DJI P3 Advanced - COMPASS ERROR
3583 15 2016-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
soneerr
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a drone for my work as photographer.
On my first flight I already noticed an error: COMPASS ERROR - Exit P-GPS Mode
I ignored it at first, because I wasn't really sure if this was a real problem. I thought the error would go away.
No luck, after a couple of weeks, and some more hours of flying, the error didn't go away. Some of the times I even lost the control on my drone. The drone just didn't respond to my commands and was going his own way. (no steady-hovering, flying in strange directions)

I didn't fly in wide open area's at first, I flew in my street with a couple of cars. I thought maybe that was the problem. I decided to fly in an open area, but even then I got the same compass error.

For a company like DJI, I'm expecting that I can fly between a couple of cars. That's really the least I expect from them. I paid so much money on this drone and I didn't buy this thing to only fly in the 'open fields'. Let go, even in the open fields it isn't working. I don't want to be afraid every second I fly the drone by some kind of error I can't do a thing about.

I suppose this is some sort of glitch or my compass is messed up. The compass is not THAT sensitive, right?
I tried contacting the DJI service but they are taking ages to come with good solutions. They just keep repeating the 'basic calibration' advices. Not working, tried it all.
Running the latest firmware etc etc.

I saw a post where someone told something about 'demagnetizing' the compass. Anyone got experience with that?

I'm sorry if I wrote this a bit frustated. Cause I am a bit frustrated.
Ever since I bought it, I got problems.

I hope someone can help me with this!
2016-6-25
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

In an area away from ferrous and other magnetic material, underground pipes, structural steel, wrist watches, etc., open the map view of DJI Go app and observe the red arrow representing the aircraft as you rotate the aircraft slowly around its vertical axis with the motors off. Have the compass locked (to North) for this. Does the red arrow always point to the correct compass heading? Can you verify North by another means such as a mountaineer's compass or a compass app on your mobile device?
2016-6-25
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

A couple of questions.......

1). Have you attached abxolutely anything to the drone that it didn't come with?

2). Have you tried a full IMU calibration?

3). Are you sure you understand the compass calibration technique?

4). Have you opened the app while the Phantom is connected and looked at the Compass values and also the MOD value?   If so, what were they?

That said, yes, it is entirely possible to have a defective compass straight from the factory.
There is no such thing as imperfection free manufacturing.    Even under ISO certificationa.
2016-6-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It sounds like you have not obtained a good compass calibration in the first place. If the calibration is bad, then you can quite easily get compass errors in flight. And yes, the compass is that sensitive. The errors you are getting in flight is the compass telling you that the readings do not compare well to those taken at the point of calibration.

So, my suggestion is that you take thre aircraft to a clear patch of ground, well away from any metal, concrete or other man-made objects and perform another compass calibration.
2016-6-25
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

You keep flying the drone after it lost control for several times?  Jee...

If the calibration for compass doesn't work, you should return it to DJI for repair, it probably takes about two weeks.
2016-6-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Because there's no indication in what you write that you have read the manual, I'd suggest you stop flying until you have read this:  https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _en_v1.8_160330.zip
2016-6-26
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is not a problem with your DJI product my friend. You have to calibrate your compass. Not necessarily each time that you fly unless you travel a great distance. Please understand that DJI ships worldwide. There is a huge difference from the magnetic field where the product is made and where you are.
Your stabilization system depends on accurate compass and GPS levels. This is why your Phantom is drifting.
Take a moment and check Youtube for a quick tutorial on compass calibration.
I must say that hitting on DJI for your issue is totally unfair.
2016-6-26
Use props
soneerr
lvl.1

Netherlands

I've calibrated the compass so many times. It doesn't work.
2016-6-26
Use props
soneerr
lvl.1

Netherlands

rodger Posted at 2016-6-26 14:58
This is not a problem with your DJI product my friend. You have to calibrate your compass. Not neces ...

I've calibrated the compass several times, that isn't the problem.
2016-6-26
Use props
soneerr
lvl.1

Netherlands

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-26 11:43
You keep flying the drone after it lost control for several times?  Jee...

No, that's why I don't fly it anymore.
2016-6-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

soneerr Posted at 2016-6-26 13:30

There is at least one other report here (and maybe more) of compass sensitivity.

So - if you are certain that you have calibrated it in a safe area (no metal in your pockets, nearby, etc.) and these errors continue, your options are:

1. Try shots in the dark - such as IMU calibration, reinstall of app and firmware - then recal of compass.
If this doesn't make the constant errors go away
2. Contact DJI and return for service under warranty.

It should not happen if things are right

Note - other than hardware (compass), it could be a bug in the DJI software or firmware - the only way to get around this are:
1. Try the former (older) firmware.
or
2. Wait for a newer release of firmware to see if they squash the bug.....

if that doesn't work - the warranty return is the way to go...
2016-6-26
Use props
bwaler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3314541 ft
United States

I've had a lot more compass issues lately on my P3S. I've found that simply landing, turning off the battery and rebooting solves most compass errors. Worst-case I may have to do a compass calibration.
2016-6-26
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello soneerr, please try to calibrate the compass in places free of metal materials including cars and buildings. The compass will be influenced when flying in strong magnetic field areas. 飞行环境.JPG
2016-6-26
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

soneerr Posted at 2016-6-26 13:30

You have probably already tried, Do an IMU Cal on a flat level surface. I will tell you this, I was flying my P4 yesterday and switched into ATTI and the Phantom took off like a Rocket heading North. I did it a couple of times and the same thing happened each time. When I went back into GPS P it recovered and went into a Hover. My previous Phantoms never reacted like that. I am going to try it in another area.
2016-6-27
Use props
planetpapi-sp
New

United States

My brand new Phantom 3 Advanced, 2nd flight has this problem already, yesterday. I have read many posts on this issue. No real solution. What a shame on DJI. We paid hefty for the DJI reputation that you can fly out of the box. It was the case until recently. I followed the manual to calibrate. Don't give me BS that I didn't do it right. The way you are asking me is like,  take the drone all the way up to North Pole and do the DJI calibration dance there. The reasons you give me are like no metal objects, no phone, no concrete, no underground pipes, no belt buckle and no underwear.  We get that. But the real problem is your Hardware/Software.

We expect the product to work out of the box. Reasonable procedures like onetime calibration is acceptable. Doing IMU? Not reasonable. Taking it to North Pole because my filed here is not good due to electromagnetic and sun flares? Are you kidding me? If those are affecting your product out of the box then don't release the product to us. It's like asking the brand new BMW to take it to the proving grounds in another state to calibrate it for a smoother ride. Your excuses are really lame for a company like DJI. You WERE awesome. What happened now? If I am unhappy with my $1K drone, I can't imagine those who paid for Inspire etc for the same troubles. We love you DJI. Please don't make us hate you. Please acknowledge you made a faulty batch of Phantoms and you will take care of it professionally, by recalling them.  
2016-8-4
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

planetpapi-sp Posted at 2016-8-5 06:23
My brand new Phantom 3 Advanced, 2nd flight has this problem already, yesterday. I have read many po ...

So you have a problem .... but if you don't explain what the problem is you won't be able to get any help.
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules