X5 auto exposure settings
2043 6 2016-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
srgale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93599 ft
United States

I'm having problems shooting night time RAW stills with my Zenmuse 5X.  First of all, when I put the camera in photo mode, the exposure starts toggling from dim to bright in EV increments.  Why is it doing that?  Second, I'm also getting very frustrated with the focus.  I can never seen to get it to come out crystal clear.  Any suggestions?

2016-7-17
Use props
mmassar64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176335 ft
United States

You really can not use auto on the X5 you have use manual settings so this does not happen. Everything needs to be manual mode for ISO Shutter speed and aperture as well.
2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Auto exposure mode tries to move all the values in order to find the appropriate exposure setting and is a dynamic function. For night time flying, manual mode would be the best course of action. In regards to focus, are you using the stock 15mm lens or a 3rd party lens? Have you done a focus calibration prior to flying? Are you trying to film at a very far distance from your subject, or is it a moderate distance?
2016-7-18
Use props
srgale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 93599 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-18 11:52
Auto exposure mode tries to move all the values in order to find the appropriate exposure setting an ...

I have the stock 15mm lens.  I did find that if I put everything in manual, it works much better for me.
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

srgale Posted at 2016-8-4 00:25
I have the stock 15mm lens.  I did find that if I put everything in manual, it works much better f ...

Manual tends to be best method. Auto tends to give you a place to start, but manual adjustments are preferred for fine tuning. Thank you for the update.
2016-8-3
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-18 10:52
Auto exposure mode tries to move all the values in order to find the appropriate exposure setting an ...

The manual for download  on the X5 downloads page tells you very little about the system.  Is there a better source of information other than the videos, I like to read instructions ?  Just wondering ...

thanks

donnie
2016-8-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-21 00:13
The manual for download  on the X5 downloads page tells you very little about the system.  Is ther ...

I would say the DJI Support Videos are a good source as well. Here is a video on the X5 that does dive into some additional basic camera setting tips if you have not seen it already:

2016-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules