18953 77 2016-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-7-6 17:44
The hoop is now every time he wants to fly, he will need to UNLOCK his yellow location.  This may  ...

Flight Raptor... Again, I haven't had the chance to experience this first hand yet but my understanding is you can leave GEO on and click ignore for all zones other than restricted ones. I know the option is at least in the Go app. That's why I asked that dirtdroner read the thread. This was previously mentioned. I'd be happy to join the chorus if that proves to not be true.
2016-7-6
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

The AGREE button doesn't work.
Agree.JPG
2016-7-6
Use props
ShuanD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131224 ft

Did you read all of the terms before trying the agree button?
2016-7-6
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turbo Guam Posted at 2016-7-6 18:19
So you can turn GEO off? I live on a small island and i am very limited to where I can fly.

Yes - just turn Off the GEO option under General Settings.  Easy Breezy.
2016-7-6
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dirtdroner Posted at 2016-7-6 18:57
A guy 4 1/2 miles from me has a little grass strip for his ultralight. That means I get the warnings ...

When you are flying around that area, you can just turn off GEO System option under General Settings in the DJI GO app.
2016-7-6
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

When I get into map screen of DJI GO app, only GEO fence zones in the immediate vicinity of my last aircraft position are displayed on the map - three Geo-fenced areas in area approx. 10 mile radius around me.  For example, 25 miles west of downtown Houston, TX, I only see 3 yellow NFZs for the 3 regional airports closest to my location.  However, if I zoom out on the map and scroll to the east, there are no NFZs are shown on my current map around the two international airports north and south of the city (IAH and HOB airports).  They MUST be there - I assume I cannot SEE them because they are both more than 30 miles from my current GPS coordinates.  Is that correct?

QUESTIONS:
1) How do I explore the locations of other geo-fence areas at a greater distance from my current location using the DJI GO app? This is necessary to explore areas where I plan to fly next.
2) Where is the Flight Planner located in the DJI GO app?  Or is this a web page on the DJI.com website?  If so, I can't find it there either?
2016-7-6
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-6 19:59
When I get into map screen of DJI GO app, only GEO fence zones in the immediate vicinity of my last  ...

david...

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock
2016-7-6
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-6 20:59
Flight Raptor... Again, I haven't had the chance to experience this first hand yet but my understa ...

Being able to click ignore for all zones certainly is 'easy', but again DJI states they will record this and it gives them permission to use your personal data as they see fit...that is what bothers me.
2016-7-6
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dirtdroner Posted at 2016-7-6 19:57
A guy 4 1/2 miles from me has a little grass strip for his ultralight. That means I get the warnings ...

I haven't done an exhaustive search on the DJI GEO site, but I assume their regions also follow the regions you can see in the FAA "B4uFly" app.  If that is the case, every Joe Blow makeshift landing strip and every heli pad has a 5 mile halo around it........it is INSANE how much area this covers in some locations.  By the letter of the FAA rules, that would mean I need to contact all of the locations like this that I'm within 5 miles from (not just 'ignore' them)....that just seems ludicrous to me as I was shocked to see how many of these strips and heli pads are out in the middle of nowhere land.  I agree...why do they get precedence over us.
2016-7-6
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

I'm wondering why people have such a problem with DJI having their 'info'. Most folks on healthydrones.com make their flights public. Unless you are breaking the rules, and endangering the ability of others to fly their drones safely and without even more regulations, I don't see what the problem would be. The FAA can't even get 333 applications processed. Do you really think they are going to review 'your' flight logs and see if you were a bad boy/girl? DJI is clearly trying to make an effort to be proactive and show that this community can be responsible. THEY ARE TRYING TO AVOID FURTHER REGULATIONS!!!!!!!
2016-7-6
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Is this Geo system active in Australia yet?  
There's an airport currently a few kms from me that stops me from flying over 2/3 of my farm (NFZ), but when I look it up on the site below there is no circles?  Does that mean if I use the new app I can fly over the rest of my property?  Or does the DJI Go app overlay the NFZs on top of the Geo map so at least one takes effect?
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock
2016-7-6
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-7 04:32
When you are flying around that area, you can just turn off GEO System option under General Settin ...

Turning this off is not a 'i can go back' button, because both old NFZ and current Geo is a dynamic system what could be anytime changed/updated by DJI.

So you can turn off geo and you could get one big earh sized NFZ in future.
2016-7-7
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-7 06:07
I'm wondering why people have such a problem with DJI having their 'info'. Most folks on healthydron ...

Because this is NOT an info.

I want to have info - yes, but the power of flying should be in my hands, not DJI. Why should you ask DJI for permission to use your hardware?

You should ask for permission an zone owner, not DJI.
They are only trying to collect and process a data. If they want to mess with something, then they should mess with their future product, NOT ALREADY SOLD.

Imagine a situation. You are buying a car. You are using it, and someday your car dont work because manufacturer said you cant use it. You should ask car manufacturer for permission to use your car.... hm.. when you bought that car, it works good, but it was changed in meantime.
2016-7-7
Use props
Turbo Guam
lvl.1

Guam

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-7 10:01
dirtdroner... Please read this thread and let us all know exactly what hoops you are going to be f ...

I guess our island just has restricted zones which are much smaller than the green and yellow zones. The red zones seem to extend further out when on the east and west side of the runway. I am kind of glad that its not yellow and green, but it just sucks that we are left to deal with the restriction. I bought a P4 assuming there was no such thing as an NFZ since I could literally fly my flamewheel (dji) 450 anywhere with no restrictions.
2016-7-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-7 00:07
I'm wondering why people have such a problem with DJI having their 'info'. Most folks on healthydron ...

Part of the INFO that they have is credit card info.  This isn't just address and phone numbers.

Taken directly from the flysafe DJI GEO website FAQs:

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Are you going to turn over my information to the government?
In general, not unless there is a specific reason to. In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization Zone at the location, date, and time in question. This creates a path to accountability in the event of an incident without requiring burdensome up-front collection of personal information, and we feel strikes the right balance at this time. Our observation is that the vast, vast majority of aerial system operators are responsible community citizens who follow the rules as well as common sense, and therefore it is only necessary to create an accountability mechanism when the operation occurs in a location that raises an aviation safety or security concern. We think our customers deserve the benefit of the doubt, and an accountability system that is minimally invasive.

2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

United Kingdom

On July 5, DJI introduced an improved version of our geofencing system in the latest update to the DJI GO app in the U.S. and Europe. As we mentioned when we released the update, our goal was – and always will be – safety. We want customers to fly responsibly, while still enabling full capabilities of our aerial platforms.

Geospatial Online Environment introduced flexibility for DJI drone operators, allowing them to unlock some geofences locations where they have permission to operate. And it improved upon our previous geofencing technology, by including live updated information about temporary flight restrictions.

For DJI customers, GEO is an excellent solution to make educated and informed flight decisions easier than ever. But we recognize that our vast range of global customers spans everyone from occasional recreational users all the way to certified commercial operators who fly for a living. Your needs are largely -- but not always -- the same.

For operators who are still not able to access or unlock areas where they are authorized to fly, please send a note to us at flysafe@dji.com with your requests. We pledge to work with you to the best of our ability to help you fly where you’re authorized to fly.
3.pic_hd.jpg
2016-7-7
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-7-7 06:52
On July 5, DJI introduced an improved version of our geofencing system in the latest update to the D ...

DJI-Tim,

Thanks for this info on this major and important new feature. I appreciate that in introducing this feature that DJI, at least for now, is giving its customers the option in the DJI app to turn OFF the new GEO system. I took a first flight with the new features activated last night and did not encounter any problems/inconveniences. I'm not concerned about Restricted Zones, as I don't fly and don't intend to fly in those areas. However, as I start traveling to other areas where I have flown before and new areas, I will be very interested to see how the implementation of Yellow Authorization Zones and Green Enhanced Warning Zones, which are much larger, impacts my flight planning and shooting experience.

With regard to current implementation of GEO System, I have the following suggestions to improve your customers' ability to pre-plan flights and explore the potential impacts of the Geofencing system as implemented in the DJI GO app and Phantom/Inspire aircraft firmware:

1) Allow all four Geofencing zones to be displayed in the DJI GO app when viewing the map screen in the DJI GO app when the DJI GO app is NOT connected to an aircraft.  Currently, no GEO Zones are displayed on the map screen if there is no aircraft connected.

2) Revise the DJI GO app so that it automatically downloads and displays all four Geofencing zones on the map screen as the user scrolls the map screen around to areas outside the immediate vicinity of the current aircraft position. As in suggestion 1, above, it would be preferable if this happened whether or not an aircraft was currently connected to the DJI GO app.  But it should DEFINITELY happen when an aircraft IS connected to the DJI GO app.

In my testing last evening, only three Geofencing zones (for nearby regional airports) were displayed on the DJI GO app map screen within an area that was approx. a 10 mile radius around the current aircraft position. When I scrolled the map to other areas that I typically fly, which were further away than approx. 10 miles from my current position, no geofencing zones were displayed in those areas, including over major international airports in my home town of Houston. This surprised and confused me.  I confirmed later, that there were indeed geofencing zones, including the expected Red Restricted Zones, around those international airports by using the on-line Flight Planner and NFZ authorization web page on DJI.com.  However, in my opinion, the DJI GO app should always display all geofencing zones on the map area that is currently displayed assuming there is a working internet connection.
2016-7-7
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-7-7 06:30
Part of the INFO that they have is credit card info.  This isn't just address and phone numbers.

Flight Raptor... How long do you think any of the possibly 100's of companies that have your credit card info would stay in business if they were 'giving away' your credit card info? Why would they give it away and to who?
2016-7-7
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-7 12:20
Flight Raptor... How long do you think any of the possibly 100's of companies that have your credi ...

Please see my edit above.....taken directly from DJI's FAQs on their flysafe GEO website:

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Are you going to turn over my information to the government?

In general, not unless there is a specific reason to. In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization Zone at the location, date, and time in question. This creates a path to accountability in the event of an incident without requiring burdensome up-front collection of personal information, and we feel strikes the right balance at this time. Our observation is that the vast, vast majority of aerial system operators are responsible community citizens who follow the rules as well as common sense, and therefore it is only necessary to create an accountability mechanism when the operation occurs in a location that raises an aviation safety or security concern. We think our customers deserve the benefit of the doubt, and an accountability system that is minimally invasive.

Please don't misunderstand my position.  I have ZERO intention of breaking any laws or flying recklessly.  I am a rule and law-abiding citizen.  With identity theft these days skyrocketing, it is just makes you uneasy when your valuable financial type information is placed in yet ANOTHER location that could not only be exposed, but could be readily given out by this 3rd party agency that confirms your identity.  Not as bad as your SS#, but still is concerning.
2016-7-7
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-7-7 09:46
Please see my edit above.....taken directly from DJI's FAQs on their flysafe GEO website:

http://w ...

Flight Raptor... Honestly. Do you really think the feds don't already have your credit card info? They can listen to your phone calls if they decide to. You most likely gave it to the FAA when you registered your drone. Sorry. I just don't see this as anything to be concerned about.
2016-7-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-7 08:59
Flight Raptor... Again, I haven't had the chance to experience this first hand yet but my understa ...

This maybe true but it's just another step towards unwanted, unneeded regulations that no one enforces anyway. But if your a liberal democrat then you like big brother controlling every aspect of your life, I do not.
2016-7-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>

Linolens Posted at 2016-7-7 09:50
The AGREE button doesn't work.

I can't get the agree button to work and yes I scrolled all the way to the bottom. It's gotten so these king of screw ups are the new normal with DJI.
2016-7-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-7-7 12:07

The less personal info a company has the better, case in point, over the years several companies that I deal with have had security breaches which resulted in all my personal information becoming exposed, my health insurance company had a laptop stolen out of an employees car!!! They did however offer me free credit monitoring.lol
2016-7-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>

dirtdroner Posted at 2016-7-7 08:58
I knew somebody would get it

This site is chuck full of Obama,Hilary voter and they just don't get it. I've read being a liberal democrat is a disease.
2016-7-7
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

CincyFPV Posted at 2016-7-6 11:22
Instead of blaming DJI for enhancing GEO how about switching that to all the Phantom Menace owners t ...

I must say it's a little concerning to me the lack of pilot concern for citizen safety.
Losing control of your drone over a populated area is going to get you some criminal implications if things really go wrong and you injure someone either by hitting them with the drone or the drone hitting a vehicle and causing a traffic accident.
My fun does not outweigh citizens right to safety from drones.
We may all end  up flying simulators only if we don't respect peoples safety.
My two cents
2016-7-10
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

agilarmanuel Posted at 2016-7-6 11:29
well is time to unbox my typhoon H

Tell us how it goes.
2016-7-10
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.2

I have a month with my H and until now I have no problem the H flying like an eagle I like also no problems with updates or anything DJI has many problems with updates i know is not the best drone in the market but is good and very fun for me am stay out from dji update firmware until it fixed
2016-7-10
Use props
redskinman
lvl.1

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-7 10:29
Yes - just turn Off the GEO option under General Settings.  Easy Breezy.

I have no such option under general settings
2016-7-20
Use props
redskinman
lvl.1

My subdivision is right next to a small airpark.I bought 2 tablets off ebay that I just received today.Downloaded the go app on each and of course no fly zone popped up and wouldnt let me the drone power up.I saw no option to turn of geo in settings but it wouldnt be the first time I was blind to something staring me in the face.So I went to the DJI website and agreed to the terms to unlock it,one of which says I have permission{which I dont}and now I can fly it.
I just wanted to test the tablets and see which one I liked better and if they had any lag because I'm going to need to turn around and sell one of them on ebay.I wasnt flying more than 20' up.I'm not going to flying anywhere near an airplane so having to do go through these hoops is a pain in the ass but cant do anything about it.

By the way in case anyones interested,I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4,then saw a video on youtube showing it had a lot of lag.So I saw a good deal on an Ipad mini 2 so I bought it,now I need to sell one of them.Just testing in front of the house and not going far they both worked great with no lag at all.I dont know if the lag gets worse when you fly further or not.I need to do further testing.Right now I'm on crutches and trying to carry something or go somewhere is hard to do,and in this Tx heat I'm sweating my butt off in no time
2016-7-20
Use props
redskinman
lvl.1

redskinman Posted at 2016-7-21 06:35
I have no such option under general settings

Just hooked up ipad again and now I see the function to turn it off,it's very obvious.Its on the same page I was looking at before,I dont see how I could have missed it.I swear it wasnt there before.Now Im pissed I signed up for that damn unlocking thing and gave them all my info and then lied about having permission!{:4_142:}
2016-7-20
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

redskinman Posted at 2016-7-20 19:53
Just hooked up ipad again and now I see the function to turn it off,it's very obvious.Its on the s ...

redskinman,

Were the two tablets you were evaluating linked to a powered on remote controller and a powered on P4 when you were first looking for the GEO option?  This DJI GO app setting - like several others - only appears when the tablet is connected to a powered on RC and aircraft. Also, you cannot look for no fly zones and warning zones on the DJI GO app map screen unless the tablet is connected to a powered on RC and aircraft.  I have suggested to DJI that they remove that requirement in the DJI GO app.
2016-7-20
Use props
redskinman
lvl.1

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-21 12:22
redskinman,

Were the two tablets you were evaluating linked to a powered on remote controller and  ...

Well youve planted that seed of doubt in my head but i'm 99% sure they were.Sometimes theres just a glitch like that for whatever reason
2016-7-21
Use props
redskinman
lvl.1

Ok has anybody actually tried turning off geo when near airport to see if it would work? I'm still testing out these tablets,was just in my backyard and tried ipad mini first.It warned me I was near airport but let me fly without having to do anything,and this was with geo turned on.
So I switched to the galaxy tab 4.Would not let me takeoff because i was near airport.Went into settings and turned geo off.Would not let me start.Went back into settings,geo was on! Everytime I turned it off and then went back into menu it was turned back on again no matter what I did.So I thought I'd reboot the tablet and turn geo off from the getgo.Still same problem,would not let me takeoff without signing into dji and unlocking the no fly zone.The geo would automatically be on everytime I went back into settings.Even if I just went into settings,turned it off,escaped out of settings then went back into settings and it was back on again.So I have to say WTF!?
2016-7-21
Use props
E7cfBvztOaKm
New

While Brendan Schulman's goal and as a result DGI's is a noble one. I personally believe its currently being implemented inapropriately.

First, does this send a message to your competitors that don't have this restrictive system to push a "we don't tell you where you should fly" marketing campeign, and on that note, why would DGI not just inform users of restricted areas instead of programming the aircraft to land immediately when in a restricted zone. What is Mr Brendan Schulman's  opinion on DGI's liability if this happens and involves an incident when the aircraft lands? An aircraft forced to land outside the control of the person controlling it, irrespective of where the aircraft is, puts the control in DGI's hands and I think would put the liability in DGI's hands for not landing perfectly safely... i.e. Hitting a power line and causing damage, falling into a construction zone, falling on top of a baby carriage, we can all think of many different types of incidents where this might happen.

Secondly, instead of just notifying users of warning areas, DGI chose to in effect act as a government agency by enforcing rules they decided is specifically tailored to resolve a problem they have no control over creating the rules for...

In effect DGI is setting a bad example for other companies, not necessarily in the drone field by enforcing these rules on their own, instead of just conforming to current laws and informing their customers they THEY have to conform to them.

I think money is better spent on reaserch and development in inovations in future products than the hundreds of man hours it to to get the GeoFencing accomplished. I'm almost sure no other drone company will see any benefit from this complex issue other than to wait and see what the government implements in the law, and finds acceptable, but that does not mean you should implement constrictions (like restricting the use of your product, and adding abberent controls to land aircraft) you deem applicable to the law... You are not lawmakers, the FAA is.

This is not to say that you should not meet with, consult, and advise the FAA, and your customers, on the contrary. Form there you will know where to go. But inadvertently adding rules and controls on your devices as a non agency is a recipe for failure...

I suggest you make these controls advisaries only and not controls. No one likes to be controlled, unless there is a law in place, and then most law abiding citizens will follow them. Roges will always be out there, and you won't be able to stop them with your GEO Fencing, you will just be encourageing them, and devaluating your product line overall.

These are just my opinions I hope they provide food for thought, and I wish the best for your product, and I wish for the best for the FAA as they create resulations that don't stifle inovation but creates advancements in technology, much like DJI has done in the drone field, right up until now...

Regards,

Alex
2016-9-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

E7cfBvztOaKm Posted at 2016-9-5 04:07
While Brendan Schulman's goal and as a result DGI's is a noble one. I personally believe its current ...

Alex,

Brendan does not set policy.  He is one that is responsible to try to make sure that the vision of DJI is represented to the governing bodies.  Our competitors do not listen to us they are on their own path.  We inform users on our NFZ and give them the option to opt in or out of the GEO program.  I am not sure why you would be out as it is not intrusive and allows you to self authorize in NFZ.  Just my opinion.  Sincerely.
2016-9-4
Use props
sierahotel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 430823 ft
Canada

GEO is there to mitigate potential liabilities. If a drone is flown into an airport, gets sucked into a jet engine and causes a crash,  no individual is going to be able to pay the millions in damages. Since they are a corporation, DJI becomes the target of a lawsuit that would bring the whole company down if lost. Better to have the GEO in there just to prevent such catastrophes from ever happening.
2016-10-26
Use props
nevoeiro1974
lvl.1

Portugal

Well, this GEO thing sucks and I'm considering selling my Phantom 4 Pro. I live in Portugal. DJI CAN'T BE ABOVE OUR LAWS, and it is MINE AND ONLY MINE responsability to see if I should or not fly. This is the same as a car manufacturer putting a safety feature on a car that it can't go on a one way road. People are either responsable or not. There should be an office in my country regulating this and forcing anyone with a drone to register it and should there be any problem, held the owner responsable, just like any other vehicle. I wouldn't have bought this if I was aware of this piece of junk limitation.  For several times now I've tryied to fly on a yellow zone, made the unlock, update it to the drone via tablet, and still didn't take of the ground.
2017-6-16
Use props
fans92e1a08b
New

Spain

The app no respond
2017-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules