Can I use the P3P Esc center board to run model car?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jerryjonz
lvl.2

United States

I wish to install a P3P Esc Center board on my model car so I can use the video camera and remote control with the car.
Any idea if this will work?
Can't see any reason it wouldn't, but don't really know.
2016-7-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is not going to work unless you are an extremely talented electronic engineer. The ESC will not control the car properly as they are designed for a different control scenario.
2016-7-9
Use props
jerryjonz
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-9 18:42
It is not going to work unless you are an extremely talented electronic engineer. The ESC will not c ...

I plan to use only the left control handle.
Forward backwards for speed, left right for steering.
If the outputs are linear I should be able to adapt them properly.
I will let you know how it works if I go ahead with it.
2016-7-9
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

It's like reengineering a fridge to be a stove.. but I see why, u want to use the camera.. hmm.. I wonder if there are no other cameras to do this.. And do you mean use the whole camera with the gimbal or just the camera? Either way, I'd suggest building from scratch with another setup and a different camera...  Now, if u have a broken p3p and are looking to reuse the stuff.. well.. like Geebax said.. it is NOT designed for that... so making it work will be a lot of work, but should not be dangerous, as you are not in the air.
Good luck!
2016-7-9
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

You would need to rewrite the firmware so it knows it is turning vertical wheels and not horizontal props. You would also need to tell the firmware to always run the rear motors at the same speed or the car will be spinning in circles. Then somehow tell the firmware how to steer the front wheels without effecting the rear wheels speed. etc etc etc.
You can but an APM flight controller with all those functions out of the box for around $40. You could even add GPS and have a RTH car. Then add a lightweight three axis gimbal and a sport camera ,Go Pro or SJ400.
I have a three axis gimbal for sale cheap. Barely used. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyki ... r_and_Aircraft.html
2016-7-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jerryjonz Posted at 2016-7-10 12:38
I plan to use only the left control handle.
Forward backwards for speed, left right for steering.

The outputs are not linear and bear no resemblance to controlling a car. The outputs come from a processor array that is controlling the speed of the motors in order to contr the flight of a drone.
2016-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules