HOME point got changed during flight
3636 25 2016-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cwong42
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3504731 ft
United States

Hi All, I am new in posting questions in this forum.

Like to check anyone experiencing HOME POINT got changed during flight? I did not realize my HOME POINT got changed and was performing RTH. As the aircraft descending per the RTH, I saw cars and in the middle of the highway. Luckily I cancelled the RTH and fly high up else not sure what disaster I will have created in the middle of highway. The aircraft landed due to low battery and away from the highway. Could I do something wrong during my flight and accidentally changed the HOME POINT? Any advise will be of great help.

2016-6-26
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, it has been reported before, see this thread. I'm not sure if it has been resolved yet.

Reset Home Point
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

richmars Posted at 2016-6-27 02:28
Yes, it has been reported before, see this thread. I'm not sure if it has been resolved yet.

Reset  ...

Thank you richmars for pointing me to the other reported thread. Seem like this problem is still around. Not sure I should send in my aircraft back to DJI for evaluation. I do not want to risk other people life's because of my drone flying hobby.
2016-6-26
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

richmars Posted at 2016-6-26 14:28

Reset  ...

Thanks for linking my thread!
2016-6-26
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-6-26 20:38
Thanks for linking my thread!

Any update from DJI?
2016-6-26
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

What phantom are you flying ?

Mine is the Standard.

I have taken off Max DISTANCE . - I still use Max Altitude.

I have been flying still and as long as I do not select "Set drone's current position as Home" - this is avoided.

My most recent flight, I have had, experieced some No signal at about 30 meters away - but I was only about 8 m off the ground- so that might be why I had no signal for a sort period of maybe 10 seconds.
I am now, flying, with GPS enabled on mobile device(phone) and always keep checking the map area, to make sure that the green home point has not moved.

I have tested Way points - at close distance, in case it acts up, then i can still chase after it.
and way points seems to be working fine.
I have tested also POI- and that works fine.

I have also tested manual RTH on the S1 switch and it does its job.

Only thing to keep away from is- "set drone's current position".

Also, the best solution up to now, is to send in to DJI for diagnosis. However, I decided , for now , not to send it in. I don't want to be without my drone for 3-4 weeks again.
And I have a wedding coming up that I will be recording, so I may choose to send it in for repair after the end of July- maybe.

I am on 1.6.80 Version.
but for phantom firmware, it displays N/A..

I have not updated because I am about to fly for a wedding. and also multiple users are reporting extra short range and no signal after the update. So, I am keeping my drone as it is for now.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me about my experience!

My advice so far, is to take off maximum distance - if you have it set. Keep your GPS on phone ON.  and keep an eye on the green home point as you fly to make sure it doesn't move at all.

Can you describe what happened in more detail? Wind speeds? Did you calibrate? Was your antenna proper?

for my case, I think I can say with 97% certainty that my Home point changing to some other place , is due to the product or APP error. and NOT user error. I have the whole flight recorded, and I did everything according to the manuals and instructions. But the drone flew away.
both times, i was thankful to God, that I was able to get my drone back and did not cause any accidents.
2016-6-26
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Hey,
so , the best solution they have given me , is to send in my phantom.

But, that is only for a diagnosis..
If they somehow find that it is NOT the drone's fault or issue, then I would have to pay for return shipping.

But this case , I am quite sure it is not user error.

I don't see why I have to pay return shipping for something that is not my error. So the possibility of having to pay for shipping , I would like to turn down. At least for now.
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-6-27 03:51
What phantom are you flying ?

Mine is the Standard.

Hi raylam115, I am flying the Phantom 3 Adavanced with RTH attitude at 50m. HOME POINT was set before take off and after flying at almost the 3 mins mark 362M away from original HOME POINT, the "NEW" HOME POINT self created which I did not even realized after I got home to analysis what's went wronged. The "NEW" HOME POINT is in the middle of the highway. I triggered the RTH and of course now my drone is going to fly to the "NEW" HOME POINT. I was looking into my screen and saw cars passing by (from the camera in video mode) and is descending to 4.5m, I quickly increase attitude back to 50m and try fly back to my original HOME POINT. Lost power with battery at 13% and auto landing kicked in. Trying to upload the flight records of the two HOME POINTS, options given only to share link...

Now I'm really "worry" getting my drone up in the air again....losing the bird is just my luck but cause injuries to other innocents are really not necessary.
2016-6-26
Use props
HotQuad
lvl.1

United States

cwong42@stu.jjc Posted at 2016-6-27 05:07
Hi raylam115, I am flying the Phantom 3 Adavanced with RTH attitude at 50m. HOME POINT was set bef ...

Scary, that was close!

Question out of curiosity; you triggered the RTH which caused the drone to start landing in the highway.  Did it have to fly to that point, or did it just start descending right where it was when you triggered RTH?  And was the point of the new Home something you had flown over during your flight, or somewhere totally out of your original path?

I can't really help, more just curious and like to see all the problems people have so I can watch out and avoid them whenever possible.  Post your logs and someone may be able to help, but I don't really know how myself.

I know with the Litchi app you can set a new Home Point with the custom keys, so that could accidentally be done during flight.  But if you're using the Go App, I don't think Home Point is an option for the C keys.
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

HotQuad Posted at 2016-6-27 05:39
Scary, that was close!

Question out of curiosity; you triggered the RTH which caused the drone to ...

I am using the DJI GO app and not 3rd parties. From my flight records the "NEW" HOME POINT is not part of my flight path until I trigger the RTH, the "NEW" HOME POINT is now in the middle of the highway. Still trying to post my flight records. Maybe from iPad is not possible and I will need boot up my laptop.
2016-6-26
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

cwong42@stu.jjc Posted at 2016-6-27 05:07
Hi raylam115, I am flying the Phantom 3 Adavanced with RTH attitude at 50m. HOME POINT was set bef ...

Hey Cwong

I also have a P3A and have been flying it steady for a year. The following is my experience:

I routinely reset my home point mid air (because my takeoff point cannot be my landing point). No problem there. DJI did move the reset home point button/icon to the Main controller settings page (visible only when the controller is connected to the aircraft.) I guess they were afraid we might engage it accidentally if it was on the main screen.

I had only one incident where the aircraft set down due to critical battery level. It was my fault for having that value set too high. I now keep my warning level at 30% and my critical level at 10% and I now always land it before even reaching the 30% level. I am taking no chances - especially with my battery now over a year old. Plus P3's are rather pricey to be taking chances with.

So far, in my experience, I have never seen the home point reset itself - and I have been through a lot of software updates and have pressed that RTH button many, many times.

If I were you, I would keep my eyes glued to that home point beacon on the map until I was sure nothing else was happening.

Good luck
2016-6-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The  mysterious changing home point thing is quite rare.
I have only seen a very small number of cases and none recently.
Rather than assuming that  is what happened , the best thing to do right away would be to look at your flight  record to confirm exactly what did happen.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone will be able to tell if your home point was changed and by how much.
2016-6-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

One thing that seems to be associated with this spontaneous resetting of home point, is having limits on your flying, such as maximum distances and heights. If you disable those limits, it does not seem to occur. Something worth trying.
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-27 06:04
The  mysterious changing home point thing is quite rare.
I have only seen a very small number of cas ...

Hi All, I managed to finally upload my flight records
fsPnvP

Thank you for all the helps
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-6-27 06:03
Hey Cwong

I also have a P3A and have been flying it steady for a year. The following is my experi ...

Hi Rnfaust, thank you for your kind advise. Now still in recovery mode, trying to find out whether i made any silly mistakes or/and really something wrong with my aircraft before i will fly again. I posted my flight records in another post and hoping some experts from the forum can help to solve the mysteries.

Thanks again :-)
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

Additional photos showing the initial HOME POINT and "NEW" HOME POINT (middle of highway)
?dl=0
?dl=0
2016-6-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

cwong42@stu.jjc Posted at 2016-6-27 09:47
Hi All, I managed to finally upload my flight records
fsPnvP

HealthyDrones only gives a basic summary with no actual  data but there is something there suggesting home was changed.
PhantomHelp shows full data
2016-6-26
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

cwong42@stu.jjc Posted at 2016-6-26 17:07

Did you have gps enabled on Your phone or tablet?
And did you set max distance?

It is strange that the home jump like that.

In my experience, 150m is already really far away, the drone is like a small dot by then.. but advanced is designed for lober distances..
Keep us updated!
2016-6-26
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

ryanlam115@gmai Posted at 2016-6-27 11:43
Did you have gps enabled on Your phone or tablet?
And did you set max distance?

No max distant set but attitude set at 120m max. Have been flying with iOS for past 50 flights or so but the last 10 flights with android. Not sure that's the main reason. Get the HOME POINT reset this way still not reasonable and dangerous.
2016-6-26
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I do not believe anyone ever found how this happened, hence no resolution from DJI... In general this does not make sense... would be nice if someone has figured out what happened, or at least could confirm it well with the log...  Very weird, and frankly, concerning....
2016-6-26
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

I suggest you upload your log to  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  so people could help
2016-6-27
Use props
ryanlam115
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

cwong42@stu.jjc Posted at 2016-6-27 00:06
No max distant set but attitude set at 120m max. Have been flying with iOS for past 50 flights or  ...

I agree it is very dangerous.

I would not think the difference of phones would alter the performance of the drone.
Hope you hear from DJI soon.

Keep us posted!
2016-6-27
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-27 19:01
I suggest you upload your log to  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  so people could help ...

Hi juntcool001, as suggested i have uploaded my flight records to phantomhelp
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/X95CU2DXSKZ1TRYOEHMG/

Hope this will help to solve the mysteries...
2016-6-27
Use props
cwong42
lvl.3
Malaysia

Hi All, just to keep you posted on the outcome after contacting DJI.
After almost 2 weeks of waiting, feedback is pilot fault setting battery critical level at 15% and due to no power aircraft landed by itself. NOTHING mention on the findings of change in RTH.
Seem like the flight data is not able to help the DJI engineers with their analysis OR they are not at all interest to solve the mysteries.
If the pilots from the forum can even point out the strange behavior after reading the my flight records and screen shots (showing the change of RTH point even before reaching the flight path point).....
Really disappointed with the feedback from DJI........

What should i do now....?
2016-7-14
Use props
Young Old Timer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1795 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah it happen to me i only had my p3 advanced for 4 day all flying ok then it flew away to a new home point 1.2 km away 30 seconds in to flight lnever find the bird Gutted DJI looking in to it and agreed i was not my fault so will see what  happens check out my post
2016-9-20
Use props
dcssteve
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12110 ft
United States

This has happened twice to me and I almost lost it the first time. Now I watch the home point very carefully and if it happens I use the option to reset the home point to the controller location in DJI Go 4.  The only issue is seeing the phone screen in daylight to do it. Worth practicing so you can save your Mavic. Serious issue - needs resolution by DJI.  Never happened with my P3 Pro ever.
2017-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules