2606 7 2016-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AndersA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 919219 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Anyone else out there using Cinelight and not very happy about it?
My main issus with it so far:
- Your not seeing footage in real time, just a staggering slowmow of it.
- When selecting parts of a clip for import, the marker doesn´t tell how many minutes/seconds in you´ve skimmed, so you´ll just have to guess if you´re getting the parts you want.
- No way of just dumping all the raw stuff on an external drive if you´re in a hurry to empty the ssd to have it redo for new footage. You MUST go thru everything in cinelight and import it from there, which is very time consuming.
- No way of marking which clips to import, you have to remember/write down which ones to select.
- No way of making partial adjustments to areas, ie darkening of sky, lightning of foreground.

Also, I´m very confused by the fact that if your sd-card get full, you cannot record anything more on the ssd! Why? The SD is a backup card for crying out load! I can film without the ssd, but not without the sd. Very strange.
Does anyone know of any upgrades of Cinelight in any near future? Any other thoughts on that program?

2016-7-4
Use props
scott.hoffmanme
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2045614 ft
  • >>>
United States

Id like to also chime in with the crazy issue of having to restart any Mac laptop or cylinder workstation on most recent OS - to be able to mount the SSD?
This is insane, it is a total pain in the you know what and needs to be top priority for DJI to fix it. Every client that I feel... oh you need to restart your laptop looks at me like are you crazy?
Imagine a system doing other work like upland to Vimeo or rendering in the background...
Oh don't mind the need to restart because I'm loading another one of my 3 SSD $1500.00 DJI cards to start the slow process of weeding through what I might use.
I babe not had the need to restart a computer to recognize an external device sine the 1990's... way to go DJI you are NOT leading Edge.

Please fix this time waiting issue, ASAP.

And please overhaul your Cinelight to be a useful program that actually plays the clips and has time of clip as well as time of trimmed clip like suggested from AndersA in his post above.
2016-7-13
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
Flight distance : 546273 ft
  • >>>

AndersA. Very few systems can play raw files in real time. The amount of data is enormous.
You can use the footage recorded on the sd card to check out your shots.
a raw file is not a video file. Before you can start watching your video you have to debayer them. In other words transform the ones and zeroes into a video file. This is what cinelight does. From there you can transcode your files to any codec of import the dng sequences (that's what comes out after the debayer process) into an NLE like Premiere or After Effect or Da Vinci Resolve (my favorite)
Maybe in the future (hint) DJI will share the proprietary debayer utility with Adobe and the like so we will not need Cinelight.
2016-7-15
Use props
AndersA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 919219 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Sky Lens Posted at 2016-7-16 03:39
AndersA. Very few systems can play raw files in real time. The amount of data is enormous.
You can u ...

You´ve got a point there in using the sd for previewing. Good tip. There are however many things to make better in cinelight, for sure. Right now I´m rendering appx 10 minutes of raw 4K into prores 422. Started the process when I went to bed last night. Now, 9,5 hrs later, 25% is done. Twentyfive per cent!!! After nine hours! DJI blames Apple El capitan for not supporting usb 3.0 (which of course Apple denies), someone else said Cinelight only uses one core of the computer. And I don´t know what the fuck to do. I didnt buy a 10000 dollar machine to sit and wait for two full days for it to render ten minuts of footage on a fairly fast macbook pro... :-(
2016-8-12
Use props
dupsta
lvl.1

United States

I began using the X5R and I wish that there was a more up front warning as to what to expect when processing your dailies and raw files. I hear so many folks express frustration and it should be much more transparent what folks are getting into when going from a 60mbs X3 or vision camera to this amazing X5R 2gbs data rate workflow. Which is not always necessary depending on your project.
All this frustration sucks for sure, cinelight is a joke, yes, but the results for me are worth the crap I have to wade through.
But yes I hope this gets better and I am tempted to make a video for first time buyers to understand what they are getting into. Some PSA. lol

You currently can Read and watch all the videos on flying, expos, gains, settings, blah blah blah.
But to understand the post workflow, you are your own DIT.  For example, lets get in touch with the intense workflow.
4k 1.7- 2.2 gbs data rate. recorded to SSD, must transcode in the field, you must use proprietary Cinelight to transcode.  You can not data dump.  re-boot mac to mount drive which is not hot swap-able, oh...before you shoot, set up continues file naming or you get same file names after you shoot. Land...don't crash...
Transcoded into DNG images sequence from SSD which now lives on your external field drive. Go shoot more crap. repeat. Go home start your second Editorial transocde to ProRes, 12mins of footage take about 40 hours to render out ProRes qts. You should also do a one light grade during your second transcode to get some ball park balance.  Oh, but don't ad contrast as your proRes will flicker.  lol
I also render out HD proxy QTs with timecode window burns so I never have to scrub through the 4k raw media when setting up my masters.
So yea, if this is not your full time job and you just want to fly and shoot cool stuff, the X5R is not what I would recommend. But for me this is really cool, I can't wait for DJI to continue to streamline this ambitious  workflow.  Yes the X5R shoots pro video with out a pro workflow. If that makes since.  But I work around it cause the quality is amazing and the footage holds up beautifully and I never want to shot h264 60mbs compressed video ever again.  The dilemma, excellent quality, crap workflow, basic video, easy workflow?  for sure frustrating.  Hang in there.
2016-8-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

dupsta@hotmail. Posted at 2016-8-13 06:57
I began using the X5R and I wish that there was a more up front warning as to what to expect when pr ...

PRORES transcoding from DNG can be performed relatively quickly using Resolve which is free. The problem with CineLight is that its not multithreaded and as such, doesn't tap the potential of multi-core processors.

Raw processing is either for pros or hobbyists with deep pockets for now.

To stop attracting criticism from non technical users, DJI should just remove their 'grading' features from CineLight. I agree that including them is a disservice.
2016-8-15
Use props
laurence.hamilt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 687470 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Please oh please oh please Update Cinelight to be able to offload to two or more field drives simultaneously. Also incorporate some kind of checksum or similar data verification function. These are the most basic offload functions required by a DIT.   
2016-9-14
Use props
Aerofilms
lvl.2
France

The problem is that we can't dump SSD files, nothing more, because DJI wants to impose an awfull soft called Cinelight witch is the worst of the worst.

Let us dumping SSD files and choose our workflow !!! Is that too much DJI ?
I understand they do that to oblige us to buy more DJI SSD, but they just forget we have to backup with professionnal tools and we can't !!

Please do something, it is unusable at all !
2016-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules