2449 24 2016-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iborsch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

So everyone here is facing the problem with low range and signal issues with phantom 3 standard/4k.
It is clear now that it is a software problem (FW) as there are some hacks to increase power of the RC wich seem to work and so on.
Today i had a simple test to make sure the problem really exists. I put my drone to the sky. Went to 150m away and 50m high and just waited and didnt touch any joystick or button.
During this experiment with a stationary drone it lost RC signal 6 times for just 6 minutes!
And guess what was the terrain? RIGHT! It was a field with nothing around in 2km.

So the question is:
1. Do we (owners of standart/4k) have to sell our standard/4k and get pro/adv?
2. OR there is some firmare upedted comig in several days? If yes - WHEN???

Answer please, DJI!
Thanks!
2016-7-16
Use props
cosmic308
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I agree with OP. Dji it's about time you made a statement on this. While it does not affect everyone I understand I think you at least owe it to your customers for some kind of official response.
2016-7-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

cosmic308 Posted at 2016-7-17 08:36
I agree with OP. Dji it's about time you made a statement on this. While it does not affect everyone ...

DJI do not make 'statements' on issues, never have, never will. And it is not an issue affecting all owners.
2016-7-16
Use props
cosmic308
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Like I said Geebax "while it does not affect everyone e" it still does affect a lot of people though. Personally It does not affect me but I understand how frustrated people must feel when they can't operate the products they have spent thier hard earned money on. As for saying "dji do not make statements on issues"... does that make it ok then? Or would you at least agree that people have the right to an official response?
2016-7-16
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

cosmic308 Posted at 2016-7-16 17:50
Like I said Geebax "while it does not affect everyone e" it still does affect a lot of people though ...

Thousands of units sold and a couple dozen complaints here in the forums. Pretty much shows it isnt affecting everyone. Not even close. Still, I hope you find a rssolution to your issues.
2016-7-16
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-17 08:56
DJI do not make 'statements' on issues, never have, never will. And it is not an issue affecting a ...

Post #42 in the link below suggests that it likely is an issue for many users. The letter is from DJI Support to an owner acknowledging that the range of CE Standard was decreased. http://forum.dji.com/thread-56271-2-1.html
2016-7-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-7-17 12:13
Post #42 in the link below suggests that it likely is an issue for many users. The letter is from  ...

Yeah, that was largely refuted by other DJI people a while later in that and other threads. While I don't say that DJI staying silent on issues is a good thing, it is standard practice all over the world. No-one with any brains admits there is an issue with a product, not with all those litigant-hungry yanks out there ready to sue their arse off.
2016-7-16
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-17 15:44
Yeah, that was largely refuted by other DJI people a while later in that and other threads. While I ...

I haven't seen any post that refutes what the DJI Support person wrote in that letter/email. It clearly stated that the Standard range had been reduced. What I have seen is DJI media folk in these threads denying (or, generally, simply ignoring) claims by users that their range has been reduced but that particular email was purportedly from an actual DJI support person who acknowledged that there was a reduction in range on the CE/Standard model. I have no doubt that a similar reduction was made in the Advanced and Professional models but it's not DJI's policy to ever tell us the truth about changes like that. Earlier this year, in response to range issues with the P3A/P, DJI-Paladin wrote " the latest firmware and output power don't have any reduction of the range because we use different technology to reach the long range......". When asked by several people to explain that statement, that section of the post was promptly removed with no explanation ever given. Is it any wonder that owners get upset with DJI's approach to issues?
2016-7-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-7-17 15:56
I haven't seen any post that refutes what the DJI Support person wrote in that letter/email. It cl ...

OK, believe what you like, but DJI-Ken later said it was not true. Besides, that statement came from the service centre in Germany, not the Chinese factory. You are grasping at straws to prove your view.
2016-7-16
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-17 16:08
OK, believe what you like, but DJI-Ken later said it was not true. Besides, that statement came fro ...

I'll take the word of a service centre rep as they generally tell it the way it is and are less likely to be bound by marketing directives.  I'm sure that the online DJI folk in these threads are well intentioned but I also have no doubt that they are not fully aware of the details of firmware changes. They can only repeat what they're told whereas the support folk would likely have far more accurate and detailed information available to them. What I really take note of, though, is the large number of experienced DJI owners who have found that their range has been magically reduced after upgrading their firmware. Whilst some reported issues are clearly user error or misunderstanding, there are far too many range discrepancies being reported by very experienced users and they appear to have all mysteriously occurred after upgrading the firmware/software. I doubt it's just a coincidence.   In most cases, when they report it they're conveniently told by the online reps that their product needs repair or, worse still, they're shown a link to a YouTube video telling them how to position their antennas. For owners who have had DJI  products for several years, being shown that video link must be somewhat insulting.
DJI brought the mistrust upon themselves by releasing several versions of firmware or software whilst failing to declare that it contained significant changes which would affect owners. It's no wonder that owners become very suspicious of any new updates. Release notes are meant to advise users of all changes which might impact them, not just the changes that DJI would like them to know about.

The disabling of third party batteries was a prime example. There was no question that DJI knew that many owners were using them because there had been many threads on the topic in theses and other forums yet DJI simply didn't mention it at all in the release notes. I doubt that its omission was accidental. There may well be good reasons for not wanting people to use those batteries (I, personally,  would never use them) but to simply disable them with no mention in the release notes and without any option for users to make their own decision left many customers with hundreds of dollars worth of unusable batteries and helped build the mistrust in the company.
I love my P3A but when it ultimately comes time to upgrade or replace that device, my decision will be based not just on the available products themselves but also on the reputation of the manufacturer and its supporting agencies.
DJI needs to regain owners' trust by being far more open and honest about what changes they have made in their various firmware and software updates.

2016-7-16
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

I have a p3s. Fw 1.6.8 mine flew great i got 1600 ft with it.i put a bew antenna had no sig. For tx. So i relinked bam all was well you have to cal imu relink tx and cal gimble. Especially after fw upate.
2016-7-16
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

JockC Posted at 2016-7-17 10:13
Post #42 in the link below suggests that it likely is an issue for many users. The letter is from  ...

http://Iv heard that and im in usa mine is fine
2016-7-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-7-17 16:20
I'll take the word of a service centre rep as they generally tell it the way it is and are less lik ...

An interesrting piece of extrapolation, the service centre people know better, yet they are well documented for recommending the most illigical and stupid solutions to users problems. Frankly, one DJI-Ken is worth a dozen German service centre people. He at least knows where to go to to get a correxct answer.
2016-7-17
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-18 08:36
An interesrting piece of extrapolation, the service centre people know better, yet they are well d ...

Yes, I do believe that the support folk are likely to have a better understanding of the technical side of things and that the online reps may not be privy to all the changes within any given firmware code. I'm not suggesting that all DJI reps in this thread are lying but I do believe that they might not be aware of the full extent of firmware changes so they can only advise what they've been told. If we are to believe the advice given in these threads then it seems that the range  problems being faced by these experienced pilots are all due to them not understanding how to aim their antennas (after years of experience, in some cases) and that the next likely cause is that they have all coincidently experienced a hardware failure and need to return their devices for servicing. It's strange how all these hardware failures seem to have occurred immediately after installing new firmware.
Many experienced Phantom pilots are complaining  about the same range problem after updating the firmware. The DJI reps can say what they like but those owners have real problems after updating the firmware and DJI has a history of not acknowledging any such issues. I believe that email from the DJI support person acknowledging that the Standard had its range reduced to 300-350m is authentic. I also believe that range of the P3A/P has been reduced.
2016-7-17
Use props
darrenphillips1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501913 ft
Australia

The range hasn't been reduced
I'm in Australia CE and as you will see range is at least 2.5 times more than the 500 m
The firmware may have caused the hardware issue but the end result is
It's a firmware issue
The wifi board in the aircraft needs
Replacement
Return your equipment for repair
And get back to enjoying your flying

image.png
2016-7-17
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

darrenphillips1 Posted at 2016-7-18 12:34
1. The range hasn't been reduced
2. ...The firmware may have caused the hardware issue but the end result is It's a firmware issue

1. I'm sure that the dozens of people who have complained of range loss after the firmware upgrade will be very relieved to hear that the problem is all in their imagination.2. Exactly. It's a firmware issue.

2016-7-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-7-18 09:46
Yes, I do believe that the support folk are likely to have a better understanding of the technical  ...

'I believe that email from the DJI support person acknowledging that the Standard had its range reduced to 300-350m is authentic.'

If you believe that, I have a large bridge I am willing to sell you. If you have any technical knowledge at all, you would know that the range issue, which appeared after a new firmware update, does not necessarily mean the range was deliberately reduced. Most technical ignoramouses think it has to mean a reduction in transmission power, but it can be caused by any number of other software gliches that result in loss of signal.

DJI do not make announcements, but they do have people assigned to interface with people on these forums, and those people are able to ask the factory about issues raised here, and as a result of the uninformed speculation around transmitter power reduction, they did ask and were told that the power had NOT been reduced.

However for some reason you prefer to believe that some service centre person in Germany is to be believed over and abovre the people representing DJI on this forum.
2016-7-18
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-18 18:43
'However for some reason you prefer to believe...'

What I believe is my opinion just as your opinion is only an opinion. What you can't ignore is the countless number of posters complaining of range issues after upgrading. More threads were started today on this same issue. Given the number of complaints, DJI must have some idea of what the cause is. Rather than simply creating a new thread acknowledging  that the upgrade may have caused issues for some owners and outlining how they intend to resolve it, DJI instead chooses to respond to each new complaint as though  it's the first time they've ever heard of it.

I don't own a Standard; mine is a P3A and whilst I too now get lost video signals where it used to be a solid signal (over many months), it doesn't bother me too much because I'm not a long distance thrill seeker.  What does bother  me is the overall approach taken by DJI in responding (or not responding) to their issues and that is what the OP of this thread appeared to be concerned about. Keeping customers in the dark is not the way to maintain happy customers in the longer term. Owners recognise that mistakes can be made and they would be much happier if DJI would simply admit to those mistakes rather than trying to conceal them.

I love my P3A and would love to see new and improved products from DJI but the company's attitude to its customers is not doing them any favours.
2016-7-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-7-18 18:48
What I believe is my opinion just as your opinion is only an opinion. What you can't ignore is the ...

And do you see me refuting that? Yes, there were lots of people reporting issues after an update, but it does not in itself prove anything. As I said in my previous post, any number of things can cause those symptoms, but there was a clear denial about tramsmission power being reduced. I cannot be bothered going through the pain of searching, as the search function on this forum is poor, but it was clearly denied.
2016-7-18
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

duplicate post - deleted
2016-7-18
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-18 19:05
there was a clear denial about tramsmission power being reduced. ...

I'm sure that will placate all the owners  who know that their range was affected after the upgrade. If it's not actual transmission power then DJI owes it to its customers to explain why they are getting transmission error messages after the upgrade. There is clearly a widespread issue. DJI has some great products but they need to accept that their long term success is not just about having a good product. They need to be more responsive and open about issues as and when they occur plus they need to ensure that release notes reflect all actual changes, good or bad.
2016-7-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-7-18 19:13
I'm sure that will placate all the owners  who know that their range was affected after the upgrade ...

Yeah, you hear this every single day on here. DJI do not make statements, they do not often explain things either, and they certainly don't admit to mistakes. I am not going to bother wasting my time explaining that all over again.

Understand that it is a Chinese culture, and very different to any western culture, But the truth is no-one else does it eirther. The yanks and their much vaunted Apple are just as bad at burying their head in the sand. Get used to it.
2016-7-18
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-19 08:51
and they certainly don't admit to mistakes ...

Then it follows that we are entitled to be very sceptical when they deny a problem exists.
Geebax Posted at 2016-7-17 15:44
that was largely refuted by other DJI people ...
2016-7-18
Use props
opendoor499
lvl.1

Australia

as if the advance doesn't have range distance, 5km my ass, lucky to get 2km and thats with perfect conditions all round.
2016-9-4
Use props
Go blue
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57605 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-16 21:44
Yeah, that was largely refuted by other DJI people a while later in that and other threads. While I don't say that DJI staying silent on issues is a good thing, it is standard practice all over the world. No-one with any brains admits there is an issue with a product, not with all those litigant-hungry yanks out there ready to sue their arse off.

what is a yank? Geebax
2020-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules