1640 8 2016-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
user72caa16e74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18287 ft
French Polynesia

Hi,
Is it possible to restart engine during freefall ?
For example if a bird hit the drone at high altitude is there a way to save it by start motors again ?
In the P4 simulator it works... but I clearly don't want to try for real.
2016-7-15
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes it will work if you can start the motors before it hits the ground! Take into account that after the motors restarts that you will have to accelerate fast enough to stop the freefall and this will eat up a lot of altitude to do so. Give it a try with your Phantom. Be sure to have your phantom camera running and have someone film the action from the ground.
2016-7-15
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Not sure how realistic the simulator is to reality but....

If you practice it in the simulator enough, you will be FAR faster at responding to it if it happens....in fact, you won't even have to think about it.  You'll just do it......fast   ;-)
2016-7-15
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

I just seen a couple of videos on this and it's not always possible what happens is the Phantom while falling Falls in a position where the sensors won't enable it to start the motors they usually fall sideways or upside down
2016-7-15
Use props
Elbarto
lvl.2
French Polynesia

Thank you for your messages, ok.
mjlstudios, I'll still do it in the simulator and if I have to do it for real I'll do. Thanks a lot
2016-7-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Elbarto Posted at 2016-7-16 05:22
Thank you for your messages, ok.
mjlstudios, I'll still do it in the simulator and if I have to do  ...

Yes, they will restart in the air but I doubt it would recover and go back to level flight before it hit the ground.
Try in the simulator, you need to be about 200-300ft to recover.
Don't know what the real word height would be.
Let us know if it works
2016-7-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What billwish76 says is true, it will not restart properly and if it is tumbling you probably will have communication problems. More importanly, if it fell due to a birdstrike, then there is most likely damage to the props, so it will not recover from that anyway.
2016-7-15
Use props
El_barto
lvl.2
French Polynesia

I experiment a bird strike last week.
During the flight I saw the drone moving strangely and when I took off I saw something like blood on props and drone.
Then somebody told me he saw few birds attacking the drone.
Thanks DJI to make motors still running after impact because I was over the lagoon...
2016-10-11
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

Argentina

I definitely have NO desire  to test THAT in real life....I don't give 2 hoots in a henhouse what you can do with the simulator.
2016-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules