Do you need license to fly in Austria?
1225 6 2016-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
umutesmer-sp
lvl.1

United Kingdom

There are for classes for flight and model plane/toy RC sections. Does Phantom 3 require a license even if unpopulated areas?
2016-7-7
Use props
COberschneider
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

yes, you do require a license if you use the camera for recording videos or photos. in case you're just using the camera to navigate the phantom, then you don't need to get a license. at least that's what the official guidelines state. ;)
2016-7-7
Use props
umutesmer-sp
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you. Well, point of dji photography is to take pix/video, so that certainly is a bummer. I'm going to Wolfgangsee area, and was hoping to capture great pix.
2016-7-7
Use props
COberschneider
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

umutesmer-sp Posted at 2016-7-7 10:36
Thank you. Well, point of dji photography is to take pix/video, so that certainly is a bummer. I'm g ...

Wolfgangsee is beautiful!
Just some additional thoughts to my last post: it's nearly impossible to tell whether you're using the camera for navigation or for filming / photography from the distance, and the SD card can easily be formatted in case someone's getting too interested. And as long as you're not flying over densely populated areas or a crowd of people, nobody cares...
2016-7-7
Use props
umutesmer-sp
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Many thanks, that certainly helps.
2016-7-7
Use props
drjphat
New

United States

A couple clarifying questions:
1) Even though the pilot may not need a license, does the drone need to be registered?  If so, where/how?
2) If one wanted to go ahead and get a license just to be safe, would it be possible to get a license as a US citizen?  If so, how?

I'm traveling to Schladming in February, 2017 and would love to bring my DJI Phantom 3 along!
2016-12-19
Use props
COberschneider
Second Officer
  • >>>
Austria

drjphat Posted at 2016-12-19 18:11
A couple clarifying questions:
1) Even though the pilot may not need a license, does the drone need to be registered?  If so, where/how?
2) If one wanted to go ahead and get a license just to be safe, would it be possible to get a license as a US citizen?  If so, how?

here's the email contact from Austro Control: uLFZ.Mailbox@austrocontrol.at
2016-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules