MicroSD Card won't stay in.
15953 26 2016-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scottrhoyt
lvl.1

Hey there. I bought my P4 about 1.5 months ago. It's been a flawless experience so far, but I wasn't happy with how often I needed to delete videoes from the stock 16GB memory card. So I bought a new 64 GB memory card. I clicked the old one out and went to put the new one in and it wouldn't lock into place. The spring would just kick the card back out. I thought maybe my card was defective since it was the first time plugging it in, but when I tried the old card, it wouldn't lock either. I tried the new card in another microSD device and it worked fine. I am afraid that my card slot is broken. Any help would be appreciated.
2016-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hopefully you didn't force the micro sd card into the drone rightside up. As they need to be inserted upside-down, for some unknown, mistaken reason. ;-)
If the internal catch has been buggered, it will have to be replaced. That's unfortunate, with some down time, if you have to send it in to @DJI for service.
Lucky for you from recent reports, turn around time has been vastly reduced. So expect a couple of weeks at the outside.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-10
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quick fix is a tooth pick and duct tape. Push the sd card into the slot then a piece of the tooth pick along the back rib (the part that sticks out from the gimble) and a small piece of duct tape to hold the tooth pick in place. This will keep the card in the slot far enough to record your vids and pics. Sound red neck for sure, but in a pinch, red neckishness can work.
2016-7-10
Use props
scottrhoyt
lvl.1

Thanks guys.

I didn't try forcing the card in upside down (right-side up?) at all. I honestly can't say that I did anything different than I've done with any of the other microSD equipped devices that I have. At no point did it feel like I was using unreasonable force. Is the slot really so fragile that I could have done something to it without realizing it? Or is it possible it was defective already?

Thanks for the quick fix, mjlstudios. I don't think I'll need to use it as I can spare a couple of weeks without my P4. But I guess that such a procedure exists is evidence that I'm not alone in having problems with the slot? I've never really run into any memory card slot problems on any of my devices.

I bought mine through Apple. Does anyone know what the return policy is on P4s bought at the Apple store? Is it the same 14 days as their hardware? I wonder if there is anything I can do there to avoid a more lengthy repair process.
2016-7-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Toothpicks and tape? ;-) yeah, NO!!

I would return and exchange it, for a brand new unit. Ah, rather than sending it back to repair it, if mine were acting up.
Doesn't seem right to be put out, after buying a brand new drone. Take it back and exchange that faulty unit.
Run don't walk... Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-7-10
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello scottrhoyt, I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support via support@dji.com and send it in for fixing. If you are living in the USA or Europe, the turn-around time is around 2 weeks.
2016-7-10
Use props
scottrhoyt
lvl.1

I will do that Paladin. Thank you!
2016-7-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

scottrhoyt Posted at 2016-7-12 02:40
I will do that Paladin. Thank you!

Sorry you are experiencing this, I see they asked for for info. When you supply the requested info they will issue you an RMA .
2016-7-11
Use props
cneufeld
New
United States

I am having the same problem. I have reached out to support. My Phantom 4 is less than four months old - Is this a warranty issue?  

Thanks you.
2016-8-10
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

cneufeld Posted at 2016-8-10 11:50
I am having the same problem. I have reached out to support. My Phantom 4 is less than four months o ...

I know you say you didnt try to insert the card right side up but some P3 pilots have done that since the P4 is opposite from the P3.
2016-8-10
Use props
Zonozi
lvl.1

United States

Any one have any luck without having to send in their Phantom? This just started happening to me after months or no problem.
(Yes, I inserted the SD card correctly)

2016-10-16
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>

Same problem as others yesterday, had good email service yesterday to get it sent back for repair, hopefully will get shipping label tomorrow.
2016-10-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

All of you are experiencing the micro sd card not locking in place, when fully inserted correctly, upside down?

Sounds like a small batch of faulty card readers. Hopefully it's not from inserting the sd card rightside up!!

RedHotPoker
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

Make sure you have it in the right side
2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

Also put your fingernail on the edge of the card and push it in as far as you can
2016-10-16
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

scottrhoyt Posted at 2016-7-10 17:06
Thanks guys.

I didn't try forcing the card in upside down (right-side up?) at all. I honestly can't ...

I have quite a few devices that use micro sd cards. My P4 is the only one that the card goes in with the contacts up.
2016-10-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PartsGuy Posted at 2016-10-17 10:33
I have quite a few devices that use micro sd cards. My P4 is the only one that the card goes in wi ...

The reason is the surface mount SD card slot is attached to the bottom of the PC board in the aircraft, nothing unusualy about that, not certainly not standard.
2016-10-16
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-16 18:42
All of you are experiencing the micro sd card not locking in place, when fully inserted correctly, u ...

Yes, I've always been very careful to insert it the right way and no problems until now. Kinda bummer to have P4 not available for such a small issue, but.....
2016-10-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

poppylfh-sp Posted at 2016-10-17 09:01
Yes, I've always been very careful to insert it the right way and no problems until now. Kinda bum ...

I certainly sympathise with you over this. Such a small insignificant component, yet all important on a camera platform...
Advise you all to send it in for repair, and not hesitate, waiting. The sooner you act, the faster it will be back in your firm grip. ;-)

If nothing more, you will have something swell to look forward to now. Good luck, I hope the turnaround is fast and no other problems occur...

RedHotPoker
2016-10-17
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I got great service to get P4 on the way to CA for repair as got shipping label and it's on the way. Hope it gets fixed quickly and on the way back.
2016-10-17
Use props
fans36bc1d05
New
France

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the same problem with my P3 4K.
Were all of your aircrafs under warranty ? I bought mine 14 months ago so I guess I'll have to pay if I send it back for repair.
Any idea how much could this cost ? They say on their website that if I don't want to repair it after they send me the quotation, they'll charge me 50 €/hour (hours spend to make the quotation ???) !
Many thanks in advance for your help,
Valcride

2017-9-27
Use props
1DJI
New
Flight distance : 47687 ft
United States

I have the same issue with my DJI Mavic Pro. It doesn't matter how far I push in the micro SD cards (I've tried several different brands), they won't snap into place. What's the solution? Is there one?
2020-12-2
Use props
djiuser_pg72TYXVeXBV
New

United States

My DJI Mini 3 Pro has the same problem. Cannot insert SD card that will stay in. Happened with two cards. Bought drone from Amazon that tell me I cannot return drone. Just bought it July 26, 2023.
John Peet   jlpeet123@gmail.com

2023-8-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_pg72TYXVeXBV Posted at 8-2 06:09
My DJI Mini 3 Pro has the same problem. Cannot insert SD card that will stay in. Happened with two cards. Bought drone from Amazon that tell me I cannot return drone. Just bought it July 26, 2023.
John Peet

Hi there. Sorry for the trouble. Are you inserting the SD card into the SD card slot with the gold contact pins facing up? Is it possible for you to show us a video? You can save it to your Google Drive or YouTube then paste the link here. We will wait for your reply. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-2
Use props
conquistador
lvl.1
Flight distance : 386093 ft
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 8-2 19:31
Hi there. Sorry for the trouble. Are you inserting the SD card into the SD card slot with the gold contact pins facing up? Is it possible for you to show us a video? You can save it to your Google Drive or YouTube then paste the link here. We will wait for your reply. Have a great day ahead.

...having the same problem with my RC-2 controller that came with the air 3. tried to insert a sd card for the first time today and it wouldn't stay in the slot...
2023-8-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

conquistador Posted at 8-31 07:59
...having the same problem with my RC-2 controller that came with the air 3. tried to insert a sd card for the first time today and it wouldn't stay in the slot...

Hello there. Sorry about the inconvenience. Can you please show us a video for further checking? I appreciate your patience.
2023-8-31
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

They can be tricky, try your fingernail on the end of the card. Push it in with your nail, slowly and softly. Doesn't take much.
2023-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules