Continuous Auto Focus on video.
4803 7 2016-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richard
New

United States

I am shooting wake boarding video with my new inspire 1 pro.  I have been shooting these shots with my phantom 2 Vision+, then Phantom 3 pro, then Phantom 4.  All of which shoot very good sharp video for their respective cameras.  I decided to spend $4000+ on the Inspire 1 pro and 12 batteries.  I find it very easy to stay on target with the rider (good flight control), but the focus is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS!  (wake baording requires distances from 20' to 100' from the camera in seconds) I am Constantly re-focusing and every time i want to go from a close-up to a far shot, half my shot is not in focus   I hope there is a setting i am missing on my DJI go app, so it continuously focuses.

here are some of the vides ive shot with the smaller Quads.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPWhFe6kezkQ55zpNjW2UAA

2016-7-13
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Ironically all Phantom cameras are of fixed focus and extremely deep field, therefore the image is almost always sharp from - say - 10' to infinity. That's simply point-and-shot type camera. With much more advanced X5 camera, however, you must control focus as with any ...ehem, advanced camera. To my understanding you start shooting at the distance 20' from target, then take fast fly away to get wider perspective ... You may try to set the lens manually on just before infinity and experiment with higher ISO settings to get smaller aperture (deeper field of sharpness). That is the only way to avoid constant focus adjustment. Better jet, hire somebody to take care of video and go for 2-controller setup ...
2016-7-13
Use props
deltaevo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

dobmatt Posted at 2016-7-14 08:22
Ironically all Phantom cameras are of fixed focus and extremely deep field, therefore the image is a ...

Shoot with focus set to manual I set the lens at finity , then set an aperture around F5.6 to F8, you should find everything is in focus, you must disable the af in the lens switch to M. I shoot in manual all the time, as I had serious probes with the dji focus adjustment in the go app.
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Unfortunately the autofocus option does not refocus when dealing with a moving subject. Manual focus would be the best way do deal with that situation. If you do not have the Follow Focus accessory, you can use the C1 button with the gimbal wheel to adjust on the fly.
2016-7-15
Use props
jonhardison
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93120 ft
United States

Just got off the phone with a DJI rep who says engineering is working on continuous (follow) focus. It's a mirrorless camera so auto focus is clearly possible for stills and video. Touch focusing wouldn't work if it wasn't.
He did say it was an unofficial response to the focus question but still, that's some pretty great news.

I'm sending my new X5 back as it's apparent I won't be able to use it without another controller and person.
Not until this focus issue is addresses in some meaningful way.  :-(
2016-7-28
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

Try setting your focus to Manual and then set focus to infinity
2016-7-30
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.3
Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-7-14 15:22
Ironically all Phantom cameras are of fixed focus and extremely deep field, therefore the image is a ...

I agree and if you have the cash by the Follow Focus system that DJI sell, here in Australia it costs AU $3400, so you could fly then second controller controls camera pan and tilt and third person controls follow focus... now that I have said that out loud I think we will all need a bigger budget.lol
2016-7-30
Use props
VisionAir
lvl.3
Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-7-14 15:22

I agree and if you have the cash by the Follow Focus system that DJI sell, here in Australia it costs AU $3400, so you could fly then second controller controls camera pan and tilt and third person controls follow focus... now that I have said that out loud I think we will all need a bigger budget.lol
2016-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules