2590 18 2016-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I did a new tutorial with better explanation, check it here : http://unlimitedrone.com/2016/11 ... ary-for-your-drone/

A short review about ND Filter I use them for all my videos and wouldnt film without them anymore

2016-6-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

very nice, thanks for posting.
2016-6-29
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Thanks for this! I was looking for this type comparison.
2016-6-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Thanks for your sharing!
2016-6-29
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Good intentions, but ... I'm sorry to say, aside PL filters the purpose of ND (Neutral Density) filters is to manipulate shutter speed for video, not to control brightness. Proper exposure is achieved with:
a. ISO choice.
b. aperture size.
c. ND filter of adequate density
to maintain shutter speed roughly twice the frame rate.
As the name implies, Neutral Density filters has no effect whatsoever on colors, saturation or other details of good image ...
2016-6-30
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

dobmatt Posted at 2016-6-30 23:17
Good intentions, but ... I'm sorry to say, aside PL filters the purpose of ND (Neutral Density) filt ...

Yes you are right dobmatt , i always choose Iso as low as possible and Shutter double the frame rate.
My explanation in this video was not complete but it will be followed by a video at the weekend to give all information for the proper exposure
2016-6-30
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2016-6-30 17:34
Yes you are right dobmatt , i always choose Iso as low as possible and Shutter double the frame ra ...

2 very good posts. Back to film school.
2016-6-30
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2016-7-1 05:34
Yes you are right dobmatt , i always choose Iso as low as possible and Shutter double the frame ra ...

That's not the point, my friend. Once again: intentions were good, but not good enough ... The comparison shouldn't reveal any difference in exposure, only the difference in video (motion) quality. That's what ND filters are for, and only. Better color, contrast and saturation are a natural consequence of proper exposure, but ND filter has nothing to do with it. All they do is limiting the AMOUNT of light projected on the sensor behind lens, without any modification to RGB content of the light. Unfortunately, as for now your instructional video is confusing and misleading, I must say. Forgive me if I've ruined your weekend ...
2016-6-30
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft

So you're saying nd filters have no role in still shots?  If their only purpose is to manipulate shutter speed for video?  I'm a 99% photography newbie (used cell phone to take pictures a few times).  I thus far have just loved flying these things/fpv, but this picture thing is growing on me....another learning curve!
2016-6-30
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>

kdcox Posted at 2016-7-1 08:51
So you're saying nd filters have no role in still shots?  If their only purpose is to manipulate shu ...

Correct. Still shots are controlled by several factors, ISO being the most critical. By the rule of thumb, the lowest ISO setting, the better (less noisy) picture, better color articulation. For given ISO and available light you can pick appropriate shutter speed to avoid unwanted blur. That will render specific aperture opening to achieve proper exposure. The same is true when setting aperture first (called Aperture Priority), which will render specific shutter speed for given ISO and lighting conditions. With video, when there's a plenty of light, automatic exposure parameters may force very high shutter speed, which will result with unpleasant artifacts in recorded footage. That's why we need to tame the light with ND filters ...
2016-6-30
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

kdcox Posted at 2016-6-30 17:51
So you're saying nd filters have no role in still shots?  If their only purpose is to manipulate shu ...

ND filters will reduce the shutter speed of your images as well, you can use ND filters on the P4 the same way as traditional photography. When I try to create a sense of movement in my images i.e. waterfalls, waves, etc I use an ND to lower the shutter. I think a majority of people use ND's for video.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jeff
2016-7-1
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Had it already written once and I had no reason since then to change my opinion. The Polar Pro Filters are a no go for me because of the yellow bias they produce.
2016-7-1
Use props
guns&cameras
lvl.2

United States

ND filters are help control the limitations of the equipment to bring back in the usable "area" when situations are too far out of reach. If you use a polarizing filter, this does cut haze and glare especially if shooting water/sky. I use these on my DSLR's..
RB
2016-7-1
Use props
alfredosuna
lvl.3
Mexico

Also, remember that all phantom cameras are aperture fixed, so you cannot control your aperture setting, ND FILTERS are good choice when you dont want to change your shutter speed and you ISO its at minimum and still you have an overexposure image.
2016-7-2
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

alfredosuna Posted at 2016-7-2 23:33
Also, remember that all phantom cameras are aperture fixed, so you cannot control your aperture sett ...

That is not true as well. Focus is set on infinity instead, but you can control aperture and ISO ...
2016-7-7
Use props
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

Wrong, they are all fixed aperture.
2016-7-7
Use props
alfredosuna
lvl.3
Mexico

dobmatt Posted at 2016-7-8 05:16
That is not true as well. Focus is set on infinity instead, but you can control aperture and ISO . ...

Sorry to disagreed dobmatt, but phantom 3 and 4 are F2.8 fixed aperture, even the X3 camera from the inspire 1 is f2.8 fixed aperture, you only can control ISO and shutter speed.
2016-7-7
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>

alfredosuna Posted at 2016-7-8 05:42
Sorry to disagreed dobmatt, but phantom 3 and 4 are F2.8 fixed aperture, even the X3 camera from t ...

Oops... Apparently I'm getting old ...
2016-7-7
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I did a new tutorial with better explanation, check it here : http://unlimitedrone.com/2016/11 ... ary-for-your-drone/
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules