Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yet another accident - Canada
1591 10 2016-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

2016-6-24
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be nice to know the story behind the mishap. Very dangerous looking based on the short clip!!

Rich
2016-6-24
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-25 13:52
It would be nice to know the story behind the mishap. Very dangerous looking based on the short clip ...

Engadget Phantom news
2016-6-24
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is bound to happen, more regulation won't help. Not flying above crowds will.
2016-6-25
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>

An "accident" is an unforeseen event. If I stick my hand in a pool full of sharks 100 times and I get bit on the 101st, that's no accident, that was a statistical certainty. Drones are machines, sooner or later they break. Morons who ignore the rules are accidents in the making. Go to a drone forum and read how many idiots believe it's ok to fly over people and ignore safety rules. All the new FAA rules means is more dummies in the sky without the benefit of a rigorous flight examination like licensed pilots must complete, where decision making ability and judgment is tested. Part 107 just doomed the industry.
2016-6-25
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-6-25 11:12
An "accident" is an unforeseen event. If I stick my hand in a pool full of sharks 100 times and I ge ...

GASP, LP!  While I agree with the shark analogy, this case has nothing to do with 107 nor this example.  The commercial rules were overly restrictive for professionals while giving the skies to the recreational users.  Some say to just tax the industry more.  I've seen licensed pilots totally f@#k around with drones in way they would never do with their G5.  You know what I mean?  How many kids drive safely on their DL Exam while months down the road start drag racing, driving drunk, whatever.  You just can police stupid I'm afraid...
2016-6-25
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam1 Posted at 2016-6-26 00:31
GASP, LP!  While I agree with the shark analogy, this case has nothing to do with 107 nor this exa ...

"You just can police stupid I'm afraid..." True but you can try. Yes, I know licensed pilots I wouldn't trust with a kite. However, you can minimize risk. Licensing 16 YOAs as commercial UAS  pilots, rather than 18 or 21, just encourages the flood of fools.
2016-6-25
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-25 13:52
It would be nice to know the story behind the mishap. Very dangerous looking based on the short clip ...

Hope Transport Canada grounds him permanently and the victim sues him for every dollar he has. That is the only avenue to banishing morons from the skies.
2016-6-25
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-6-25 10:20
Hope Transport Canada grounds him permanently and the victim sues him for every dollar he has. Tha ...

LP
I agree with your analogy and unfortunately because these aircraft have been made easy to fly... more morons will get the hands on them. In the old days you had to learn how to fly ... practice.. practice.. practice..( practice makes perfect)  if it was to hard some folks would quit.

regulations will not fix this
Rich
2016-6-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2016-6-25 12:03
"You just can police stupid I'm afraid..." True but you can try. Yes, I know licensed pilots I woul ...

It is hard to figure out the circumstance on this , the only way to prevent accident 100% is not to fly .  I once had a fly off,( first one in 26 years of flying RC,) it could have gone anywhere, it landed almost 5 miles away on a farmers front lawn , it could have been a lot worse. It traveled over populated areas and a Major expressway.  I am sure glad I did not hit someone, but it was a statistical (Low ) possibility .  

This pilot was more than likely over the crowd and somehow lost all power, I bet he feels terrible .  the lesson that can be learned here is to never fly over crowds, I feel very confident in my flying and would never feel comfortable over a crowd like that.  

The challenge we have with this Plug and Play technology is anyone can be a pilot, when you would spend hundreds of hours building and learning to fly , you would never take chances with the chance of a crash, Now pretty much anyone can fly , the challenge is they dont know what to do when things go bad in the air or dont understand battery limitations etc.

Regulations and mandatory training is on the Horizon.  

donnie   
2016-6-25
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-26 02:43
It is hard to figure out the circumstance on this , the only way to prevent accident 100% is not t ...

Agreed. That's why we have rules, and this guy broke #1. Stuff breaks and that is the singlemost reason not to fly over people. Airmanship is not intuitive, it is learned (every hour I spend with a CFI getting my private, and commercial certificate was invaluable). That is why the new USA Part 107 rules will not fix this, it'll make it worse. Every knucklehead who injures someone will use, as a first line of defense, "but I am a FAA certified remote pilot." The public, nor the uncurious media, will not understand it's just a meaningless written exam any 16 YOA can pass.

I recently performed a demonstration for a group of law enforcement officers interested in working on their own public COA. . I gave them a schematic diagram showing my launch point, my line of flight, and most important, the spectator area. The demo was conducted relying on "air show rules" always aligning the flight path (the line of energy/momentum parallel to the crowd, should anything go wrong the bird would continue to move perpendicular to the spectators and not into them). I'd like to think the average newly minted FAA Remote Pilot would always play it this safe...but I know better.
2016-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules