Paint your Drone...
9859 27 2016-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Interested in seeing what could be done in the way of customization, I was impressed by a few of these.
Nice custom painted Phantoms...

RedHotPoker

2016-7-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

It looks cool
2016-7-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I personally love the first example, with the sharpie rotor blade art work.
The flourescent green example is also quite striking. I would imagine, especially when flown under a black light. ;-)

It's impressive, how creative RC Hobbiests can become, to personalize a favorite model.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-11
Use props
Big Poppa 45
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7799 ft
United States

Nice.... Now so many ideas are running through my mind. I will probably buy an extra shell and paint that, then keep the original as a back up. Thanks for posting
2017-1-14
Use props
Untheory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58045 ft
France

That's nice but maybe painting the propellers would unbalance them ? But in the the videos below, it seems okay so... why not
2017-1-14
Use props
ems12a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 555863 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does the paint on the props effect performance in any way?

Other wise very cool
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Big Poppa 45 Posted at 2017-1-14 02:49
Nice.... Now so many ideas are running through my mind. I will probably buy an extra shell and paint that, then keep the original as a back up. Thanks for posting

Yes, customized, personalized, specialized. There are a lot of interesting and creative drones out there.
Whether you put your own touch on a drone with paint, or buy a fancy wrap to dress it up,  we can make it unique and different.
There are certainly innumerable choices to choose. ;-)
https://gatorprints.com/shop/dec ... carbon-fiber-metal/
https://gatorprints.com/shop/dec ... al-space-mech-gray/

RedHotPoker

2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Untheory Posted at 2017-1-14 08:03
That's nice but maybe painting the propellers would unbalance them ? But in the the videos below, it seems okay so... why not

To be sure, You can still balance your props and weigh them after, if you want to know. ;-)
A lot of people here have already used RIT Dye for prop colours.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ems12a@gmail.co Posted at 2017-1-14 08:08
Does the paint on the props effect performance in any way?

No, I don't think a thin coat of paint, or getting dipped in hot dye would bother a rotor props ultimate performance.
The angle of the blades doesn't change, only the surface of the material.  They still cut through the air at the same speed.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
Untheory
lvl.2
France

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 10:21
To be sure, You can still balance your props and weigh them after, if you want to know. ;-)
A lot of people here have already used RIT Dye for prop colours.

Thanks, good to know !
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Untheory Posted at 2017-1-14 10:32
Thanks, good to know !

Yes, the same way props can be balanced with clear nail polish, could certainly be done with a paint brush. Using your fabourite colours.

What did you have in mind? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
Untheory
lvl.2
France

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 10:38
Yes, the same way props can be balanced with clear nail polish, could certainly be done with a paint brush. Using your fabourite colours.

What did you have in mind? ;-)

I just forgot that it was actually possible to rebalance ahah
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Untheory Posted at 2017-1-14 11:37
I just forgot that it was actually possible to rebalance ahah

Yes, that's what forums are also very good at. Reminding us to think. Haha

Sure of course you can always rebalance an unbalanced prop, scale, or life for that matter.
I'm a libran, so being in total balance is important to me.
Actually Our astrological horoscope symbol is the scales of justice ( honor). Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 10:27
No, I don't think a thin coat of paint, or getting dipped in hot dye would bother a rotor props ultimate performance.
The angle of the blades doesn't change, only the surface of the material.  They still cut through the air at the same speed.

Prior to owning DJI products I had painted another drone I owned and it added a significant amount of weight to the ac - some 40 grams or so - had more of an affect that I thought it would. Then again, I'm talking about something much smaller, nowhere near as advanced, and much less weight - Really can't compare the two products fairly, but a noticeable difference possibly worth mentioning. I'd just be careful,  but I am also a nut now who has a hard time placing a sticker on my drone if it didn't come with it. Lol. Happy painting... I mean flying! (;
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-1-14 12:51
Prior to owning DJI products I had painted another drone I owned and it added a significant amount of weight to the ac - some 40 grams or so - had more of an affect that I thought it would. Then again, I'm talking about something much smaller, nowhere near as advanced, and much less weight - Really can't compare the two products fairly, but a noticeable difference possibly worth mentioning. I'd just be careful,  but I am also a nut now who has a hard time placing a sticker on my drone if it didn't come with it. Lol. Happy painting... I mean flying! (;

Adam, What about those plastic fiber wraps, they weigh more than RIT dye surely?

What kind of paint were you using, a model paint, spray on?

RedHotPoker

2017-1-14
Use props
Big Poppa 45
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 10:14
Yes, customized, personalized, specialized. There are a lot of interesting and creative drones out there.
Whether you put your own touch on a drone with paint, or buy a fancy wrap to dress it up,  we can make it unique and different.
There are certainly innumerable choices to choose. ;-)

Thank you and I appreciate the links. Although the wraps look cool and #2 looks really bad ass, I will be going with the painting technique to add my own flavor...
2017-1-14
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 13:03
Adam, What about those plastic fiber wraps, they weigh more than RIT dye surely?

What kind of paint were you using, a model paint, spray on?

I used to have a wrap on my P3P and RC but I have since removed even those. Well, actually, that one was replaced and now I just won't put anything on it. Not sure how much they weighed but here's a picture of what it looked like:

With the one I painted I used a spray type of primer and paint that I got at the autostore. It should also be noted that the AC was mostly a styrofoam type of material so I think it really soaked it up. Was basically useless after, haha.
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Big Poppa 45 Posted at 2017-1-14 13:25
Thank you and I appreciate the links. Although the wraps look cool and #2 looks really bad ass, I will be going with the painting technique to add my own flavor...

That would be cool. Hey, I like your forum avatar too. Thanks, and good luck.

Please present your masterpiece to the judgement committee for prize considerations. Haha

I hope that you are completely successful in your customization endeavor. Looking forward. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-1-14 13:28
I used to have a wrap on my P3P and RC but I have since removed even those. Well, actually, that one was replaced and now I just won't put anything on it. Not sure how much they weighed but here's a picture of what it looked like:

https://instagram.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/11909138_942526102498743_1633486364_n.jpg[/img]

Adam, I like it. Looked good. Too bad they aren't as easy to remove as when first you apply them.
I would like to have a wrap, or two, but can't decide between several that appeal most to me.
I think my favourite one by far, is the green leaf one from Weeds. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
Big Poppa 45
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 13:31
That would be cool. Hey, I like your forum avatar too. Thanks, and good luck.

I will be sure to do that, to start I am going to be picking up some dye and bring some life to my rotor set. Pictures forthcoming....
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Big Poppa 45 Posted at 2017-1-14 13:49
I will be sure to do that, to start I am going to be picking up some dye and bring some life to my rotor set. Pictures forthcoming....

Yes, look for RIT dye, specifically, as it's been "highly" recommended by many drone pilots here and on several other popular RC forums... Haha

Get it hot before dipping them props. ;-)
Thanks for sharing your unique creation, when done. Appreciate seeing others use their imagination.

Please post some of your drone pics here too, thanks. ;-)
http://forum.dji.com/thread-75848-1-2.html

RedHotPoker

2017-1-14
Use props
mike1957
lvl.1
United States

20210124_133727_resized.jpg
2021-2-3
Use props
mike1957
lvl.1
United States

Just painted mavic pro platinum
2021-2-3
Use props
mike1957
lvl.1
United States

2021-2-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome paint job.  
2021-2-4
Use props
fishdip.
lvl.2
United States

Would this void any warranty or replacement plan? I ask because I am looking at airbrushing my FAA number on.
2022-1-4
Use props
djiuser_ZpKlOKmOhB2x
New

United States

Can metallic paint affect range? It seems like ever since I painted my mavic minicopper it has much less video range.
2022-1-17
Use props
Troublesbrewin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142231 ft
United States

I would think that painting a Mini2 would likely put it over the 250 gram weight, so you would need to have the FAA sUAS license part 107 .
2022-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules