Inspire 1: android - iOS app difference
6855 15 2015-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Macphi
lvl.2

Switzerland

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and I just ordered a new inspire 1. Can't wait.
I have an iPad and would normally go for the iOS app. That being said, I understand dji is facing some issues with apple.
Therefore my questions is: anyone knows how good is the android app, and how it compares to the iOS "sister" app?

Thanks to all and happy flying!

2015-1-24
Use props
jay_herron.emai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50656 ft
United States

The android app works great. I am an apple only guy, but couldn't wait for dji to get their stuff together for i-pad which i bought exclusively for the Inspire. I ended up buying a Samsung Tablet which works great. only issue i had which dji techs were not aware of, but sent me a site on finding the darned "debugging usb" menu for newest android operating system. The menu doesn't show up on new tablets with the android's latest operating system and is "hidden" .  I followed instructions from a site that DJI sent to me explaining how to uncover the menu. This is why we like apple/ Ipad! Non-the-less, I found it works great for only $180.00, and will use tablet on 2nd camera operator remote (whenever that shows up!), and I'll use the I-pad on main transmitter when the pilot app. officially works with it...
2015-1-24
Use props
mlglisson.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a samsung tab 4 8in though I am an apple guy I know the various problems these days I was planning on using a mini2 The first thing I did when I received my tab was to turn on usb debugging (Which I learned about on youtube. I do not have my inspire yet - they claim I will get it on the 28th (not holding my breath) I will report how the new bird reacts when I set it up. Having2 P2V+'s I'm used to the apple app.
2015-1-24
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I have both an iPad mini 3 (WiFi) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and from first hand experience, I can tell you that the iPad's feed is way smoother than the Samsung's. The Samsung also has a nasty habit of lagging, which I rarely ever experience from the mini 3.
2015-1-24
Use props
gjohnson.acecle
New
United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-25 02:35
I have both an iPad mini 3 (WiFi) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and from first hand experience, I c ...

Sorry for my ignorance, but does DJI support iPad3, just took delivery of dual remote Inspire, no luck with LG running Android . . . endless loop of USB BS.  Do you recommend iPad mini3, and is SW avail?  Thanks!
2015-1-26
Use props
neuroverse
lvl.1

United States

I second ghoonk - the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 was jittery for me. iPad Mini 2 has a smooth video feed. I'm holding out for an official iOS app, otherwise I'll be looking at the NVIDIA Shield. It's a gaming tablet, so it has great performance.
2015-1-26
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

gjohnson.acecle Posted at 2015-1-27 14:12
Sorry for my ignorance, but does DJI support iPad3, just took delivery of dual remote Inspire, no  ...

No, the iPad 3 is not supported. Only Air 2 and newer. Which means:

iPhone 6
iPhone 6+
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3
iPad Air 2

Hope this helps
2015-2-11
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Sorry for my ignorance, but does DJI support iPad3, just took delivery of dual remote Inspire, no  ...

I'm personally very happy with the iPad mini 3. I was hoping to get a mini 2 as I did not need touch ID but there were no second hand units available in Singapore when I got my Inspire. The mini 3 fits the cradle fine, and I'm told the Air 2 is a bit of a tight fit.

I wasn't too keen on the Air 2 as the display is huge and makes the remote somewhat unwieldy. That said, my only regret with the mini 3 is not getting one with LTE.
2015-2-11
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I'm personally very happy with the iPad mini 3. I was hoping to get a mini 2 as I did not need touch ID but there were no second hand units available in Singapore when I got my Inspire. The mini 3 fits the cradle fine, and I'm told the Air 2 is a bit of a tight fit.

I wasn't too keen on the Air 2 as the display is huge and makes the remote somewhat unwieldy. That said, my only regret with the mini 3 is not getting one with LTE.

Oh, and the iOS app is now available on the Apple App Store
2015-2-11
Use props
jbienz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39567 ft
United States

Now that the official iOS app is out, can anyone who has been using the Android version comment on how the experience compares with iOS? I'm especially interested to hear from someone who has been using the nVidia SHIELD tablet.

I originally bought an iPad Mini 3 for the Inspire but then ended up getting a SHIELD because I didn't want to wait some untold number of weeks to get the iOS app. Since I have both devices, I'd be curious to hear peoples opinions on the pluses and minuses of each.

Thanks!
2015-2-11
Use props
tgraustin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3396490 ft
United States

Hey guys, does anyone know if you need cellular data and/or wifi on the tablet when using the app?
2015-2-11
Use props
JKent
lvl.1

United States

tgraustin Posted at 2015-2-12 02:01
Hey guys, does anyone know if you need cellular data and/or wifi on the tablet when using the app?

My understanding is that you don't unless you want to be able to pull up maps that are not already cached.
2015-2-11
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

Just for info : official 1.0 iOS version is out.
2015-2-11
Use props
tgraustin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3396490 ft
United States

YES! Finally

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dji-pilot/id943780750?mt=8
2015-2-11
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Anyone else have this issue with the android app??

Finally  Congrats to DJI for pushing this issue to the forefront and  getting the IOS pilot App back in our hands!! BRAVO!!

Had anyone else who was running the android app notice when in channel auto or custom when you would toggle custom it would not pull up a screen to toggle the channel?? The IOS app lets you choose a channel via a pull down screen my android app failed there and wasn't allowing me to toggle a custom channel.
Wonder what gives there as the new IPS app let me easily choose a channel if not on auto.

Nice they added a warning window in the IOS app to pop up when your in front of the air craft before take off. or was that there already?

ANYONE ELSE USING THE ANDROID APP NOTICE THIS SITUATION OF NOT BEING ABLE TO TOGGLE A CUSTOM CHANNEL?
Nor to slide the channel data so to see the channels in which to pick from on the data graph it isolates just a small block of channels in auto not showing all or allowing one to slide ones finger on graph to observe the higher band channels...
FUNKY is the word,,, using the android app in comparison to the IOS app.

On that note I bagged the android pilot app and settling with the IOS lots more flyer info at hand which is a big win !
2015-2-11
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-1-25 02:35
I have both an iPad mini 3 (WiFi) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and from first hand experience, I c ...

I fully agree and happy to be back using a ipad mini 2(A7 chip) wifi over the android Samsung pro  8.4tablet and app.
2015-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules