New Phantom 3 Standard cannot establish RC connection
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
citivas
lvl.2

United States

Other than the firmware update beining glitchy on the Phantom 4 when I first got it at release it's been a dream to use.  So far the 3 Standard has been a hot mess.

It took 6 hours for the RC to charge.  We also did a firmware update of everything.

Then we took it out to a field we used for the first Phantom 4 flights because it's flat, open, has no interference, etc.  The first surprise is it wanted us to then go to all the trouble of registering the product before letting us use the DJI Go app, out where we had no internet connection (on purpose).  So we had to go back and do that.  Then to the field again.

And try as we might, we could never get it to lock on an RC connection.  It would for a few second at a time but quickly go back to red and say no RC connection.  This was standing a few feet from it in an open field a mile from anything.  We power cycled everything a few times with no result -- it could get a lock for only a couple seconds at a time.

Gave up and brought out my 4 and it worked instantly and flawlessly -- no signal issues.

Any suggestions?  We're on the latest firmware already.
2016-7-10
Use props
mfojas430
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23835 ft

After an update, mine wouldn't connect at all. I did a relink, and that fixed it.
2016-7-10
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, do you mean the RC will only keep signal with the drone for a few seconds?  During these few seconds, can you control the drone?(Start rotors, move gimbal, etc)   Have you calibrated everything, and then  try other locations also?

Did you buy it from a dealer? If so, you can ask the the seller for a quick exchange. Or you can contact support@dji.com and we'd love to help you. Thank you.
2016-7-10
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

Brought it home, checked for firmware again (but had done an upgrade before the first flight).  Tried it in our backyard, which is still next to a field and open, flat space but I don't like it as much because there are typical wi-fi signals from 9 home internets in the area whereas the first field was not near anyone.  This time after a bit of no RC signal it got one long enough to start the motors and go into a hover about 8 feet high and 10 feet away from us.  It would occasionally flash No RC connection but recover.  But the video was useless.  It cycled between actually displaying video but with about a 10 second lag, to having frozen video to the screen going bacl and saying no video signal.  And that was with it right in front of us.

Tried a third location and same result as the second.  Intermittent no RC even when right in front of it, but enough to hover (didn't feel safe flying further with the intermittent RC loss and bad video) and useless video feed.

I live in an area I would describe as borderline rural / vey sparse suburb.  If I am getting this much signal issues here, where can this safety be flown?  Or is this not typical?  Again, it was factory sealed in the box and has the latest firmware so not really sure what else I can do.  If the issue is location then we may as well return it because it's hard to imagine even having a use for it if it requires even less populated than where we are to use it.  My son's camp just did a drone camp a couple weeks ago and used the same field for their class (but we were the only ones there when we tested the Standard).  People has Parrots and all kinds of other models, no issue.  I have flown my 4 at all these locations we tested the Standard with no issue.

Anything else I can try?

Purchased at Target, BTW.  And it was the last one in stock, according to their online inventory system, and any of the nearest 12 locations and they say they have no ETA to restock them.  So if the hardware is bad we certainly can return it but it seems like we can't replace it, so either we'll just move on or try and Parrot (again, this is for my son -- I still have a 4 for myself).
2016-7-11
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

My suggestion would be the same as mfojas430  above.....try to relink your RC to your aircraft   Maybe there isn't a good handshaking between the two and you need to establish a better connection by going through the re-linking procedure.
2016-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules