Use Lightbridge 2 Without Gimbal
8976 17 2016-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
camilo.idarraga
lvl.1

Colombia

I have a DJI S1000+ with an A2 Flight Controller and a OSD Mark, the aircraft doesn't have a Gimbal because I made it's own structure to place a multispectral camera and a Canon
S100. I'm using a Futaba T14SG transmitter to control the aircraft but I just want to get rid of that. I'm interested in the DJI Lightbridge 2 but I'm afraid to purchase it because I don't have a Gimbal. My main question is the following, is it possible for me to connect the Lightbridge 2 to the Canon S100 HDMI or AV video output and receive the live video feed on the DJI GO App when connected the DJI ground system? If not... Could he use the Lightbridge 2 even if he doesn't have a camera plugged to it? Because
the main goal here is to get rid of the Futaba transmitter and start using the DJI remote with the DJI Go App with the Waypoints option.

Please tell me the best options. Thanks

2016-6-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You would be able to use Lightbridge 2 without a Z15 gimbal. What you're attempting to do would be feasible.
2016-6-28
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-28 13:49
You would be able to use Lightbridge 2 without a Z15 gimbal. What you're attempting to do would be feasible.

If you please DJI-Jamie can you elaborate on how it is possible. I've found several forum threads saying it is possible to use the Lightbridge 2 without a gimbal but very little information about how to do it.
I read in one thread about using a DIY cable that supposedly comes with the system but I received no such cable.
I know what I'm trying to do is a non-standard way of using the lightbridge unit, and that normally it will have a gimbal. We are filming 360 degree video with a goPro rig and are just using the LB2 for telemetry from a static camera.

I understand theoretically how it should work. I need to make my own Y type cable with the can bus cable and a power cable that goes through some sort of power converter to get my 6S voltage down to 12v for the unit. I'm just looking for someone to help walk me through this so I don't fry my lightbridge unit that I just spent over 900 bucks on.

Is there some support channel other than the forums where I can get help with this? My posts rarely receive answers.

2017-2-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

quality Posted at 2017-2-21 13:27
If you please DJI-Jamie can you elaborate on how it is possible. I've found several forum threads saying it is possible to use the Lightbridge 2 without a gimbal but very little information about how to do it.
I read in one thread about using a DIY cable that supposedly comes with the system but I received no such cable.
I know what I'm trying to do is a non-standard way of using the lightbridge unit, and that normally it will have a gimbal. We are filming 360 degree video with a goPro rig and are just using the LB2 for telemetry from a static camera.

You would just use the DBus II cable that comes with the Lightbridge 2 itself:
Dbus II cable.JPG

If you use the standard DBus cable, then it will not supply power. After that, you would disable the EXT port via the Go app.
2017-2-21
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-21 14:07
You would just use the DBus II cable that comes with the Lightbridge 2 itself:
[view_image]

This is DBUS cable is for the A3 DJI-Jamie. I have the A2 unit
2017-2-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

quality Posted at 2017-2-21 14:12
This is DBUS cable is for the A3 DJI-Jamie. I have the A2 unit

Some customers have used that DBus II cable with the A2 in order to get the power needed.
2017-2-21
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-21 14:24
Some customers have used that DBus II cable with the A2 in order to get the power needed.

Do you have any idea how they go about doing that DJI-Jamie? The cable doesn't plug into the A2 anywhere as its connector is too big. I'm not against a DIY way of getting this to work, but don't want to go cutting cables unless I know it will work. Thanks for your help and attention.
2017-2-21
Use props
WiSi-Testpilot
lvl.3

Germany

http://www.globe-flight.de/DJI-Lightbridge-Kabel-Zubehoer-Set-PART9

You need the cable with the XT60 connector.
Be careful, the LB2 accepts only 9 to 12.0 V. Otherwise you will destroy the air module.

I have flown the LB2 with A2 and have used a step down regulator. Now I am using the A3 and N3. Via Go-app you can change many settings of the FC. The LB2 gets the power through the D-Bus cable.
2017-2-21
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

Thank you WiSi-Testpilot!

I contacted DJI support yesterday and they just sent me an email saying "you have to modify the cable", which was not helpful at all.

It looks like that cable in the middle is the one I need to buy or make. I don't know if I can wait for it to come from Germany so I think I'll try and do this myself. The website also says its currently unavailable.

What is a step down regulator? I'm assuming that is the part that gets the voltage down to 12V correct? I just want to make sure that I do this right the first time! Do you have any other links to information on how to make this cable?
Capture.JPG

You are the first person to actually give me some useful information! THANK YOU!
2017-2-22
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

quality Posted at 2017-2-22 11:53
Thank you WiSi-Testpilot!

I contacted DJI support yesterday and they just sent me an email saying "you have to modify the cable", which was not helpful at all.

So now that I know what this cable looks like, I'm finding it several places online, but it doesn't come with a step down regulator in the cable. I talked with a couple tech support people selling this cable and they don't have any information about how to connect it with higher voltage via the regulator.

What Voltage were you flying with WiSi-Testpilot? I'd love to just use my onboard 6s battery and supply the 12v via the regulator, but have no idea how to get that working.
2017-2-22
Use props
WiSi-Testpilot
lvl.3

Germany

That cable is correct for power and CAN bus.
I have used this step down regulator and had it adjusted to 10 V.
See also my image.

http://www.fpv1.de/dc-dc-step-down-spannungswandler-mit-filter-4-35v.html

Furthermore you need a CAN bus connection for the telemetry data using a CAN hub,
see #743
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2499388-DJI-Lightbridge-2-%2A%2A%2AOwners-Thread%2A%2A%2A/page50#post33354548

I have eliminated the CAN hub with a DIY cable using a NAZA LED, but that is not so simple.

Using the A3 or N3 you only need the D-Bus cable within the A3/N3 box. It delivers D-Bus, power and telemetry.

Best regards,
Wilhelm
Power&CAN_LB2.jpg
2017-2-22
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

WiSi-Testpilot Posted at 2017-2-22 12:58
That cable is correct for power and CAN bus.
I have used this step down regulator and had it adjusted to 10 V.
See also my image.

A million times thank you Wilhelm!!!  A picture is worth a thousand words.

I actually have a CAN hub already...so it looks like I just need to get that cord and the step down regulator.

Were you ever worried that if the regulator died it would kill your lightbridge unit? Is there any fail safe in the regulator to prevent a sudden voltage spike in the case of failure? If not would it be feasible to add a fuse after the regulator as a fail safe?

I'm just weighing the option of creating the cord with the regulator, or just adding an additional 3S lipo to supply the necessary voltage.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

- Jon
2017-2-22
Use props
WiSi-Testpilot
lvl.3

Germany

Thank you Jon.
I was not worried that the regulator died. Everything may die and your copter falls out of the air. One has to work very carefully and triple check everything.

You should not use a 3S lipo (at least not a fully charged). According to RCG the upper limit is 12.0 V and not 12.6 V!!

Best regards,
Wilhelm
2017-2-22
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

WiSi-Testpilot Posted at 2017-2-22 16:03
Thank you Jon.
I was not worried that the regulator died. Everything may die and your copter falls out of the air. One has to work very carefully and triple check everything.

Point taken...well I've ordered the voltage regulator. I'll get to putting this together hopefully this weekend. Many thanks again Wilhelm. I'll look at posting a video tutorial for anyone that may run across this in the future...although most people are probably flying with the A3 by now anyway.
2017-2-22
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

So I made a video if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future and needs to know how to modify the LB2 gimbal cable for use with the A2. I got my setup all working and had my first big flight today...now just need to figure out why the go home button isn't working
2017-3-3
Use props
PhotosofAfrica
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2400568 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Here is my setup but still, have few errors ..green light keeps flashing from the LED Module , any ideas ?

2020-4-11
Use props
nguyenvandat
New

Japan

ai đó có thể  giúp tôi vị trí của từng dây cáp DBUS của LB2 vào vị trí nào trên dji N3 tôi đang bế tắc mong nhận được sự giúp đỡ
2022-6-29
Use props
SoarinDroneServ
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone know where I can get the DBUS Cable 1 that goes between the AS Flight Controller to the Lightbirdge 2?
1-15 06:49
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules