o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

GMacD Posted at 2015-3-22 08:14
See Update above.

Regards

Yep I had read this too, Guy.  After trying it, flipping the switch 4 times between OFF and CL, it worked whether on the ground or hovering. I assumed it was a bug glitch that hadn't be worked out and if it works as is.... then it works. Is the infor above part of the new firmware update? I haven't uploaded the latest firmware as many have had major issues/crashes with it.

Thanks for the clarification.
2015-3-22
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-9-29 11:25
I own 3 Phantoms, 2 P2's and one P2+.  I have never had a flyaway or control problem on any of them. ...

Hi Ed, Great points in your post to be overly cautious and pay extra attention to during preflight to prevent or minimize flyaways. I have to take exception to one point, concerning the high tension transmission wires. We should avoid them I agree, however, I accidently flew through two sets on a failed waypoint mission and back through them to bring it home when I realized this was not my mission. The craft flew in a controlled manner  both manually and autonomously as it passed between the wires after taking control and bringing it back in. My observation tells me that the gps assisted gyros were working properly in that electromagnetic field. Anyone agree with this observation? Peace
2015-4-19
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-3-18 09:11
Sure. The Phantom will automatically set a Home Point. After you power up watch the green lights in  ...

Can you tell us if you are giving us this procedure for NAZA mode or DJI mode or if it is the same procedure for both? Thanks  Peace.
2015-4-19
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

neil.printmaxx Posted at 2015-4-19 22:19
Hi Ed, Great points in your post to be overly cautious and pay extra attention to during preflight ...

I have powerlines near me that I sometimes fly near. Not all powerlines are created equal, but I am not a powerline expert, so I can't tell which ones will cause problems and which ones won't.

If I want to fly to the south I have to fly over them.

I never fly under them or though them only over. These lines hum and crackle in the morning and on humid days. You can hear them when you walk under them. I would just be very careful around them. It doesn't have to be the GPS or a sensor that is affected. It could be any other part of the birds electronics or another single component that could adversively impact your flight.

2015-4-19
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

The sight of a Tower terrifies me now...I still haven't flown since the close call...I have to get back out and do testing of manually insertion of waypoints to try to track down what went wrong with that mission...on a much smaller scale and nowhere near any power lines. Wish me luck...lol...peace
2015-4-20
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

mark@twistedtec Posted at 2014-10-25 20:09
my 2nd flight was a flyaway in an open park.  I did not remember to check the number of GPS satellit ...

while it is true your quad did fly away from you that first flight, as did mine by the way, that is not a fly away.  that's drifting in atti  and not being aware of orientation etc.

that is us messing up and not knowing what we do now!   lol

a fly away is a quad actually not responding to control and or suddenly and critically falling or heading away at power ( just some examples).

2015-4-20
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

neil.printmaxx Posted at 2015-4-19 22:23
Can you tell us if you are giving us this procedure for NAZA mode or DJI mode or if it is the same ...

I'm in NAZA mode. Not sure if it works for both.
2015-4-21
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

Question for GMacD, in the quote you posted concerning resetting the home point while flying, It says to hover before using the switch...I was wondering if you could reset the homepoint while and during a mission in the app. Lets say a mission was set up with 3 waypoints in a straight line, the Phantom makes it almost to the last waypoint, you now want a new homepoint near the last waypoint you are about to fly to. Would it be possible to pause the mission somehow and hover the platform, set the new homepoint and continue the automated mission to the preset 3rd waypoint , and expect it to land at the new homepoint that you set while flying? Thanks in advance....Peace
2015-4-21
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

if in doubt, please reread your phantom manual. You are saying stuff really mixed up here.  for example:

1) the first set of green lights flashing fast on power up is NOT home point being set, it is CL being set.  LATER the second set is Home position being set.  there is NO fast flashing set for gps being above 6.  

2) WRONG:
To reset the Home Point while powered up or flying:
1) Fly the Phantom to a place where you would like the new home point to be.
2) Let it hover at the new spot
3) Flip your S2 switch down to the middle position (CL) and back to the up position (Off) 4 times fast.
NOTE: Be sure you don't accidentally flip it all the way down to the lowest position (HL) or the reset won't work.
4) When the back green lights blink really fast for a couple seconds you've successfully set the new Home Point.
(Remember the S2 switch is the metal switch on the Top Left of the controller NOT one on the top right)

Please reread your manual.  this is how to reset CL to the present orientation of your unit.

RIGHT:
To reset the Home Point while powered up or flying:
1) Fly the Phantom to a place where you would like the new home point to be.
2) Let it hover at the new spot
3) Flip your S2 switch down to the middle position (CL) and DOWN TO THE BOTTOM THEN BACK TO MIDDLE 4-5 times fast.
(Remember the S2 switch is the metal switch on the Top Left of the controller NOT one on the top right)
flashing green from THIS is new home position set.

3)
Yep I had read this too, Guy.  After trying it, flipping the switch 4 times between OFF and CL, it worked whether on the ground or hovering. I assumed it was a bug glitch

no glitch, just resetting CL as manual says.
2015-4-21
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

ok sounds good
2015-4-21
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-22 15:23
Hello fhagan02

Your post regarding resetting home point is causing angst (see yorlik's post above) ...

Ahhhhh. Noted. Thanks yorlik and Yug for correcting me. I'll correct my post above.
2015-4-24
Use props
westland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3484 ft
United States

There is no doubt that DJI has flyaway problems.  Some of the fixes here may be the cause, but the Tx/Rx link is a problem as well, and I think a bigger one than with commercial products such as Futaba, Spektrum and JR receivers.   When I first got my Phantom, I naturally set an RTL failsafe, and found it was regularly kicking in, even right after I had launched.   The flyaway problem is widely discussed for the DJI's and the problem is that they haven't developed their Tx/Rx hardware and software sufficiently (note that they are competing with companies that have been in the business for decades).  I solved mine by swapping the Tx/Rx with a Futaba 8J and 6 channel Rx.  Not one flyaway since.  This should be a basic mode right after any DJI purchase.
2015-5-9
Use props
trevor
New

Canada

Myname is Trevor, I had contacted DJI support last summer when I was havingissues with my _*NEW*_ Phantom 2. During flight sometimes it would start to flyerratic, not able to keep it under control with the remote and slowly fall outof the sky. I did all the updates to the software but was still having theissue.  After contacting DJI support  I was told I would need to have video of thedrone, the controller and the instruments on the smart phone during this issue.Due to this issue not having any rhyme or reason it has been very difficult tocatch it on video. After every time my drone fell out of the sky it always had1 broken prop. I was never sure if the prop broke during flight causing it tocome down or if the prop broke when it hit the ground. The last time this issuehappened and it crashed, none of the props where broken leading me to believethere is another causing this drone to come down. Now when I try to fly, 2 orthe props hesitate before spinning up to idle, and the other 2 props just rockback and forth but never complete a revolution. I brought the drone to theretailer I bought it from as they advertise they repair the drones aswell. Whenthey see what happens when it powers up they will not even look at it. Theytell me to contact DJI as it is over their heads. I contacted DJI and explainedthe problem and referenced my original complaint months before and they stillstand by their repair procedure of “make sure you have the latestfirmware", ya thanks tips!  Judgingby all the threads on the forums I’m not holding my breath for them to doanything for me to look into this problem. I ask if they have every heard of,or seen this issue before and if they could point me in some direction to help troubleshootthe issue, they said they have never heard this before  are were not at all interested in helping mefly again. Pretty useless I'd say. I wish I would have did more reseach aboutthe company (DJI) first because judging by the threads on many of the forumstons of people are experiencing issues similar to mine and not too many peopleare impressed with the support from DJI, or lack of.
Has anyone had anyfeedback on the Walkera H500 or any other similar caliber drone? I think before I sink anymoremoney into DJI I’m gonna jump ship.
2015-6-10
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

As I sit here and read the post it is easy to see that some users haven't even read the manual. If you don't have one download it from DJI web site. The very first thing to do with a new quad or after a hard landings or crash is to go to the assist and re-calibrate the IMU then do the compass dance before take off after verifying you have satellite lock. Why do IMU . Here is why.
IMU( Inertial Measurement Unit = Accelerometer + gyroscope + compass)
Roll, Pitch and Yaw. Without almost any drift.
The IMU is an electronic sensor device that measures the velocity, orentation and gravational forces of the Quadcopter.
These measurements allow controlling electronics to calculate the required changes in the motor speeds.
It's a combination of 3 axis accelerometer and a 3  axis gyroscope and a 3 axis magnetometer (compass) for better Yaw control.
The accelerometer measures acceleration and also force and measured the downward gravity force. As it has 3 axis it can work out the orentation of the quad.
The gyroscope measures angular velocity, in other words rotational speed around the 3 Axis.
A magnetometer measures the direction and strength of the earths magnetic field. The sensor can then determine which way is north and south. The pole locations are then used as a reference with the Yaw angular velocity around the gyroscope to calculate a stable Yaw angle.
Without doing the IMU just go a head and expect a free fly a way.
If you don't know about the S1and S2 just don't fly. It's like not knowing how to ride a bike and just hopping on. Your going to crash.
With all the $$$$ involved in this sport do your homework and do your research. Learn to fly before you fly. Just good sense.Sorry for the rant but it's inexcusable for people to jump on DJI at anytime and they didn't even read the manual or take time to learn their craft before flying. Have a nicer day and READ....
2015-6-11
Use props
mdprejean
lvl.2

United States

I have had two flyaways and traced one back to pilot error and the second was probably pilot error. These are amazing machines for the money and I have no complaints.
2015-6-19
Use props
mstrtf.gmail
lvl.1

South Africa

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid336784

dji gives horrible answers to fly aways.. just oh we dont know why it happened. ive lost all faith in my phantom and wish i could get a refund

video
2016-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules