Can't play MP4 files.
34690 29 2016-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Redro
lvl.2
France

My apologies if this has been asked a 1000 times already.  I am having my first flights with my P4 - and can't play back the MP4 video files with Windows Media Player, which is very frustrating.  I get this message "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this, please?  I am dying to see my videos.  I am ending the video, before I power down the P4.  Thanks!!
2016-7-17
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>

If your computer is not relatively new or have enough RAM you may not be able to play 4K files. Try recording some video in 1080p and if you can view that you will have to upgrade or replace your computer, as I had to do.
2016-7-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Download VLC Media Player.
It will play just about anything
2016-7-17
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.3
Denmark

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
the very bedst play at allt time.
2016-7-17
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

Thanks for the tips, appreciate it.  I recorded it at 1080P and downloaded VLC.  It plays on VLC, but is very stuttery.  I guess my laptop is too slow.  I guess I will have to film at lower resolution.
2016-7-17
Use props
michael_judd
lvl.1

United States

First thing I would do is check in the video settings that it is set to shoot in MP4
2016-7-17
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

I get the same thing and it's not the speed of the computer because it mentions not having the right codic i have an icore3 with 6gb ram
2016-7-17
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>

billwish76 Posted at 2016-7-18 00:14
I get the same thing and it's not the speed of the computer because it mentions not having the right ...

I have one pc with the same specifications and 8 gB of ram and it can not play the 4K files. You really need one of the latest models. Currently I play/edit them on a i7 with 16 gB of Ram
2016-7-17
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

The problem is that even at 1080 it still just wont play.  "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
2016-7-17
Use props
Redro
lvl.2
France

I have tweaked it some more and all seems to be working OK now!  Thanks for the suggestions!
2016-7-17
Use props
cjay84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

Redro Posted at 2016-7-17 12:26
The problem is that even at 1080 it still just wont play.  "Windows Media Player cannot play the fil ...

I never did get win 7 to play the video either. I did download the VLC and it plays it fine.
2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Redro Posted at 2016-7-18 02:51
I have tweaked it some more and all seems to be working OK now!  Thanks for the suggestions!

Glad to hear that problem has been solved. In this case, the WMP doesn't have enough video decoders. And VLCplayer or PotPlayer would be recommended.
2016-7-17
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

The format and codec should be supported by Windows Media Player. If not, the reason maybe your WMP version is a little bit lower or your Windows system has some limitation. The easiest way is to download VLC as others said. There is another way is to re-encode Dji Phantom MP4 video to WMV for WMP with handbrake and you can compress the 4k to 1080p for it, too.
2016-8-5
Use props
fansfbd82212
Banned

Japan

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-1-20
Use props
Dara Clark
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-5
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

Just found a solution for you: http://www.video-solution-centra ... ndows-media-player/
2017-5-10
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

From Windows Media Player’s Wiki page, we get the information that Windows Media Player 12 adds native support for H.264 and MPEG-4 part 2 video formats. For people who have upgraded your PC operating system to Windows 10, you can even get HEVC/H.265 played on Windows Media Player 12. Therefore, for Windows 10 users, you will get no problem to play DJI Phatom 4 H.264/H.265 with Windows Media Player 12 on computer that meet the hardware standards to handle 4K resolution video.
2017-6-21
Use props
Philisamalo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 199465 ft
Thailand

If I may suggest something.  I have been using VLC media player and had some good and some bad moments with it.  I changed for the better, for what I am concerned, and opted for PotPlayer ( https://potplayer.daum.net/ ) and I must say I am very happy with it.  You can read the review from Techradar here : http://www.techradar.com/reviews/potplayer
2017-7-17
Use props
fansff2005a3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45253 ft
Mauritius

Hi There, I have a similar issue.

Just bought my spark. bought a brand new SD card with it (the one recommended by DJI), formatted it, all good. I did my first few flights and everything worked very well, however some mp4 files from my flights that I moved from the SD card to my PC wont play. I tried media player, vlc player, itunes etc and it just wont play. the video is 13 mins long and about 2GB. these type of lengh videos worked fine before, for some reason out of my last 4 videos however, two wont play. I tried a workaround by downloading  it to my phone first and then to the laptop. that worked for one of the videos. the video I am struggling with now wont even download from the SD card onto my phone. it loads all the way to 100% and then says "cant be stored here". I have an i7 core so that shouldn't be the problem. It wont even be recognized on my adobe premiere plus or editing.

can anyone help?

thanks a mil.
a
2017-8-27
Use props
brianjordanhapp
New

Australia

iDealshare VideoGo can directly play MP4 on Windows or convert MP4 to Windows more supported AVI, WMV, MPG etc.
You may get it from https://www.idealshare.net/video ... dia-player-mp4.html
2018-8-1
Use props
Brae
lvl.1

United States

My system is Windows 10. i5, 16gb physical ram, 19gb virtual, 1TB Solid State HD....

I play video with VLC regularly but DJI videos dont play for me.. I need a solution if someone has one...
2020-6-2
Use props
Brae
lvl.1

United States

Update:  I lowered the output to 1080p at 60fps and it behaved the same way as with 4k.  Now this makes me feel like it's some other problem, not the resolution being too heavy for my machine.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!
2020-6-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Brae Posted at 6-4 21:18
Update:  I lowered the output to 1080p at 60fps and it behaved the same way as with 4k.  Now this makes me feel like it's some other problem, not the resolution being too heavy for my machine.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

Make sure you are recording using the H264 codec, not the H265 one.
2020-6-4
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

well hate to suggest this as it's by no means the ideal solution but you could use handbrake to run the clip through to the same or a different format.
In the past I have received mp3 files that wouldn't read. Ran them through the handbrake (actually the output was also mp3) and they worked.
2020-6-5
Use props
Brae
lvl.1

United States

I have been encoding a large batch of videos to do exactly what you suggested but i've been using Adobe Premiere.  It is taking FOREVER!  Which i partially understand since it's such high quality footage... but i paused the encoding and opened a couple of the finished files and it's still not playing.  (this is unexpected because I know this method works.. or at least worked as recently as yesterday.

I am so frustrated!
I am checking the codec right now. But i believe I have set it to h264
2020-6-5
Use props
Brae
lvl.1

United States

Just to update anyone struggling with this issue, I switched the Mavic 2 Pro's output to MOV instead of MP4 and i can now play these files.  (the videos I was able to play were 120fps at a lower resolution.  I will try to shoot some 4k video and see if it works.

Excited!  finally!
2020-6-7
Use props
djiuser_xFCod8sMkyfD
New

United States

Im running Windows 7 Home. 16gb ram and a i7-7700k 4.2ghz processor. I cannot play some videos off the MA2. I'm not sure which videos it was, i'm assuming the 4k resolution ones. Anyway i can check what is not compatible? VLC wont play it either. I get this error
2020-6-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_xFCod8sMkyfD Posted at 6-12 20:33
Im running Windows 7 Home. 16gb ram and a i7-7700k 4.2ghz processor. I cannot play some videos off the MA2. I'm not sure which videos it was, i'm assuming the 4k resolution ones. Anyway i can check what is not compatible? VLC wont play it either. I get this error[view_image]

What version is your VLC?
Is it 3.0 or above?

If all else fails, use H.264 video compression rather than H.265 (if the Air 2 gives you that option.
2020-6-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mariaalopez Posted at 8-25 23:16
A few days back this same issue happened to me also. Even after trying a lot, I wasn’t able to open and play my favorite MP4 file. After that, I started searching on Google for the best solutions to repair MP4 video file. Then, finally, I found a very useful post that describes how to fix corrupted/damaged MP4 video files manually as well automatically. Cheers…
Link of that helpful article: http://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/fix-damaged-corrupted-mp4-video-files

SPAM reported.
2020-8-26
Use props
hombrepajaro
New
Flight distance : 82743 ft
United States

Was having the same issue playing video, downloaded VLC player and it worked. Also, discovered that when I moved a file to Google Drive it played the video on a different computer that I hadn't downloaded VLC and this same computer would not play the video when I tried to play it straight off the SD card.
2023-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules