Geofencing enforced in Go app or in the firmware?
1210 11 2016-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1338891 ft
United States

Just wondering if the geofencing is handled via the firmware in the remote control and aircraft or in the dji go app?

Thanks for any suggestions.
2016-7-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

GEO is part in the app and part in the aircraft firmware.
2016-7-12
Use props
wes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1338891 ft
United States

Thank you for the quick answer.
2016-7-12
Use props
info913
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6260 ft
Switzerland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-12 13:45
GEO is part in the app and part in the aircraft firmware.

how are temporary NFZ implemented?

are they sent with an DJI GO update or sent "transparently" when connected to internet without the operator knowing it?

2017-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

info913 Posted at 2017-1-14 02:20
how are temporary NFZ implemented?

are they sent with an DJI GO update or sent "transparently" when connected to internet without the operator knowing it?

They can be done when there's an app update.
2017-1-14
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

just a wild guess: part in the app is fencing gps data. that part uses phone ram memory. part in the drone is sending back to controller (to the app) the gps position; the app estimates next position using the drone gps feedback and the motion vector (from predefined path or from controller inputs, mind you follow me would use app gps to estimate drone motion, while in active track the drone is completely autonomous and will need to send back the motion vector). the app oks the motion or holds the drone on hover.
2017-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-14 18:02
just a wild guess: part in the app is fencing gps data. that part uses phone ram memory. part in the drone is sending back to controller (to the app) the gps position; the app estimates next position using the drone gps feedback and the motion vector (from predefined path or from controller inputs, mind you follow me would use app gps to estimate drone motion, while in active track the drone is completely autonomous and will need to send back the motion vector). the app oks the motion or holds the drone on hover.

Not quite, the part of the code in the Go App is only concerned with message handling of the NFZ operation, the major part of the GEO is contained in the aircraft, it identifies where the aircraft is, it knows the NFZ locations and it stops the aircraft from venturing into the NFZ. The Go App has no part in enforcing the NFZ at all. This is why GEO fencing works with any third party app as well. And it is also why you cannot defeat it using a different app.
2017-1-14
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-14 18:41
Not quite, the part of the code in the Go App is only concerned with message handling of the NFZ operation, the major part of the GEO is contained in the aircraft, it identifies where the aircraft is, it knows the NFZ locations and it stops the aircraft from venturing into the NFZ. The Go App has no part in enforcing the NFZ at all. This is why GEO fencing works with any third party app as well. And it is also why you cannot defeat it using a different app.

that's interesting but counter intuitive. i expected the controller to stop the drone, by getting stop signal from the app. hence the name- controller. but you say the drone is flying the corral autonomously, while the app only relays the feedback to pilot.
but as of now, are there nfz loaded in my drone already? does she know where in the world she is and to stop if i fly it towards the airport? i would say no, and i was wrong before.
it means that the onboard computer has enough ram to store fencing data for a 3-mile radius. how many gps fencing points can she hold? four should be enough, but again, how many times was i wrong today?
2017-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-14 19:08
that's interesting but counter intuitive. i expected the controller to stop the drone, by getting stop signal from the app. hence the name- controller. but you say the drone is flying the corral autonomously, while the app only relays the feedback to pilot.
but as of now, are there nfz loaded in my drone already? does she know where in the world she is and to stop if i fly it towards the airport? i would say no, and i was wrong before.
it means that the onboard computer has enough ram to store fencing data for a 3-mile radius. how many gps fencing points can she hold? four should be enough, but again, how many times was i wrong today?

Yes, the NFZ data is loaded into the drone already. She does not need to know where in the world she is, because the NFZ data only needs to specify the geographic coordinates of the centre of the circle plus a figure for radius, not much data at all.  Given the amount of memory available in the aircraft, it could easily hold many thousands, especially if the GPS data is compressed.  

It has to be in the aircraft, because there is no storage in the RC controller to speak of and you can fly the aircraft without a phone or tablet connected anyway.
2017-1-14
Use props
info913
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-14 17:43
They can be done when there's an app update.

can you confirm that the file containing the geofencing information is not updated without the user knowing it?

What I mean is that I need to manually give the ok to update, it cannot happen without me knowing it.

There are people stating in another forum that without starting any update they got a NFZ implemented which prevented them to fly and then removed again the following day.
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

info913 Posted at 2017-1-15 01:17
can you confirm that the file containing the geofencing information is not updated without the user knowing it?

What I mean is that I need to manually give the ok to update, it cannot happen without me knowing it.

As GEO data is updated, it can be in the updated app.
You care free to turn off in the app but it will not stop the NFZ's from being updated.
2017-1-15
Use props
info913
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-15 16:35
As GEO data is updated, it can be in the updated app.
You care free to turn off in the app but it will not stop the NFZ's from being updated.

do I get a notice that the NFZ database has been updated?

Is it going to update if I am actually flying?

IF YES, what happen if I am flying in an area that will be set as a NFZ? Is the drone going to land immediately?
Can I fly back at the home point?

This could be very dangerous....
2017-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules