Australia

I'm hoping that my iPad Pro 1 will allow me to use DJI 4 app
2017-6-15
Use props
Timbodaug 3
New
Flight distance : 21654 ft
United States

I have the P4 with a wifi only. And it works fine but I run it up in the house to capture the maps. When Im out I use hot spot on my cell to link my ipad long enoigh to download the map for my area.
2017-6-16
Use props
fans1bb1d9dc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10 ft
United Kingdom

As the phantom has it's one wy fy you do not need the phones cel

2017-12-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-7-2 11:14
iPad Pro 9/7 no cellular just use hotspot from iPhone 6. Everything works fine.

Same here, have used the hotspot with both Andriod S5 & IPhone 6, no problems
2017-12-17
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

fans1bb1d9dc Posted at 2017-12-17 13:32
As the phantom has it's one wy fy you do not need the phones cel

Just to download maps for the area you are in, I use an iPad Pro WiFi only and I don’t really worry about the maps.
2017-12-17
Use props
eyentheskye
lvl.1

just so im clear, b/c i lose signal all the time b/c i fly far away, so i rely on Return to Home a lot. Will RTH work with iPad with no cell svc and no connection to the internet?
2018-7-14
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

eyentheskye Posted at 2018-7-14 12:56
just so im clear, b/c i lose signal all the time b/c i fly far away, so i rely on Return to Home a lot. Will RTH work with iPad with no cell svc and no connection to the internet?

It will, because the home point is set on take off, the position is set by the GPS/GLONASS in the aircraft. The home-point is stored in the aircraft, should it lose control signal for more than three seconds then it will automatically return to that stored home point. No wifi nor cell connection is needed when flying remotely. The only caveat would be to ensure you are logged into DJI account in DJI Go 4 before you leave home. If you do not log off or perform any changes to firmware or DJI Go 4 then you will never need to log in again.
2018-7-14
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft

Ok... It's time for Odan to ask one of his dumb questions.,
I understand that my iPad air 2 has no cell.  I also have the DJI app on my phone.  small iPhone.
So I hear you all talk about using phone as hot spot for wifi.
So heres my question......what is the procedure for getting the iPad non cell to communicate with iPhone.????
do you simply need it to be with you.  or do you get map on cell and then s sync your  flight records or what.
I've never tried this but it sounds cool.
will someone help an old man ???
Thanks in advance.....Dann-oh...Aka....Odan…….DBA......Cpt Longline
2018-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Odan Posted at 2018-7-15 05:45
Ok... It's time for Odan to ask one of his dumb questions.,
I understand that my iPad air 2 has no cell.  I also have the DJI app on my phone.  small iPhone.
So I hear you all talk about using phone as hot spot for wifi.

The cell connection could be handy for downloading maps etc, and on Apple devices the cell chip contains the GPS circuitry.

So you need to make your phone available as a wifi hotspot, this is done by going into 'Settings' on your phone, about fifth on the list in settings  (iOS 11.4.1) you'll see 'Personal Hotspot'.

Tap on that, set the hotspot password (to use on ipad when connecting to hotspot wifi), and enable hotspot slider. And that's it.

Then open iPad settings, sellect 'Hotspot' (or whatever it calls itself), enter the password you created on phone. Once connected theres nothing to change in any of the App's, the iPad just sees it as a wifi connection.
2018-7-15
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

Wow.....I was hopping that someone would dumber then me would start a thread an this topic.    I guess there's no one to fit that title .  
I'll treasure this reply as the most important I've ever had.

Now my world is nearly perfect.

I'm not aware of too many things...….

I know what I know,   If you know what I mean
2018-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hahaha, sounds like someone should RTFM?!?! Hahaha

I just love saying RTFM. ;-)

Peruse it anyway, it’s good for you...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-15
Use props
Larry L.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9954 ft
United States

bigal Posted at 2017-3-20 23:22
Hi Commodom checked my version is DJI GO 4v4.0.2(172-gp Tablet)  running on Samsung Tab 4  Check for update tells me  latest version is 4.0.3
updated to v4.0.5 (213-gp tablet ) now got the option many thanks, just need to figure out what to do with it ..

How is that working for you? Which Phantom are you flying?ot any lag? I would prefer to use an Android tab but the Tab 4 is not listed and the Tab 2 I have would not work at all and the Tab A I tried has so much lag I am taking it back. I need to get something that will actually work w/o lag and am fearing going over to the Apple side
2018-7-15
Use props
Larry L.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9954 ft
United States

bigal Posted at 2017-3-20 23:22
Hi Commodom checked my version is DJI GO 4v4.0.2(172-gp Tablet)  running on Samsung Tab 4  Check for update tells me  latest version is 4.0.3
updated to v4.0.5 (213-gp tablet ) now got the option many thanks, just need to figure out what to do with it ..

How is that working for you? Which Phantom are you flying?ot any lag? I would prefer to use an Android tab but the Tab 4 is not listed and the Tab 2 I have would not work at all and the Tab A I tried has so much lag I am taking it back. I need to get something that will actually work w/o lag and am fearing going over to the Apple side
2018-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Larry L. Posted at 2018-7-15 18:30

You are replying to a forum member who hasn’t visited the forum since last November. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-7-15
Use props
Odan
lvl.4

Anyhow.....Me,  I fly a standard P-4.    But I have never needed a hotspot.   I didn't take my  drone to Russia with me so I have been away.
I thought that as long as people were talking about it.....I'd ask.
Since I would prob just use the maps I don't think lag would be an issue.
It's too easy to get any map at home while I'm near modem.
I'll have to see if it works with any other flight modes that I might need But I think the follow me would
be the most important one most people would want to have....(can't say )

wthas  
2018-7-16
Use props
Kestrel Aerial Video
lvl.1

United States

All the points made a great. But, how do any of you fly without a data plan? Am I the only one required to log into my DJI account before I'm allowed to use the app? Or am I just missing how to get around that problem?
2018-8-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kestrel Aerial Video Posted at 2018-8-2 23:03
All the points made a great. But, how do any of you fly without a data plan? Am I the only one required to log into my DJI account before I'm allowed to use the app? Or am I just missing how to get around that problem?

Just close the app but don't log out of your DJI account.
2018-8-2
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Kestrel Aerial Video Posted at 2018-8-2 23:03
All the points made a great. But, how do any of you fly without a data plan? Am I the only one required to log into my DJI account before I'm allowed to use the app? Or am I just missing how to get around that problem?

The aircraft only needs to see DJI Go 4 App' that 'has' been logged into your account at home. After that you can close down DJI Go 4 and then use it anywhere without wifi or cell access. If you chose to intentionally 'log out' of DJI Go 4 App' or the App' gets an upgrade then you will need to log in again before you can fly.
2018-8-3
Use props
djiuser_RNAx4gg21eJs
lvl.1
United States

Mallettron Posted at 2016-7-1 05:11
More importantly having a cellular ipad willl allow you to view maps in an area you didnt view and cache while in a wifi area
I use a mini 2 cellular on my P4, but I also have a mini 4wifi as a backup and general viewer
Just wish I could airdrop from the mini 2 to the mini 4 as a display for spectators

And if they finally ship it... which takes forever and then it cost a piece of gold.
2020-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules