Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Fly Away
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scottish Phanto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7116 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all
Well,, the unthinkable happened to me while i was fly my P3S.. although I dont know why ... I was quite happily Flying my drone and taking some really nice video.. when I decided That id got the shot I was wanting, so I pushed the return to Home button ( and that was when my nightmare started) The drone suddenly turned away from me and started heading away at high speed, I wasnt quick enough to cancel the return to home or cut the power because I was in such a Panic. So before long the Drone was gone and out of site, I was devistated it had lost all contact with the controller and the app froze saying no signal.. But after the initial shock of the events that unfolded.. I looked up the app to see what had just happened. When I was reveiwing the flight I saw that when I pressed the return to home the original home position disapeared and the drone took off un beknowns to me it was heading for a home position that was about a mile away that I had never set seeing that it was beside a Motorway, so the drone spent the night in a forest, I couldnt possibly reach at that time of the day, So what im asking here is why did the Home point move without ever being set, is this a comon thing or what?
So I eventually got my drone back soaking wet and the battery had been knocked out of the drone altogether and the camera and gimble were soaked as well... should I ask DJI to look into this for me because im still under warrenty... I just got this drone about a week ago to btw..  
2016-7-9
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

I don't have much experience with the standard but if it's anyway in how the phantom 2 line started up you might not have given it enough time to acurately st its home point.

Did you fly over that spot at some point and it got enough sats to make that it's home point and you just didn't realize it??

Also I would suggest never using RTH except in an emergency, I've been flying for about 2 years and have never even used that function, I take off myself, land myself, and bring it back myself. Things are less likely to go wrong if it's totally under your control.
2016-7-9
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Did you make sure the home point was actually set before you took off?
2016-7-9
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Before every flight, make sure that the Home Point and RTH height are properly set. If you don't verify these two settings, all bets are off.  
2016-7-9
Use props
guns&cameras
lvl.2

United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-7-9 13:26
Before every flight, make sure that the Home Point and RTH height are properly set. If you don't ver ...

This. I always  wait till that sexy voice tells me that my "home point has been established" before I even take off...
2016-7-9
Use props
Scottish Phanto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hey Guys,
Thanks for replying, Ive had a few flights before this one and i always set the Home point and the RTH height which is always set at 30m... so tbh I just dont know what happened
2016-7-9
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

There have been a few reports of the same thing happening with standards.  I'm not sure what is going on.  Did you have a maximum height restriction set or a maximum distance restriction set?  I think the other cases did have this set, and when they did a RTH a home point outside the restriction was set.  I'm sure DJI are already aware of this but I don't know if they have done anything about it or investigated the claims.  There have been enough of these cases in the same circumstances on the forum to indicate it is a problem and not pilot error.  I suggest you sync the flight record and ask DJI to investigate the logs and advise you in relation to a warranty.  Being able to retrieve the aircraft is a bonus in this investigation as you will also be able to retrieve the flight data from the aircraft in support of your claim.
2016-7-9
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Sync logs to the cloud, contact dji.
Knowing where the new home was set, go there, search for the drone.
If u also upload your log to healthydrones (free phone healthydrones app and a free account) - maybe someone here can help to figure it out.
I think more than not, this kind of thread comes from P3S, although there was a handful of flyaways on Adv and Pro....
I really do not even want to imagine the feeling! Hope you find it, and get a warranty replacement from DJI (as I would assume damage with an unattended landing)....
Good luck man!
2016-7-9
Use props
Scottish Phanto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

endotherm Posted at 2016-7-9 19:48
There have been a few reports of the same thing happening with standards.  I'm not sure what is goin ...

Hi Endotherm,

Well I did retrieve the drone today at the other Home point PHEW!!!, and as i said in my original post it was in a bit of a state. When I brought it home I managed to dry it off as well as I could, even steeped the Camera and Gimble in rice to draw any water and moisture away, The battery even charged to full and turned off so I think I was a bit lucky with the Battery at least. So the problem I have now is that the P3 will turn on and go through its checks and sits with red lights on the front and flashing green on the back, but the app is still asking to connect the dji even tho its is connected to the wifi, but when i click camera its just a blank screen and it says no signal, there is also a red light on the controller.
But as I said im a bit new to this and I never understood what you meant about "syncing to the cloud" ? or even how I would do this, and retrieving the flight data from the aircraft, could you maybe explain this in a bit more detail for me please, as I say Im a 4 day old pilot...
2016-7-9
Use props
Scottish Phanto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-9 19:52
Sync logs to the cloud, contact dji.
Knowing where the new home was set, go there, search for the dr ...

Hi Phantomski..

Sry but the reply I sent to Endotherm was kinda answering you to lol .. but I really do respect all you guys for helping me out here ..
2016-7-9
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Scottish Phanto Posted at 2016-7-9 13:59
Hi Phantomski..

Sry but the reply I sent to Endotherm was kinda answering you to lol .. but I rea ...

No problem man! We just all want to help, not fight for attention.
So I would still suggest contacting DJI support - since it's a new aircraft, there's no need to keep a "questionable" aircraft... maybe they will replace it for you, a flyaway is a cause for alarm.
As for the GO app - assuming that is what you use, on the main screen, top left, there's an icon where you can see your flight logs. If you have a DJI account, which I assume you do, and DJI app is logged in under your name, once you click that icon and see the list of flights. Now there's a cloud icot at top right, press, tell it to sycn to cloud. ... Oh wait!!! How about pictures ;)
The bottom line - if you sync your flight records - DJI support can look at the flight logs. If they need logs from the aircraft they can walk you through a procedure to retrieve them.
As for HealthyDrones, same thing, you can sync using an app.. let me see what I can do here ;)

DJI app and HealthyDrones sync app

DJI app and HealthyDrones sync app

Go to flight logs

Go to flight logs

Sync your flight logs

Sync your flight logs

Sync in HealthyDrones

Sync in  HealthyDrones
2016-7-9
Use props
jayredone10
lvl.4
United States

Scottish Phanto Posted at 2016-7-10 03:52
Hi Endotherm,

Well I did retrieve the drone today at the other Home point PHEW!!!, and as i said  ...

You could try to relink the rc to the quad.
Don't know if it will help. Normally the quad will have yellow flashing leds not green if binding is faulty.
2016-7-9
Use props
Scottish Phanto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2016-7-9 21:11
No problem man! We just all want to help, not fight for attention.
So I would still suggest contac ...

WOW!!! what a fantastic piece of help this is.. I done what you said and it did show the drone changing modes and twice saying returning to home .. im deff gonna contact DJI tomorrow and let them know what happened.. but to be honest I think my drone is goosed when I run the app theres nothing showing up ,, no details about anything no picture, its as if the app only has a certain amount of things available.. but the Big red box at the top telling me that theres "No Signal" kinda tells me something inside the drone is damaged.
But thank you very much at least I have something to show DJI if they ask.. Respect ..
2016-7-9
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

Keep us posted. I would not play much with powering on if I were you.. They may say you damaged it further..  See what the UK service center can do for you, and good luck! Keep us posted! If you have problems with support, the DJI folks here can help quite a bit, they often did to many people!
2016-7-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your issue, Scottish Phanto. Here is the contact information of our Europe service center and please sync the records as above and get in touch with our tech support: 联系欧洲.JPG
2016-7-10
Use props
Scottish Phanto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks DJI Plaladin

Ive already sent it off back to my supplier so I will see if they refund it or replace it... but if not I'll deff be on to DJI.. Thanks for the Info as well..
2016-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules