Brand new Phantom 3 Standard RC not charging
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
citivas
lvl.2

United States

I already own a Phantom 4 which hs been great.  One of my kids used their own money to buy a Phantom 3 Standard (tried to talk them out of it).

The intelligent battery charged just fine.  For the RC, they don't provide an actual power adapter for the charge, just a USB cable.  The instructions offer no guidance in how to connect it to a power source, so I presumed any standard phone wall adapter would do.  I first tried our iPad wall adapter.  Gave it 3 hours.  Then tried the iphone adapter and gave it more time.

In both cases what happens right from the start (with the power switch in the off position to the left) is the status ligth rapidly blinks red and green, very fast.  I couldn't find any description in the manual for that exact status -- there were various red or green but not rapidly toggling between them.  If you turn the power on (switch to the right) the status light goes to a solid red and the 4 light battery level indicator has only the first leftmost position toggling green-green-green then pause on green longer, then repeats that cycle.  And that's all it does after hours.  Light statuses never change and it never shows that the battery is advancing past the first charge position.

Both of the wall adapters work perfectly for other devices, as does the wall outlets (I tried a couple).

Any idea what these status lights mean, why it doesn't seem to be charging and what if anything I should do or try next?  This is brand new out of the box, never used.  I haven't even gotten as far as a firmware update since I wanted the RC charged first.  It was factory sealed new, not refurbished.
2016-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What does the Go app show you, for the RC charge level? Maybe it's already fully charged.
Under About in the Go app, which firmware and Go app versions are you running on your Standard?

RedHotPoker
2016-7-10
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

Nah, it was low charge.  It took 6 hours to fully charge but finally did.  It stayed on the first of 4 green dots for over 3 hours but finally advanced to the second then went faster.  That's versus the 2.5 hours it claims to take.  It seems to prefer the iphone wall adapter.
2016-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ok, that's good news, & awesome it finally caught up. Hahaha
Yes, these USB trickle charger-adapters are very slow. Read your manual, or watch YouTube for a relaxing wait. Ha
But the @DJI RC's all take much longer to charge than the intelligent flight battery packs do, so no real surprise to me.
That's partly why I bought a second 100w charger for my Phantom 3 Pro' flight kit. A real time saver.
It's nice to safely charge my RC and one or two flight battery packs, or two intelligent flight batteries at a time.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-10
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

We were not in a rush.  The issue was the manual offered no guidance on what voltage of wall adapter to use and specifically said to expected it to take 2.5 hours for the RC to fully charge.  So there was no reason to expect 6+ hours.
2016-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules