Wifi on or off?
1657 13 2016-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bpsphotog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28543 ft
United States

Hey all!  Just took the plunge into a P3 Pro, upgraded from a GoPro version of the P2.  Haven't had the chance to fly yet, have a question in the meantime.  It's a sacred rule to have all wifi turned off with any GoPro rigs (the Zenmuse gimbal being what I used with my P2), so what about the P3 pro?  I'm not concerned about the app features such as live streaming or maps, but is wifi needed for lightbridge?  Do I or should I turn wifi on or off?  If I want to use my cell for a hotspot, will that be alright?  I'm not one of those pilots who open the box with a partial battery and fly and wonder why my bird is in a lake.  I'm a very concious pilot who wants to get these minor details figured out before I fly my investment.  Thanks!

Ben
2016-6-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wifi is not needed but won't make any difference
2016-6-29
Use props
bpsphotog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28543 ft
United States

Awesome thanks!
2016-6-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The p3 uses Lightbridge and is fine to leave your WiFi on.
If you are experiencing any lag or video issue then turning it off may help a tiny bit because of processing power and not signal interference.
I have always left my WiFi on, but if I ever did have a video issue then I would close all background running items including WiFi.
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If we are being truthful and painfully honest. It might be smarter to suggest that you fly only  in Airplane mode, to stop the intrusive app components...
There are about 15 nosy websites that connect through the Go app. Using airplane mode defeats that. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72867 ft
United States

What controls the mini map while flying?  GPS, Wifi, lightbridge?  I noticed the other day that my map was just blank but did show the bird's flight bath and everything.  What is need to show map details like streets, satellite view etc?
2016-6-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-7-1 02:09
What controls the mini map while flying?  GPS, Wifi, lightbridge?  I noticed the other day that my m ...

Expand the map view, top right icon in the map and choose Satellite. If you want the streets too then choose Hybrid.
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Under General Settings, You may also need to turn on Cache Map in the Background, of your flight area map, from within a wifi hotspot, before going to the flight area.
When you are connected to the web, and have your RC, drone and app running.
Go to map view and scroll it around, to the flight area you want to visit. Expand the map, make it larger, now move it around so the whole area is visible on the screen.
When you arive at the area to fly, the cached map "should" be there.

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I always fly in Airplane mode with no background apps running.  2 reasons.  First,  to avoid background stuff stealing processor power and second to prolong battery life on the device.  And as the Old Duck,  ( Formerly known as the Geriatric Mickey Mouse ) ,  AKA RedHotPoker says,  to keep things from intruding.
2016-6-30
Use props
lheft
lvl.4
United States

I thought that is how the drone connects with the tablet or phone for video through WiFi or cell?
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

@Kneepuck, Ahoyee matey. Yeah, the ol' mouse is dead, long live the quacker, Mcduck... Hahaha

Yes, pilot only in Airplane mode. It will protect your privacy, and your sanity... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

lheft Posted at 2016-6-30 14:31
I thought that is how the drone connects with the tablet or phone for video through WiFi or cell?

@DJI have their own proprietary system, known as Lightbridge.

RedHotPoker
2016-6-30
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

+1 on airplane mode on the tablet/device!

My older Samsung Tab4 has just enough power to run the DJI Go app nicely. Turn on Wi-fi and it's just a wee bit too much for the little CPU and the video glitches.
2016-6-30
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

lheft Posted at 2016-6-30 16:31

On the standard that would be true, but the OP has a P3P.
2016-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules