AIRFRAME TAG
1162 5 2016-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

This was asked last year when many of us on the forum were one of the first purchasers of the first Inspires to be released, but I am not aware of DJI actually confirming the purpose of the Airframe Tag.
If this is removed, this is obviously reducing the actual weight of the aircraft, so must add to the flight time.

Can any of the DJI moderators please confirm the pupose of this tag and if removal will have any affect on performance.

2016-6-24
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, I think it is decorative, like an emblem on a car.
But, how much more flight time can one think would result from removing 3-4gm?
It is not a solid piece of aluminum. It is a shell.
2016-6-24
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Adding another opinion/guess, I think it's purpose could be three-fold:

1) Center of gravity -> The aircraft is clearly front heavy until the battery is inserted. The weight of the metal tag could be initial engineering to move the center of gravity rearward. But since nothing was added to this area with the Pro/RAW, it may be more than offset by motor thrust...
2) Rear-battery cage protection -> The battery cage is plastic and any rear-facing obstacles might penetrate the battery from the rear. This metal tag provides structural integrity, battery protection, and added stability to the frame an it is like a rear-facing body-armor....
3) Rear Cable protection -> There's a flat ribbon cable that runs from the main power distribution block at the front of the battery compartment, underneath the battery compartment, where cable slack is folded up and this runs under the metal tag, then up inside the battery compartment to the tail light led and the micro usb data port. Protection of this cable is the most obvious reason you would not want to remove the tag and have the cable flapping in the breeze...
2016-6-25
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

terrylewis Posted at 2016-6-25 17:01
Adding another opinion/guess, I think it's purpose could be three-fold:

1) Center of gravity -> The ...

Your No.1 can not be the case since there is 100gram difference in the TB47 v 48 so 4grams on the pretty plate will make zero difference to COG and easily offset by the difference in the two battery weights.
2016-6-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

pretty sure this is a cosmetic DJI firm-badging ... if you noticed they added Made in China on the newer aircraft

Rich
2016-6-26
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I am pretty sure it is cosmetic also, but would be nice to get DJI to confirm.  If its not needed its less weight at the end of the day even it f adds a couple of minutes to flight duration it would all add up.  

At the end of the day if its not needed why have it there in the first place ??
2016-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules