3060 77 2016-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dji really ought to allow RTH (and other modes) to request full power from the motors to fight winds.  I was under the impression that all the flight modes could request full power if needed but recent experience has me believing that this might not be the case.
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-6 20:41
Uploaded the flight log and file as requested in the ticket. Thanks for your help!

Sounds good.
2016-7-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-7 00:11
Returning control to the drone and telling it to Go Home is why I state it "Flew Away". Just becau ...

You just don't get it.
Your Phantom did not fly away.
It's not a nasty comment telling you that.
2016-7-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

helidan Posted at 2016-7-7 00:29
Dji really ought to allow RTH (and other modes) to request full power from the motors to fight winds ...

RTH = 10 m/sec and normal flight = 15 m/sec
But in RTH you can kick the right stick forward and get 15 m/sec
2016-7-6
Use props
bmamalis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2372 ft
United States

You all are ruthless.  I hope I never make a mistake and tell you all about it looking for support.  

His phantom flew away.  Due to poor judgement.  It happens.  And we all learn from it.  I tried to fly on the beach in norcal this past weekend.  Sent it up 10 feet, noticed it was way too windy and cancelled my flight.  I could have easily sent it right up to 50 feet and it would have flown out to sea never to be seen again.  People make mistakes. Cut the guy a break!  I guarantee it won't happen to him again.  

And because of his mistake, I'm about to order a gps tracker.  @MSGNitro thank you for helping me learn that.
2016-7-6
Use props
bmamalis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2372 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-7-5 11:31
But But....those awesome little TK102 trackers are soooooo cheap!   I use one and that sucker is acc ...

Anyone know if a prepaid sim would work on this?  Or does it have to be an active monthly account?
2016-7-6
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

bmamalis Posted at 2016-7-6 11:40
Anyone know if a prepaid sim would work on this?  Or does it have to be an active monthly account?

Thanks for your response.

My understanding is that it will work only as a GPS tracking device without an account. I'm not sure what software links to this and if they charge an administrative fee.

You would have to get a special SIM card for GSM tracking ability with an account.
2016-7-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-6 06:59
Nobody asked for criticism. I'm quite aware of the conditions and potentials. It was unfortunate,  ...

What you apparently aren't aware of is that Labroids, and others on the forum, are more than a little sensitive to the term "flyaway".  That's because there were lots of early claims of "My phantom just flew away, and it's DJI's fault!"  After analysis of the data, almost all of them were caused by the pilot, not DJI, not software, etc.  People scan the titles of these messages and get the impression that all Phantoms fly away without cause.  The real problem is the owner not realizing the consequences of their actions due to inexperience.  Some don't even read the manual!

That said, be sure you also have the latest revision of the manual.  It has changed.  The one I got with mine last July is lacking lots of newer information that I learned right here on the forum.  There are changes in many of the firmware upgrades that sometimes change the way the bird flies.  Pay attention also to the tutorial videos, and be sure you seek out the latest version of them.  When you find a video with old info in it, please let one of the DJI reps here know so they can get it upgraded and a new version posted for all.

The "flyaway" postings don't do much for the reputation of a good product, so there is a certain sensitivity and defensiveness about that terminology.

There ARE issues with DJI, but if you look around on the forum, there has been a huge improvement in customer relations and understanding of each other since several DJI representatives and helpers have gotten more and more active on the forum.  We are all learning more and more about our drones from some of the really knowledgeable people here, and DJI is learning a lot about customer relations and service.  I've seen a drastic improvement in the year I've been here.
2016-7-6
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

RE: P3P - Flew away - Wind + Inexperience??

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-7-6 11:47
What you apparently aren't aware of is that Labroids, and others on the forum, are more than a lit ...

Thanks. I still stand behind my thread title as the Home feature did not quite work as I wanted. However, due to my lack of experience and quick thinking on other possible recovery methods, I added to it.
2016-7-6
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-7 01:52
Thanks. I still stand behind my thread title as the Home feature did not quite work as I wanted. Ho ...

Blown away is probably a more apt description.  As stated, using the term "flyaway" around here has bad connotations, as many inexperienced pilots historically tried to shift blame away from their own misdeeds.  The Phantom's image as a reliable aircraft becomes unjustifiably tainted.   AG0N-Gary has hit the nail on the head with his explanation.   Congratulations for taking full responsibility for your actions though.  I honestly don't think labroides was having a go at you as such, but he does seem to be quite passionate about not throwing around the term "flyaway" as it can be taken out of context.
2016-7-6
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-6 19:59
Thanks. A lot of after thought, but something I will remember for the future.

It is unfortunate and I am sorry. It is also a good reason to fly a cheap drone first. This could be a $100 lesson. These drones cannot fly in as high a wind so if you go out on a 10 or 15mph windy day and pick up some altitude you will probably lose it, curse a bit and learn a lesson.

Pilots get winds aloft forecasts when planning a flight but these are at thousands of feet, not hundreds. They also get updates from ground control. If the ground speed or ground track is not going according to the flight plan, they make adjustments. Drone flyers don't have all those options. You might get a winds aloft at 1500 feet which is the maximum altitude for the Phantom but it is way above the limit we should be flying at.

You can't get a winds aloft forecast for 400 feet or even 1000 so you have to go by the local forecast and add a few miles for safety. Also, playing around with altitude to beat the wind is probably also useless as the layers are generally not that thin. The best course is to gain altitude, go into Atti mode and drive for home. As the battery drains, the drone starts to descend but you still are going forward so a high altitude can give you a good 300 to 500 foot extra forward flight. You can even fight the descent by pushing up on the left stick. At some point you will get a notice that the battery is working to hard and it will descend no matter what you do but you will still be going forward. I once went out a bit too far so I am speaking from experience. After the warning I would wait minute or so and then push up on the stick and gain another 100 or so feet before I would get the warning again. I got back to the home point with 7 per cent and swore it would never happen again.

At some point, say 7 to 10 per cent you have to let it land or else it will reach a point where it just falls out of the sky. Still, the closer you land to home, the better chance you have of finding it. As I was trying to get this bird home, I was also scouting landing fields such as parks or homes with large yards. You don't have to just let it crash somewhere like a forest, lake or roadway. You do have some control because as it is automatically landing you still have directional control.
2016-7-6
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 13:20
I agree 100%, but I'm guilty of not having one. I sold my P3P a month ago and sold the Trackimo wit ...

#1)  dang, man, I want YOUR job!  M600, inspire, etc etc...nice!

#2) Wish I'd known about the "Ken discount"!  I just ordered a replacement P3P AC only from BH photo yesterday.  I looked on DJI site and found the AC only but it came with camera and VPS, and mine are fine.  Do you guys sell the stripped down version too?
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kdcox Posted at 2016-7-7 03:12
#1)  dang, man, I want YOUR job!  M600, inspire, etc etc...nice!

#2) Wish I'd known about the "Ke ...

it is fun flying them, but only the P4 belongs to me. The others are DJI's but I get to keep them at home for a while
And the Ken discount is for people who leave goodies on my doorstep
Just kidding, If someone needs assistance any they are totally cordial in the forum I will go to bat for them and see if there's anything I can do to help out.
2016-7-6
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

that sucks man, sorry the trolls are beating you up. hope to see ya flying again soon!
2016-7-6
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

digdat0 Posted at 2016-7-6 15:57
that sucks man, sorry the trolls are beating you up. hope to see ya flying again soon!

Thanks. I've thought a lot about it... and the "What if I did this..".... thoughts just don't stop. It's almost wasted thought now. I kinda wish I had a completely open area for miles that I could do some real wind testing / controlling to see how these things act and then see how I can recover if at all possible. At least then I have somewhere to bring it down instead of being over water like I wound up being.
2016-7-6
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-6 13:01
Thanks. I've thought a lot about it... and the "What if I did this..".... thoughts just don't stop ...

Keep your head high man, it happens. I was really close to a similar situation. I went to the coast a few weeks back, it was windy. But, I was determined to fly. Trying to fly, i flipped it on take off. As seen, here:

I flipped that sucker over, and went back to it. But, the wind was gusting .. BAD. 35mph+ .. I was able to fly a bit, but it was way too strong. Here's a clip of the longer flight fighting wind. The gusts were so bad, on a few occasions the phantom stopped moving forward.

at one point, it almost took it over the jetty and lost forever. I was able to drop altitude and fight through the wind. I landed, packed that up and tucked my tail. I've learned, and you will too. Don't beat yourself up .. it will kill ya. Stay positive and keep flying. Crap happens ;)

2016-7-6
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-7 04:01
Thanks. I've thought a lot about it... and the "What if I did this..".... thoughts just don't stop ...

I live in an area with very few large parks.  My first flights and when I am trying something new is at a high school football field.

I suggest you buy a JXD509g. It is cheap, fairly rugged, has a barometer but no GPS. Buy a few extra batteries and a multi-charger. Practice handling and flying in light winds.  READ THE MANUAL THOROUGHLY.

If you want GPS, TRY THE Hubsan H501 S. It handles well and can fly at about 20 mph without wind. It costs $269 or less. With some transmitter mods you can get 300 to 1000 meters. It has RTH. I HAVE 2 batteries, a modified transmitter and several antennas I can sell you.

While you are flying it around and  having fun, you can start dreaming about your next Phantom. You will appreciate just what a great drone it is. You can spend time reading the manual, roaming the forums and watching every possible video tutorial.

You should not beat yourself up about the Phantom. You, and many others, made the simple mistake of buying too much drone with too little experience. It's like your kid getting his driver's license and then handing him the keys to your sports car. He might be ok, but the prudent thing is to have him start driving something a little less powerful.

Don't dwell on what you could have done differently. Get something you can handle and learn on. When you crash it, you won't feel as bad. The Buddha said that guilt is useless and regrets are only helpful if they teach us something.
2016-7-6
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

Thanks guys. I've flown with the cheaper kid versions Syma X5C-1 and had some learning, but they do not handle at all in the wind. I will look at some of the other less expensive but "heavier" ones and see what I can do.
2016-7-7
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

Did you check your flight log in the go app to see where it landed?
2016-7-7
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

bfd300 Posted at 2016-7-7 09:37
Did you check your flight log in the go app to see where it landed?

Initially.. no... I have now... Might visit the area... But it's been almost a month.

I only drove around the area looking for it on the day it got pulled away with the wind.
2016-7-7
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-7 10:39
Initially.. no... I have now... Might visit the area... But it's been almost a month.

I only drov ...

Its worth going to look around the area where she disappeared, u see stories at Phantom pilots site about this & hey, look in the lost & found section at P.pilots, there is one listed right now that a guy found in his back field, he noticed a green blinking light at night, finally went to take a look & found a phantom sitting there!
RE- Trackers- I notice the one has a battery good for only 24 hrs, TK102 I think it is.
2016-7-7
Use props
guns&cameras
lvl.2

United States

Sorry for your loss..At least you got a deal on a new craft..
2016-7-7
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

guns&cameras Posted at 2016-7-7 11:14
Sorry for your loss..At least you got a deal on a new craft..

Thanks. Not sure I got a deal yet... Waiting on Support to respond.
2016-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi @MSGNitro, really sorry to read about your present drone situation. It's indeed very sad and frustrating to experience a loss like this. Fly away, flew off, "blown"(hahaha), sailed out of control, what ever. . .
Whether it was or wasn't 100% of your own fault, atleast it is being looked at by the experts and hopefully something good can come out of all this, for you. Hard lessons though. Tough luck bud.
There has been a lot of good information shared in this thread above, and I know that you have already and hopefully many others who took the time to read it, will have learned a few things to consider when flying, even in a light ~ moderate wind condition. Thanks for manning up, and realizing the error of your ways. It takes a bigger man to admit his frailties. You will only become a better pilot and drone owner because of this. ;-)

Good luck in the very near and distant future. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-7-7
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Sadly, flying in strong winds will affect the range and distance you should fly.  You should be able to pull up your flight within the DJI Go app to see if you can find its last resting place.

On your next drone purchase a few things to remember when flying.
Always check the wind conditions.  
I prefer to fly with little to no wind.
Can you get your bird where you fly?
                              Don't flying near heavy traffic
                              large open bodies of water (unless you know what you are doing)
                              over large buildings
                              congested areas of people.
Make sure to learn how to fly in manual mode.
Always do a pre-flight check.
2016-7-7
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 13:47
Ok, I was able to hook you up a little bit.
Call 818-235-0789 and start a ticket and say that Ken  ...

HEY!
When you going to hook me up!
2016-7-7
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-5 14:20
I agree 100%, but I'm guilty of not having one. I sold my P3P a month ago and sold the Trackimo wit ...

YOU WHAT???
I wanted that bird.  
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-7-8 01:07
HEY!
When you going to hook me up!

Crash your aircraft and send it in
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-7-8 01:10
YOU WHAT???
I wanted that bird.

I'm sorry man, I got a new iPad Pro 128GB LTE,  $600 for it.
I'll sell you the iPad
2016-7-7
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

I've contacted the company.... waiting on them to ask around their yard. Fingers crossed.
LastKnown.png
2016-7-7
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-7 13:15
Crash your aircraft and send it in

92 flights and no crash for my bird, but as you know they would not accept my "modified" bird (OR WOULD THEY???).
2016-7-7
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-7 13:17
I'm sorry man, I got a new iPad Pro 128GB LTE,  $600 for it.
I'll sell you the iPad

Traitor star-wars-the-force-awakens-melee-stormtrooper-1a.gif

Acutally I am thinking about the Inspire 2.0 or the P4.
Hmmm Choices.
2016-7-7
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

OMG!!! HS!!!...... THEY FOUND MY DRONE!!!!

They claim it's a bit damaged.... but they have it. I'm going to get it in the morning!!!
2016-7-7
Use props
bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

Sweet!!!!!
2016-7-7
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-7-7 16:52
OMG!!! HS!!!...... THEY FOUND MY DRONE!!!!

They claim it's a bit damaged.... but they have it. I'm ...

Great news, one more point. Put your name and phone number on it now. If they were honest enough to keep it safe for you, they might have called you if you had your number on it. First thing I did with mine.
2016-7-7
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
United States

Thinking about this thread last night and the possible problems with estimating wind at low levels.In another life, I was a glider pilot. I recall that if you look outside and the treetops are bending a little, you probably have a 15 to 20 knot wind. If they are curving at the top, think 20 to 30.  

I used to leave work Friday afternoon and head to the airport and meet a friend. We arranged this because a tow pilot doesn't like to come out for a single tow. He was a mentor and a friend and got me out of my business and enjoying more time in the air.

One Friday We arranged to meet at 2pm. I looked outside my window and saw the nearby treetops were bent over. I figured the wind was about 25 to 30 knots. I could still fly, but it wouldn't be any fun as I couldn't go very far as any altitude gained from thermals would get used up fighting the headwind on the way back to the airport which meant not getting out of sight of the airport.  Also, strong winds will magnify pilot errors and I just didn't feel that I had enough experience. I had landed out once and that was enough for a while.

I decided not to go.  Later that day I found out my friend had gone anyway. He was towed up to about 500 feet when his tow hook unlatched. He turned back toward the runway. He was supposed to turn into the headwind so it would take him back. Instead he made a mistake and turned into the tailwind and was blown far afield. He must have panicked as he tried to over control the craft, spun into the ground and died. He was a very experienced pilot but he made the mistake of going out in marginal conditions and combined it with a pilot error that can happen to anyone.

Maybe we would all be better off if we imagined ourselves in the cockpit of our drones. Perhaps we would be more cautious about our planned maneuvers,our fuel supply, more knowledgeable about our aircraft, topography and wind conditions.

Flying is an unforgiving sport. That is something every pilot knows when they take off.  There is no hitting the brakes or pulling over by the side of the road. I am making a resolution that from now on when I fly I will pretend I am in the cockpit and think about what I am doing as though my own neck is on the line. Perhaps my bird will last a little longer.

2016-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules