Battery Warning when at 65% ?
1824 11 2015-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pdmclardy.email
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi ,

Has anyone had a battery warning when above 50% ? mine has went off a couple of times now , Lasts approximate 5 seconds then back to normal

It was around freezing when I took off so could it have been the temperature , I am a bit worried to fly to far in case it happens again ?

Its a Phantom 2 Vision Plus + V3
2015-1-23
Use props
shane382946.ema
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I would say it was down to the temperature. Make sure you store the battery's in a dry warm place. and have you fully discharged battery's and then charged since owning them ?
2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

lipos dont like it cold so cold batteries and cold operating temps will decrease flight time (sometimes dramatically).  keeping your extra batteries in your pocket (close to body warmth) instead of in your flight case and such can be a good tactic.
2015-1-23
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

I would say it was down to the temperature. Make sure you store the battery's in a dry warm place. and have you fully discharged battery's and then charged since owning them ?

EERRRR wrong sir, sorry.  But LiPo are to be stored in a COOL dry place.  I store mine in a LiPo fire case inside a dorm frig at 33-40 degrees.
You only want them to warm up if your going to use them immediately.  

For some light reading
http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf
2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

sorry gunny, i should have been clear, cool dry for STORAGE but not cold for USE.  they dont perform well if they are cold WHILE you are trying to use them.  sorry for the confusion.
2015-1-23
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

No worries gnixon, it was more for shane382946.  We're all here to help each other.

Your right about the cold weather reducing performance during flight. Ole Gunny also warms LiPo's before flight with a warmer bag. Nothing higher than 35C (95F)

Storage is a whole different animal.  LiPo's need that cold to live longer.
2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

so room temperature STORAGE will decrease lifespan then right?  mine are currently STORED at 70F and it sounds like id be better off in the <50F environment.  yes?
2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ok, i see the link now and read it.  thanks for sharing.  i think ill keep them in my cold room downstairs, it stays around 50F, i'd prefer not to use an actual fridge so that i dont have to worry about the whole 'warming them in the bag to avoid moisture condensation' aspect.  and technically , at 70F it only affects it 4% per year so ill basically mitigate almost all of the issue by just keeping around 50F.
2015-1-23
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-24 03:52
so room temperature STORAGE will decrease lifespan then right?  mine are currently STORED at 70F and ...

I store mine either on the kitchen work top  or in my phantom case I got for Christmas.  I know it's bad practice but I don't have the fire proof jacket and only charge on the work top.

I have ordered a new battery from first person view , so I will be a 2 battery bod soon.
2015-1-23
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

I had the audible low battery alarm when flying last week, came as a surprise as I was only 4 minutes or so into a flight.

I heard it about 4 or 5 minutes into a flight that started with a full battery, but was "busy" flying my Phantom leisurely in ATTI mode near a tree line at a few hundred feet out, and did not want to look down at my smartphone.  I got away from the trees and was starting a quick flight back to me, but it had already stopped the audible, and my battery level was 78% when I finally looked.  I flew it a bit more, with no troubles, and no errors when plugged into Assistant.

Puzzling.
2015-1-23
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I have been getting a battery error also. The same as the OP explained. I have 2 batteries, both from DJI. I dont know if it is allways the same battery or not. I marked the battery last time it happen but it has been raining so i have not out. It is about
55*f here.
2015-1-23
Use props
pdmclardy.email
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply's ,
As for fully discharging and recharging the answer is no ! I have just done the first part of the BNUC-S course and was told Categorically  " Do Not Fully Discharge the Batteries " ?
So I am not alone with the Battery warning ! This has happened a couple of times now when I was just messing around , but if memory serves me right it was when I was ascending and therefor requiring more power , could this be the cause when the batteries were cold ? I will pay attention as to what I was actually doing at the time of the warning , it just took me by surprise as I was not expecting it !

Thanks Gunny Huntarr,  I will store mine in a cooler place till I am ready to fly
2015-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules