988 2 2016-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
werner.daehn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I really learn to love my Inspire. One thing I am overwhelmed with though is flying and adjusting the camera at the same time. FPV flight following your object is one option of course, position the copter and use the camera only another option. Dual operator mode will be the most frequently used method, I assume. All of those options have pros and cons though.

But imagine you would have a small device attached to your object, say a snowboarder, and the Inspire would point the camera to that person always and automatically.
Implementing that as a long range signal - say 100m - would be perfect but even Class 2 bluetooth would help.

From a technical point of view I would imagine a GPS device which is merging finer grained updates from a 9DoF sensors using a Kalman filter into a more reliabel GPS position, height information coming from a barometric sensor. Something like this?  http://www.traceup.com/

Its signal is sent to the tablet using bluetooth and it does move the gimbal accordingly.

Now I can follow my snowboarder from a safe distance through the jumps, can focus on the flight path and the camera is moved automatically keeping the snowboarder in focus all the time.
Or you program waypoints along the bike park, let the inspire fly along and it tracks the rider with the camera.

Wouldn't that be cool?

PS: Autopilot app does support that but using the smartphone's GPS, which is not precise enough and does have a too slow refresh rate of the position signal.
2016-7-4
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Have you tried the Litchi app? Not only can it follow a mobile device on your subject but you can also fly the Inspire and have Litchi "track" your subject. Vertical Studio app can also track the subject while you concentrate on flying.
Both have their limitations but if you use them accordingly, they can be very useful.

Mark G.
2016-7-6
Use props
werner.daehn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Tried? Not yet but will.

I foresee multiple issues though
* Visual framing does work under certain conditions only. No change in shape and color, no similar object nearby, no change in the background. Now imagine a snowboarder and jumps - everything does change and rapidly.
* Trust - what happens if the drone crashes because of the app? Would be nicer if DJI integrates that functionality themselves.

PS: The Phantom 4 visual follow mode does not work good enough
2016-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules