't have to spend a lot of money to do so. Here's my preparation experience. I used a Google app call UAS107. Used it for 70% (30% YouTube sectional chart videos) of my prep for the exam; and the app only cost me $4. Passed on my 1st try with an 85%. My total cost to pass the exam: $4 for UAS107 app $150 for the test exam fee ———————————– $154.00 Here is the link to the app for anyone interested: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... otix.labs&hl=en
2017-2-21
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I used remotepilot101.com to study and pass my 107.  Great video based study classes.
2017-2-23
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
Flight distance : 408343 ft
United States

JohnnieYaz Posted at 2017-2-23 09:15
I used remotepilot101.com to study and pass my 107.  Great video based study classes.

I also used RemotePilot101.  One week of just watching the videos, then one week of practicing with SkyVector, then passed the exam the 3rd week.  The great thing about that site is free update videos as the regulations change.
2017-2-23
Use props
cazinoaz6
lvl.1

United States

does my regular pilots licence qualify me for drone operation?
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules