Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
could compass been a problem prior
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sgriffi81
lvl.1
United States

So last night i crashed my p3 standard for the 2nd time.  It was at a low level, 10 feet or so but it got away from me and I triggered the wrong way into a thick tree.  After the crash I couldnt take off (abnormal compass).  I tried to re-calibrate but no matter the surface or how far from anything I kept getting (intense electro magnetic interference).  The sensors read the compass at all zero's.  So questions / theories:

- with the sensors at all zero's I read somewhere the compass cable could have been disconnected.  If this is true where n how do I find this?  What voids warranty?  should i not open it up myself?

- prior to the crash the p3 was drifting quite a bit, could the compass have been an issue ahead of time?  Should I be doing the IMU calibration prior to every flight?  I had read somewhere that the compass being sensitive & being stored near magnets can be an issue.....what about in the back of the car with a subwoofer?  If this is true how should I have transported?

The happy side to this is I exchanged it for a new one today since it was only 3 weeks old.  Explained that i thought the compass was a problem prior to my crashing.  What I'd like to know from here is what good materials or videos could you guys suggest to help me with getting better at flight?  Or do i just give up on low level controlled flights and only head out to empty fields...lol.   Also what good materials / videos on repairs?  or is it the only good drone is one that never crashed?
2016-7-3
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

If you check the sensor readings before taking off, your compass readings should be between 1000 and 2000. From what I have read, a normal reading is between 1400 and 1600. If you had less than 1000 you should not have taken off. I usually get a reading of about 1480. If it is down to 1420 or above 1500 then I will likely recalibrate. This has nothing to do with the IMU. However, your IMU readings should not display a correction greater than 1.0.
2016-7-3
Use props
sgriffi81
lvl.1
United States

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-7-3 14:19
If you check the sensor readings before taking off, your compass readings should be between 1000 and ...

so without being forced to where the heck is the re-calibration of the compass?
2016-7-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If you have all zero reading on the compass, I would expect to find the cable unplugged or broken wires.  Maybe they were loose, making intermittent connection.  It is good that you traded for a new one.  Pay close attention to those numbers before you fly.
2016-7-3
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

sgriffi81 Posted at 2016-7-4 03:28
so without being forced to where the heck is the re-calibration of the compass?

Not sure about your question. If you are asking about the app, it is right on the Aircraft Status screen. Go out to a field, take everything out of your pockets including your phone. Take of your watch. Move 10 to 20 feet away and start the calibration process.

Shut everything off and turn on. Go to your Main Controller Settings screen. Tap on advanced settings and tap on Sensors. Your gyroscope and Acceleration should not have a mod value greater than 1.0. Your compass should be between 1,000 and 2,000. If it is not between 1400 and 1600 you might try it again. If it is still 1,000 and 2,000 give it a try. Check the sensors every time you fly and get an idea of the regular reading. It will vary somewhat depending on where you fly, but there should be a range. That becomes your normal range and any substantial variation might indicate there is a problem where you either need to recalibrate the compass or you have some kind of compass problem.
2016-7-3
Use props
sgriffi81
lvl.1
United States

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-7-4 04:01
Not sure about your question. If you are asking about the app, it is right on the Aircraft Status  ...

tx for all the help.  Great community forum!  last flight went well, i'll keep back if i hit issues.
2016-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules