12603 12 2016-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
julmirecki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368186 ft
United States

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone can explain the function of the "Hardware Decoding".
If I enable this, my live video from the Phantom 3P is very choppy and freezes for a few seconds. It is impassible to fly in that state.
The recorded video is fine.

Thanks.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

It's basically decoding the video. https://www.quora.com/What-is-th ... d-software-decoding
What device are you using, how does it preform when it's disabled?
2016-6-24
Use props
julmirecki
lvl.2
United States

I am using iPad mini 2 and the firmware 1.8. If I disable this function the video is OK (some artifacts, but not as bad as  enabled).
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

julmirecki Posted at 2016-6-25 00:17
I am using iPad mini 2 and the firmware 1.8. If I disable this function the video is OK (some artifa ...

OK, leave it off. Also, make sure to close all other running apps.
2016-6-24
Use props
gspir1
lvl.2
Greece

ok but can someone explain to us what is the hardware deconing of video and when (and why) we should (or shouldn't) enable it ?
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

gspir1 Posted at 2016-6-25 01:38
ok but can someone explain to us what is the hardware deconing of video and when (and why) we should ...

Corrected and posted a link. https://www.quora.com/What-is-th ... d-software-decoding
2016-6-24
Use props
julmirecki
lvl.2
United States

Still not clear to me when do I enable Hardware decoding and for witch device (I'm using iPad mini 2).
I searched different blogs and none has any solid answer. Most blame overheating issue with some iPads, I don't subscribe to this theory.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

julmirecki Posted at 2016-6-25 03:22
Still not clear to me when do I enable Hardware decoding and for witch device (I'm using iPad mini 2 ...

The point of hardware decoding is to help reallocate the processing power with iOS devices to help reduce overheating and improve overall functionality. It's primarily used with iOS devices with A8 processors (iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 6) and above. While it would not hurt to have on an iPad Mini 2, which has an A7, it will not show any real improvement to the functionality of the GO app.
2016-6-24
Use props
julmirecki
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, that makes sense now.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

julmirecki Posted at 2016-6-25 08:13
Thanks, that makes sense now.

No problem
2016-6-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Using an iPad Air2 64gb Cellular here, with my Phantom 3 Pro', & I leave my Enable Hardware Decoding on at all times.
My iPad always remains cool, even after four consecutive intelligent flight batteries.

RedHotPoker

2016-6-24
Use props
ipong
New

Thailand

i just have mavic pro, i have the problems with my mavic is not stable when i flight in house and night flight. it's any idea with low light.
2017-1-28
Use props
indemanddrones
lvl.1

United States

So I too have a pretty consistent problem with my video transmission on my ipad mini 2 being freexing for a prolonged period, pixelated, and just difficult to see what shots I am getting/ recording. I turn off Wifi, bluetooth,...I thought that the ipad mini 2 was the best viewing option to use with my P4P.  Since I live in Florida, heat is always an issue flying. I have also read that changing the transmission frequency, I'm guessing from AUTO to Custom, helps as well?

First, where is the hardware decoder located inside my ipad mini 2 because I can not find it? What is a better viewing option that is more conducive to my environment then to use? i need to make $$. Thx

2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules