Osmo Stops Recording at 29:25 although Battery is still good.
2011 13 2016-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info
lvl.1

United States

I updated my Osmo yesterday to firmware v1.6.2.10 and my Android app to v2.8.2 and ran some tests. I'm happy to report that one of my batteries now lasts for 56 minutes of recording time and the other lasts 62 minutes when I have the fan turned off. Thank you DJI!

My problem however, is that the Osmo stops recording at 29:25 no matter which battery I use.
I have to hit the record button again to record another 29:25. Is that normal?

Is there a workaround? Since one of my batteries now lasts over an hour, how can I record continuously for an hour without watching and waiting for the Osmo to stop recording every 29 minutes and 25 seconds?

Thanks so much,
Dan
2016-7-12
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

"...Single video recordings in high temperatures are capped at 30 minutes to ensure video quality."

.... is the dji explanation.
2016-7-12
Use props
rodAndTheCat
lvl.4

New Zealand

Hi Dan,
as Len says, DJI state it is to protect from overheating. Actually I think it is to do with FAT32 format. I have another camera that does exactly this and the manufacturer clearly states that fat 32 is limited to 4gb continuous recording- guess what- 30 mins!.
The only work round is to stop at a suitable breakpoint then restart-  A continuous shoot of 30 mins is a very long shoot anyway- but I guess needed for stage work or sports events.

hope this helps clarify the issue.
Rod and the cat
2016-7-12
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-7-12 23:17
Hi Dan,
as Len says, DJI state it is to protect from overheating. Actually I think it is to do with  ...

"...I think it is to do with FAT32 format...."

A lot of 'stills' cameras with a video recording capability (e.g. Canon 5D3) are limited to a maximum 29mins 59 seconds per clip. This mean that they can be imported as 'still' cameras and attract lower import duties. Over 29mins 50secs and it's regarded as a 'video' camera.

Just an observation.
2016-7-13
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dan,

The other thing that I forgot to mention -- although you may have figured this out in your tests -- is that, regardless of how long you can run it for,  you're going to lose just under 2 seconds of video/audio every 6 minutes or so (depends on recording specifics) every time the camera begins recording to a new file on the SD card.

So, you're going to need some b-roll if you want to cover the video gaps, and you'll need to record sound on an external device (recorder, 2nd camera) if you don't want any gaps in the audio.
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, Dan, it's normal. It's because of Fat32's limit.
2016-7-13
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-13 11:19
Hi, Dan, it's normal. It's because of Fat32's limit.

And yet the firmware release document says:

"...Single video recordings in high temperatures are capped at 30 minutes to ensure video quality..."

(Although, apparently, this wasn't the case before the latest update.)

And other DJI-XXX people say it's to ensure that there's no over-heating.
2016-7-13
Use props
info
lvl.1

United States

Thanks everyone.

Why does the Osmo lose about 2 seconds in 1080p every nine minutes or so when it automatically stops recording and then starts a new clip? Is there a fix or hack available?

My other video cameras don't lose any seconds or even frames when it starts a new clip after reaching the 4GB file size limit.

Thank you.
2016-7-13
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

info@moonlightv Posted at 2016-7-13 21:02
Thanks everyone.

Why does the Osmo lose about 2 seconds in 1080p every nine minutes or so when it a ...

The last time we discussed it, the dji person didn't sound too confident in developing a solution any time soon.

It's every 6 minutes when you video in 4K.
2016-7-13
Use props
info
lvl.1

United States

Darn.

Thanks.
2016-7-13
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-7-13 15:30
And yet the firmware release document says:

"...Single video recordings in high temperatures are c ...

It's DJI, great hardware, poor software.
You just have to put up with all the software and image failings if you want the stabilisation.
You can't compare DJI with proper camera companies in terms of software and IQ.
2016-7-14
Use props
ricardoghion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>

the DJI was telling the truth is so simple! this issue to shoot up to 29 minutes is a matter of taxes, to shoot more than 30 minutes is considered a camcorder and Europe taxes are a lot higher , so shooting up to 29 min and is considered a smaller range of taxes, simple ! just a matter of software.
2016-7-14
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Have you tried to format your SD with exFAT format?
2016-7-14
Use props
waxahachie tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47169 ft
United States

Having the same issue as everyone else. Trying to video a 1 hour concert, My videos were stopped at4.2GB, 1.33GB 4.2GB, 1.33GB. At the second service (concert-a repeat) I ticked off the "mute fan". No difference alternating between 4.2 and 1.33GBs. 22:22 and 07:03 in time at 1080 24 fps. Is anyone else having the alternating limits?
2018-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules