DJI Phantom 4K...sunset in my small village in France!!
4847 64 2016-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Bravo!! great footage
2016-7-13
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379249 ft
France

sevadu Posted at 2016-7-13 15:38
Ah, I see. I bought a set of Taco-RC ND filters (ND4/8/16/32) not too long ago. Still experimentin ...

Thanks for the info...i may have to get a set just to see what kind of results I get.  
2016-7-13
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

windgate Posted at 2016-7-13 15:40
Nicely done!... great music to accompany the video and timed nicely

Thanks for the comment...glad you liked it!  
2016-7-13
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

toddlowder77@ic Posted at 2016-7-13 14:39
Great looking house...looks like you have a nice view of the valley below.  that church with the h ...

Have definitely been plotting to do an orbit of the church, Todd!  I can sit on a hill opposite - and fly over.  Must just read up how to do all that (orbit).  I am still struggling with my MP4 files - they won't play back.  So I downloaded VLC media player - and the video is very choppy on VLC.
2016-7-16
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

toddlowder77@ic Posted at 2016-7-13 14:39
Great looking house...looks like you have a nice view of the valley below.  that church with the h ...

Hi Todd, there is a really pretty village near here called Meaux la Montagne.  Small hill top village with a church in the middle.  I am keen to do some orbiting there, however I am finding it quite hard to operate the drone - and operate the gimble smoothly at the same time.  Do you do your orbiting manually - or do you set it up with one of the autonomous features?  Also, when you shoot one of your village videos do you set it up to fly with the way points first - so that you can then fly the course autonomously, and concentrate on the camera work.  Meaux la Montagne has a great little pub on the place - and the beer is cold!  Just the ticket for this weather!  Maybe we should meet up for some filming and a beer afterwards!
2016-7-20
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

My first attempt at POI!
2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Redro Posted at 2016-7-22 21:39
My first attempt at POI!
https://youtu.be/evPaEnAZJbo

Very smooth, thank you for sharing. Techno may not have been the most fitting for your subject though.
2016-7-22
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-23 08:39
Very smooth, thank you for sharing. Techno may not have been the most fitting for your subject tho ...

Yes, the dubstep choice was a bit random!
2016-7-23
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-7-22 15:39
My first attempt at POI!
https://youtu.be/evPaEnAZJbo

GREAT ORBIT!  Nicely done!  Looked very smooth...to answer you question about the camera work...i do use the autonomous orbit function built in the DJI app but i manually adjust the gimbal.  the key is to get as many complete orbits as you can and then choose the best one.  typically i will do 3 or 4 rotations at different camera angles and heights....the nice thing about the obit tool i the ap is that you can adjust the height as the drone is orbiting around the subject.  try that a few time and see what happens.  When i am shooting the video s of the village i don't use any waypoints...its all done manually.  more more more is my key...i try to do all of my camera moves as many times as i can until i get the shot i like the best....just fly fly fly!  my village is so small anyway i can fly the whole area from high enough in about 10 minutes...lol.  looks like you are off to a great start.  sorry it tool so long to respond.  been on vacation and going out of town again here in about a week...keep up the great work!
2016-7-25
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-7-21 09:39
Hi Todd, there is a really pretty village near here called Meaux la Montagne.  Small hill top vill ...

Sounds like a plan...im working in getting a scooter here soon so maybe we can meet up and do some flying....
2016-7-25
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Mariuss Posted at 2016-7-13 16:22
Bravo!! great footage

thanks....glad you liked it!
2016-7-26
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

Redro Posted at 2016-7-16 15:32
Have definitely been plotting to do an orbit of the church, Todd!  I can sit on a hill opposite -  ...

Is your video in 4K? I noticed on one PC of mine that the 4K video was extremely choppy. But on my wife's laptop that has a 4K screen and is new, it is perfect. Is it possible your PC is not up to the challenge of displaying 4K? Possible video card / processor issue?
2016-7-26
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-7-23 10:23
Yes, the dubstep choice was a bit random!

I have changed it to some more suitable music!
2016-7-27
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

toddlowder77@ic Posted at 2016-7-25 14:29
GREAT ORBIT!  Nicely done!  Looked very smooth...to answer you question about the camera work...i  ...

Thanks for all the info Todd.  Yes, this is certainly a case of practice, practice and more practice.  The orbit function is great - and I have been having a lot of fun playing with the way points.  Also, the Sports Mode - its a blast!  Don't want to overdo it though - I am sure it places a lot of stress on the motors and the airframe.
2016-7-27
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

Excellent! What a beautiful village...
2016-7-28
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

dbensonp Posted at 2016-7-28 13:52
Excellent! What a beautiful village...

Thanks for the comment!  Glad you liked it!
2016-7-28
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

Hi Todd, I must say the longer I have my P4 in France, the more I wonder where I will be able to fly it.  According to French regulations I can't fly over someone's property, not above public spaces in an urban area, not over peole, not above 150 m agl (fair enough) and not over roads.  So, basically we are restricted purely to the country - and will have to hope that a trigger happy huner won't take a pot shot at the drone!  Certainly, orbiting the local church is out of the question.  Recently, I was flying in a field near the village of Meaux la Montagne.  I was not flying over the village - but in the field, at the edge of the village.  The next thing a woman comes steaming up the road, and starts carrying on about me endangering the lives of her children (while smoking and blowing smoke in my face).  I was polite and duly apologised, and said I meant her children no harm.  The point was however, I was not over her house nor her property - and have not gone back there again.  So, these days I drive up to the top of a high mountain (with a beer) and get sun set shots, such as the attached (about as far as you can get from our village as you possibly can - thats our village, Grandris, in the distance).  Hopefully the cows will not complain that I invaded their privacy!
DJI_0290.JPG
2016-8-16
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-8-16 18:10
Hi Todd, I must say the longer I have my P4 in France, the more I wonder where I will be able to fly ...

I understand where you are coming from, everyone hears the word "Drone" and they get all worked up thinking that we are peeping into their windows or are going to hurt them in some way or another.  The reality is that you just have to get a bit proactive if you really want to fly anywhere other than out in the country....(beautiful shot by the way!).  I have found that if i see some structure or building or even if i am getting to close to the village itself, that if i just were to approach the person or really anyone associated with the structure, and explain what you are doing, more often than not they will be intrigued and let you show them how your drone works.  I have shot near, well right next to the church in our village multiple times, most of the time the preacher there will see me and will come out and talk with me while i am flying.  I have also met the Mayor in my village and have spoken to at least someone in the mayors office if i am in a neighboring village just to let them know that i am around.  I have only really had one bad encounter, i was filming the sunset around the local cemetery and a woman thought i was filming her house, i told her that i was aiming the drone in the opposite direction, even showed her the footage and all was well.   Don't get discouraged, i have found that people just fear what they don't understand, if we educate them about these things, they will let their natural curiosity take over and usually be ok.  Just fly smart and keep up the great work you're doing.   I'm getting my scooter the first week of September....maybe we can work out a time to meet up.  Sorry for the long rant...lol.  Be Safe up there!
By the way here is a short family shot i did this weekend...

2016-8-16
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

Thanks for all the useful advice, Todd.  I must say I am having a lot of fun just playing with the light at different times of the day - especially when there is some low cloud or mist to add some drama.  Also, getting out into the hills and making the most of the unique perspectives that altitude gives you of the countryside.  Love that family video of yours!  Looking forward to catching up next month, when you get your Vespa!
2016-8-21
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-8-21 20:42
Thanks for all the useful advice, Todd.  I must say I am having a lot of fun just playing with the l ...

Just checking in...how is the flying going?  im uploading a new video that is will post here soon...getting my scooter this weekend, we should plan on meeting up one day soon.  Cheers!
2016-9-8
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-8-21 20:42
Thanks for all the useful advice, Todd.  I must say I am having a lot of fun just playing with the l ...

Just checking in...how is the flying going?  im uploading a new video that is will post here soon...getting my scooter this weekend, we should plan on meeting up one day soon.  Cheers!
2016-9-8
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Very nice. Wait....I don't see a Walmart or McDonalds. You sure you want to live there? LOL. Actually that is perfect. Living in a small town like that.
2016-9-8
Use props
toddlowder77
lvl.2
France

Blackbeagle Posted at 2016-9-8 23:35
Very nice. Wait....I don't see a Walmart or McDonalds. You sure you want to live there? LOL. Actuall ...

Funny, i was just back in the states back in February and was actually culture shocked being back there after living here for the last year or more...never thought i would not miss  Walmart...funny!
2016-9-9
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

toddlowder77@ic Posted at 2016-9-8 17:38
Just checking in...how is the flying going?  im uploading a new video that is will post here soon. ...

Yikes, just logged in for the first time in ages Todd!  Flying a couple of times a week, I guess.  Would be great to get together some time soon - weather permitting.  This weekend we are off to Rome for the weekend, but lets make a plan.  I am really keen to stand the confluence in Lyon at sunrise and take some pics.  If I only fly over the water, do you think that would be legal?  Could get some really nice shots.
2016-10-24
Use props
fansf375dac2
lvl.2
France

Redro Posted at 2016-10-24 20:28
Yikes, just logged in for the first time in ages Todd!  Flying a couple of times a week, I guess.  ...

I think as long as you are over the water that should be ok...the worst that could happen is someone tells you to land the drone, better to ask for forgiveness, than permission i always say.  I have found that most people get curious and will approach you and talk to you about it.  Rarely will you get a complaint.  i was recently at Chimineaux, I think that is how you spell it, the village in the valley below Mont Blanc, and flew for about 20 minutes with no issues, one of the police who spoke english came up to me while i was flying and thought it was pretty neat.  
2016-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules