RTH again
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cloudycante
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

So, I was out the other day and after 150mt RTH kicked in and the drone come back. Twice.
Both time I let it do the whole process, and only help with the landing.
Both time the DJI Go App was telling me to "click here to cancel RTH", but then a question popped in my mind.

What happens if I cancel RTH and the drone still can't reconnect to the RC? Will it float out there until there's no juice left in the battery and then land by itself? Or will it start the RTH procedure again after a while?
2016-7-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

More than likely the 'cancel RTH' command will not get through if there is no connection, so it is moot. But if it did, it would simply perform the same RTH procedure once the battery got critically low.
2016-7-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It depends on the reason as to why it is returning to home. Is this due to low battery or no signal?
2016-7-2
Use props
cloudycante
lvl.4
Italy

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-3 02:14
More than likely the 'cancel RTH' command will not get through if there is no connection, so it is m ...

That's not entirely true, as to RC and DJI Go App use two different wifi signals on the P3S, so it can be you have connection from the tablet but no signal from the RC, which is what triggers the RTH ( no RTH is triggered by lack of video feed)
2016-7-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cloudycante Posted at 2016-7-3 15:22
That's not entirely true, as to RC and DJI Go App use two different wifi signals on the P3S, so it ...

I stand by what I said. The WiFi connection between the tablet/phone and the RC has nothing to do with it. The OP was not talking about that connection, he was referring to the RC unit to aircraft connection.
And if the connection between the RC unit and the aircraft is lost, then it is likely the command to cancel the RTH will not get through.
2016-7-2
Use props
cloudycante
lvl.4
Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-3 07:07
It depends on the reason as to why it is returning to home. Is this due to low battery or no signal?

Low signal
2016-7-2
Use props
cloudycante
lvl.4
Italy

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-3 07:51
I stand by what I said. The WiFi connection between the tablet/phone and the RC has nothing to do w ...

Ok, so you are telling me that the tablet doesn't have a direct link with the AC, but it talks to it through the RC.
Will then the cancel request go through as soon as the link is re-established, even if I requested it when the link was down?
2016-7-2
Use props
cloudycante
lvl.4
Italy

Btw, today I only could go as far as 70mt, which is frankly disappointing, since I chose a place with less metallic infrastructures around as the usual place where I fly, where I could do as far as 150mt (still not even near the limit of 500mt imposed by law). I'd love for DJI to include a map of interferences on the app, where I can tell if I'm going towards a signal busy site or I'm getting far from it, so I could chose my sites properly.
2016-7-2
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Did anyone look at the logs to see why RTH kicked off? Perhaps when it re-established? This MAY require a log from the drone, not the DJI app - as the app may have not been receiving data from the drone. Next time, do confirm if the light on the remote ever gets red as opposed to green? (I am on advanced, so not sure what model you got).
2016-7-2
Use props
cloudycante
lvl.4
Italy

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-3 09:41
Did anyone look at the logs to see why RTH kicked off? Perhaps when it re-established? This MAY requ ...

I can confirm the led on the RC is always green.  Never see it red.  Of course my eyes are always on the drone, but as soon as I hear the beeping alarm, I look down.
That's another reason why I'm not really getting confidence with this feature: it always seems to kick in unpredictably and never when someone would expect.

Let's be clear, up to now it's always been performed perfectly, and without a glitch. What's absurd is the fact that's being triggered when all other indicators wouldn't suggest it.
I will have a look at the logs, but I expect them to say "signal lost" or something like that. Problem is the other indicators doesn't seem to agree with it
2016-7-3
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

What happens if I cancel RTH and the drone still can't reconnect to the RC? Will it float out there until there's no juice left in the battery and then land by itself? Or will it start the RTH procedure again after a while?

You can't cancel the RTH if there is no connection between the remote and P3 anyway so actually, you answered yourself.
2016-7-3
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-3 08:14
More than likely the 'cancel RTH' command will not get through if there is no connection, so it is m ...

The cancel button is only going to work if you are in RTH and you are connected with the aircraft. If you hit the cancel button and have no connection the drone will automatically go into RTH mode.
2016-7-3
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-3 08:14

The cancel button is only going to work if you are in RTH and you are connected with the aircraft. If you hit the cancel button and have no connection the drone will automatically go into RTH mode.
2016-7-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cloudycante Posted at 2016-7-3 16:55
Ok, so you are telling me that the tablet doesn't have a direct link with the AC, but it talks to  ...

I am pretty certain the RC Unit does not store the command and pass it on when communications are established again.
2016-7-3
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

The RTH will NOT initiate unless:
you initiate
the signal is lost for x number of sec (and the light on the remote is red)
considering the distance from homepoint, and smart RTH enabled, the computer feels it's time to come home, based on battery %

Losing video signal, no impact...
Losing radio signal 1 direction due to interference? Not certain, but perhaps?
2016-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules