Tilt Axis Power Issue (video attached)
3668 10 2016-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info
lvl.2

United States

My Ronin completely crapped out of my during a shoot last week (sad face).  After some troubleshooting it appears the Tilt Axis is using way too much power when in any type of angle.  In the attached video you will see that if the Tilt Axis angle gets too high then the power spikes to 99.  The Ronin then shuts off to save itself.  It then retries only to crap out again.
https://vimeo.com/sidestreetprod/review/172518466/7281add184

The camera is completely balanced and I have fine tuned and tightned and done this test over and over.  I get POWER on all axis to be at or around ZERO in the normal non-angled position and it's fully balanced and working well.  Then I adjust the angles with the remote... Roll and Pan axis are fine... Tilt axis power usage goes way up when trying to maintain any type of tilt axis and it shuts off.

I have adjusted stiffness as well to various different numbers from 15-60 and the results are the same.  I'm on the latest firmware and have reinstalled the firmware just in case with no change.

Around the same time of this issue we noticed that our p-tap power ports have lost all power.  There are no volts coming out of either port below the camera.  Perhaps when one crapped out the other did as well, or it may be coincidental.  

Ronin has worked well until this point and it has obviously become a nightmare that sadly brought an entire production to a halt and the schedule was pushed.  (2nd sad face).  And when filling out my service request I noticed that there is a 1-year limited warranty and I've had it 16 month (3rd sad face).  Though hopefully these issues can be resolved because it's sad to see all this crapping out with the very minimal usage I have put it through since I purchased it.  Plus we still need to go shoot the rest of the shots!

Anyone have any similar experience or help to offer?  Thanks!
Brian

2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Sorry for any trouble.
After watch the provided video, our engineers' initial judgement is that the issue may be still in the Camera Balance. Could you please check the Balance by following the instruction of P15-P16 in the User Manual (https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _v2.0_en_160229.pdf) step by step? Especially, please take care of "Step 3: Balancing the Vertical Tilt"

Please keep me informed if there's any update.
Thanks for your cooperation.
2016-6-28
Use props
info
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-28 16:56
Hello.
Sorry for any trouble.
After watch the provided video, our engineers' initial judgement is t ...

This was one of 20 tests that I did while fine fine tuning the balance with constantly the same restult.  The same thing occurrs with no camera on the ronin with no weight, yet the tilt motor still goes to 99 for any tilt.  

I've used the Ronin for over a year without issue, I understand how to balance it, and it is not the balance.

My service ticket has asked me to send it in for service which is what I am doing now.
2016-6-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-6-28 23:00
This was one of 20 tests that I did while fine fine tuning the balance with constantly the same re ...

Sending it in for a RMA would be the best course of action. Since the unit is outside of the warranty, an invoice would be expected. They would provide an invoice prior to repairing the unit, so you have the choice to pay or choose to have the unit sent back. You won't be forced to pay the invoice.
2016-6-28
Use props
info
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-29 02:16
Sending it in for a RMA would be the best course of action. Since the unit is outside of the warra ...

That's what I'm doing now.  Though according to what I read on the site I would be charge for diagnostics and return delivery.  I've pretty much done the diagnostics myself and know what I need.

And as far as delivery... it would have been great if they got back to me on my question of if I could drop it at their repair facility.  They never got back to me and the paperwork didn't say no drop offs, and the phone number had a 30 person queue that was not moving at all... and the chat option said they couldn't help me and sent me to a different chat that never loaded... so I drove down to Carson to drop it off only to be turned away by security at the building had just drove back up to Los Angeles.

I sure hope this ends well, because I'm starting to understand the horror stories of DJI customer service.

Anyone have any idea on cost of repairs to a gimbal motor?  or power plate?  I'm fairly certain the tilt motor is bad and the power plate is as well.  With all the headaches I'm wondering if it's simply time to give up on the Ronin.  Sad day.

I see that gimbal motors have a 6 month warranty.  6 months?  Wow. That's standing being your product.
2016-6-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-6-29 04:07
That's what I'm doing now.  Though according to what I read on the site I would be charge for diag ...

Regarding delivery, you may qualify for a shipping label in order to send the Ronin in. If you have not done so already, it would be best to reply to the RMA email you received in order to further inquire about the shipping label. Even though it does not say "no drop offs", the RMA email is explicit on shipping requirements. Warranty periods are common amongst multiple manufacturers, and DJI will continue to stand by the product by providing a repair service even after the warranty has expired.
2016-6-28
Use props
darrin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft

I'm having a similar issue and my unit is just back from RMA..(ronin) I didn't have this issue before last update. I still have more testing to try and lock down issue..but this very well could be a firmware issue motor 'cut off' sensitivity has been reduced in last update. Most issues have been firmware related. I noticed your vertical adjustment was maxed to top..and when you tilt up the weight might be shifting thus maxing the servo..I use a counter weight and only had this issue while driving..when on a table the Ronin sat fine for an hour...I have yet to retest after a new balancing session.  I had zero's on all axis.
Please check your vertical balance and get back to us!! cheers Darrin
2016-7-5
Use props
info
lvl.2

United States

darrin@proimage Posted at 2016-7-6 09:03
I'm having a similar issue and my unit is just back from RMA..(ronin) I didn't have this issue befor ...

I got it back from service and all is good.  Although I'm pretty sure they just changed out my power ports which had died and didn't do anything on the motors.

You are correct Darrin that the vertical adjustment was way off which threw the balance when tilting.  I'm pretty sure that was a my problem.  Normally I set that once and I'm good whenever I put the same camera package on and just have to adjust my slider plate, but someone adjusted the vertical adjustment and I didn't readjust it on these tests like a dummy.  I feel sheepish even.  

Now all is good and no matter the tilt angle the motor stays close to zero.  Back to being a happy man.
2016-7-12
Use props
info
lvl.2

United States

info@ssp.la Posted at 2016-7-13 10:03
I got it back from service and all is good.  Although I'm pretty sure they just changed out my pow ...

you know when they say "It's not balanced right" and you get upset because you know you know how to balance and it's not that... and then later you realize it wasn't balanced right... yeah... I hate that.  ;)
2016-7-12
Use props
kriegs
lvl.1

United States

I am having the exact same problem. Do I need to send in do you think?
2017-3-15
Use props
kriegs
lvl.1

United States

Are you saying you can fix with a vertical adjustment?
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules