An Editorial: Let's Help DJI Be A Better Company
2949 25 2015-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
josephbobowicz.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I am sharing the below Editorial commentary written by Andy Pargh who is a member of the Aerial Photography Group on Facebook that I am an Admin of along with Tim Samanchi. Andy shared it within our Group and is reaching out to get the attention of DJI. In experiencing first hand many of the issues Andy mentions in his commentary I am supporting his efforts which are fair requests to DJI. If you have or are having problems with your DJI Phantom please continue to read on. Andy states in his opening statement "If you don't like opinionated pieces, simply don't read further". In my opinion his Editorial commentary is certainly worth reading, the choice is yours. With luck this post will catch the attention of DJI's Management Team. To all members of this Forum that read Andy's Editorial commentary below feel free to share your personal experiences in purchasing DJI products in comments below.

Below is Andy Pargh's Editorial commentary:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The following is an Editorial commentary regarding DJI. If you don't like opinionated pieces, simply don't read further. We all have the right to an opinion and I'm just taking a few moments to exercise mine. I'll add, that I'm posting this in select FB group areas (I contacted the Mod on this site prior to posting this letter) and I'll apologize in advance if this appears as duplicate posts in your feed. With that said, here goes:

We've learned learned a lot by being customers of DJI. I use the word "customers" loosely as that word denotes a two-sided method of treatment. So, maybe the term "buyers of DJI products" is more suitable.

I've only been flying copters for a year or so, but I have a long history in reviewing consumer products. Yeah, really. I've been called the Godfather of the modern tech blog by some and while I don't know if I truly believe that designation, let's roll with it and just say I've been around the block a few times when it comes to evaluating new products and services...mostly in the tech arena.

I'm also one of those flyers who prefers using the term "copter" as the media has made the word "drone" a four letter word in our society. My reasoning? The masses look at drones as Military devices that carry weapons, are used as surveillance tools or those that incorporate sophisticated mapping technologies to navigate foreign countries. While a few of DJI's copters use Ground Control, it's a far stretch than what I hope we would find in a true Military drone.

I'll attempt to sum up my thoughts in a single paragraph:

DJI, please stop releasing products that are not ready for prime time. Yes, it's nice to be the first to market, but it's better to be the best in class. If you don't believe me, just look at Apple as it could be a perfect case study for your future product entries. And trust me, Apple doesn't always get it right, but they sure are beating the pants off other companies when it comes to product quality and customer service and support.

What sparked me to share my thoughts is that I'm getting very tired of being a DJI customer and being the equivalent of a test dummy for its products. Yes, I like DJI products, but let's face it, they are rushing copters out of the factory before proper testing and are using its paying customer base as beta users.

I've gotten to the point where I have decided that when it comes to my copters, if it ain't broke, I don't attempt to fix it as it seems that while every firmware upgrade may deliver a fix or two, it opens the door for yet another bug. Yes, I enjoy flying and aerial photography. I'm not attempting to make a commercial business out of it and I'm happy to stay on the recreational side of things as I find it challenging and it keeps my brain from going to mush during my early retirement years. It pains me that while on one hand, it's good for DJI to deliver forced upgrades on its copters, I sure wish they would properly test the upgrades before forcing us to accept them.

To the fine folks at DJI, if you are reading this, please understand that we are people...real people. People with families, people with Dogs, people who work hard for our money to hand over to you for copters that may or may not be ready for consumer usage. We don't want to be involved in accidents involving devices with spinning blades that could harm others. We simply want copters that do exactly what's promoted.

I'll add one more note to DJI:

When you come to the realization that a promised feature does not work as designed and promoted, just removing that feature from your website is not the cure. Having people we can communicate with in our native language (not yours) would be a much better way to go.
Yes, DJI, you're becoming a worldwide company and you are growing at light speed. But please understand that being first does not make you the best. If you don't get your act together soon, your most loyal fans and "customers" will jump at the opportunity to hand our money to other companies that will soon be occupying your space in the marketplace.

If you treat us respectfully, we will do the same for you.

Rant Over. Feel free to like this opinion, share it, delete it or to simply flame me. After all, it's just my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
^^ End of Any Pargh's Editorial commentary ^^

If you are still reading and serious about Aerial Photography and Aerial Cinematography you are more than welcome to join our Group. It is a great place to share your work as well as pickup and share tips and techniques. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aerialphotovideo/

2015-1-25
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I do agree with a lot from this editorial, especially about the lack of communication with the customers. However, all copters from all brands have their share of problems, not just DJI products.

And nowadays almost all companies use their buyers as beta testers. Microsoft with windows, all car manufactures ets... Even if I do not like this method, we will have to except this caus it's not going to change. They would probably need 1000 + phantoms to test out within at least 6 months to evaluate any arising problems, then some more time to fix and then test again. A never ending story.
2015-1-25
Use props
perdidoflyer
lvl.2

United States

I as well, agree with a lot of what is stated here. I must say that, as an owner of a P2V+ V2 (purchased in October), I have had no issues at all, and Phantom has been forgiving to me for a couple of "tilt-overs" etc, with no consequences. Shortly after I began flying my Phantom, I learned of the "V3", and felt disaffected. I did install the static shielded compass, purchased the RC with the camera thumbwheel, and am flying the 9450 props...all is well, and I now feel fortunate to have what I have.

As someone with 40 years of machinery, manufacturing, and controls experience, I have a sense of what happened here, in the P2V+ V3 saga, as it sounds as though it involves possible assembly errors at the factory (wrong motor/esc combination), possible change in/multiple suppliers of motors and/or esc's to DJI, as well as owners/dealers in the aftermarket seeking to upgrade motors/esc's in the field. This is confirmed in a DJI publication that accompanies "upgrade kits" wherein there is one combination of motor and esc that is not compatible.

I hope that DJI straightens this out, in that my V2 does represent a truly impressive product. From my perspective, esc's should be permanently labeled/marked, rather than using paper labels that may or not be permanent. Ideally, motors and esc's should be a matched set, with only a plug connector to Phantom, thus no soldering, no issues with routing of wires, etc, in the field, when replacement is necessary.
2015-1-25
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

Editorials like this really only give us a list of problems as seen through the eyes of one person. That in itself makes it kind of useless.

If DJI wants to be a better company, all they need to do is watch the few top DJI related forums on the Internet. That along with the support requests they are receiving will give them a good overall picture of what needs to be fixed.
2015-1-25
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Ok I will start simple apple sucks so that part was blown over    But in the end you are pointing out an all around problem in alot of companies. Dji has some real problems that I am sure in the long run will hurt sales Unless they step up with working with their customers. My issue was actually simple they sold me a unit with the wrong parts all I wanted is the correct parts shipped to me, they refused thats really just one customer done no big deal. But heck I cant say how many new cars I went through that were crap how many cell phones crap by the way the cell phone crap was apple   I waited over a month to mess with my phantom reading every issue out there and yes there are alot of issue's that's how I found that my unit had the wrong parts in it so it cost me an extra 80 bucks and a half hour to simply fix it myself. We as customers have to be more on the alert and be prepared for items that are like this one to really do our homework cause if not we'll be in this position all the time.
2015-1-25
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

no! what would get their attention is a class action lawsuit! case closed. Just my opinion too! a friend of mine just updated his software(3.6) and RC Assist to 1.2 and took it out and flew it and it crashed!!  
2015-1-25
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

To assume that DJI doesn't know all this stuff seems like the height of.....assumption!
And...we all know what "assume" mean, right? In English it means make an "ass" out of "u" and "me" (a play on words).....

DJI is making what I call "experimental" aircraft. If other companies could really do it better and deliver more value - whether in customer service or in the actual goods - then they would be doing so.

My first IBM PC...cost $5000+ and when I turned it on I had to tell it the date and the time. It didn't know even that much. Oh, at the time IBM had been in business a couple decades.

I guess my opinion and advice is as simple as this. Buy the products which you feel offer the best value to you. Period. Don't tell corporations what to do.....unless they either ask or you are a stockholder.

Just my humble opinion.
2015-1-25
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

Don't tell corporations what to do.....unless they either ask or you are a stockholder.

Or, maybe better said like -- don't expect corporations to do what you request unless they either ask or you are a stockholder. Some people will always tell them what to do
2015-1-25
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-26 07:44
Or, maybe better said like -- don't expect corporations to do what you request unless they either  ...

How about asking corporations to install the correct parts with their correct versions?
2015-1-25
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-26 07:44
Or, maybe better said like -- don't expect corporations to do what you request unless they either  ...

I have not seen you reply to any other issues people are posting shame on you for only caring enough to reply on a remark someone makes on what to do in your corporation when you have people having issues that can get you sued when someone gets hurt and it shows up in court your product is built with non conforming parts as stated from your website.
2015-1-25
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-1-26 08:17
I have not seen you reply to any other issues people are posting shame on you for only caring enou ...

Huh? That makes absolutely no sense.

I was simply agreeing that you cannot tell corporations what to do unless you own part of that corporation. You can surely recommend what they do though.
2015-1-25
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-26 08:21
Huh? That makes absolutely no sense.

I was simply agreeing that you cannot tell corporations what ...

My opoligie I have just been pissed that I have to pay to replace my esc's that were not the correct version. Your company owes me four esc's or 80 bucks. The thing that sucks is the issues from what I have seen are so simple to fix but yet they are not being fixed?
2015-1-25
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-1-26 08:38
My opoligie I have just been pissed that I have to pay to replace my esc's that were not the corre ...

I don't owe you anything. Perhaps DJI does though.
2015-1-25
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-26 08:42
I don't owe you anything. Perhaps DJI does though.

Yes dji does. You dont work for dji?
2015-1-25
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-1-26 08:49

Nope. I just like to fly Phantoms -- like you.
2015-1-25
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

Apparently not, if you look at the website it's not anything DJI would put up.  That's not meant to be offensive, just different styles.

2015-1-25
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

jeepinocala Posted at 2015-1-26 08:49

jeep take it down a notch. phantomhelp is not DJI.  DJI uses their logo.  To PhantomHelp's defence, I've seen him be rather helpful in this forum.

Since this is a thread based on an opinion piece the OP is encouraging opinions to be heard.

2015-1-25
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-26 09:46
jeep take it down a notch. phantomhelp is not DJI.  DJI uses their logo.  To PhantomHelp's defence ...

Yeah my bad I didn't know you could have a logo like that.
2015-1-25
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

No worries we're all passionate about our birds.  I think we all agree that DJI's customer interface is extremely poor.  Hopefully they'll continue to work on it.  As far as their recent mishmash of random parts in their versions it is causing alot of headaches.

Rules
•        Avatars that may be confused with public characters are not allowed.
•        Animated avatars are not allowed.
•        Use of the DJI logo in avatars is not allowed.
2015-1-25
Use props
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

Answering their emails and a more active forum participation would go a very long way in improving their reputation.

Regards

Guy MacDonald
2015-1-25
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

2015-1-26 13:22
Answering their emails and a more active forum participation would go a very long way in improving their reputation.
Regards
Guy MacDonald

QFT QFT QFT
2015-1-25
Use props
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

Hope you are not calling me a Queensland Fat Toad.

Regards

Guy MacDonald
2015-1-26
Use props
josephbobowicz.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

TomWolves Posted at 2015-1-26 06:06
no! what would get their attention is a class action lawsuit! case closed. Just my opinion too!  a ...

TomWolves - Speaking of class action lawsuits. Check out this post I put up several months ago within this forum. The post was directed at DJI Management in an effort to assist them in keeping purchasers of there products satisfied. I was not insinuating starting a class action in my post. I was trying to help DJI prevent someone from wanting to initiate one. At the time of the post there were serious issues going on. I was simply trying to get DJI's attention. It took a while for DJI to chime in within the thread. What is bothersome to me at this point is the amount of unanswered questions and issues that still exist in general with many of DJI's products. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 3Dviews&lang=en
2015-1-26
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

josephbobowicz, why not email DJI support if you have unanswered questions? That's what I do. And, they've always answered them.
2015-1-26
Use props
josephbobowicz.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-1-26 19:37
josephbobowicz, why not email DJI support if you have unanswered questions? That's what I do. And, t ...

PhantomHelp - I am glad to hear you have had success in dealing with DJI in regards to having your questions answered by DJI. When it comes to one of my Phantoms that happens to be a P2V+ V2 I had serious GPS issues that I addressed myself with a few modifications. That bird now has over 250 flights on it and performs flawlessly.  I have several friends that had the same problem that decided to contact DJI support for assistance. I live in the UK the advice my friends were given by DJI in Europe was to either try and fix it themselves or send there Phantoms in for service. I would rather not go into my background when it comes to RC aircraft. In short I have over three decades of experience. When it comes to DJI in my opionion DJI is going through major growing pains. In the end a significant amount not all of there customers are experiencing those pains. Personally I think it is ridiculous that if someone drops a significant amount of money on a DJI product that they are told by the support staff "try and fix it yourself". A complete novice in not knowing what they are doing in opening up there bird could potentially create a dangerous aircraft to safely operate. It is not unreasonable to expect to have a product function properly out of the box. I am a member of several groups that conservatively consist of over 15,000 members. The truth is in the numbers of issues being reported. In remaining patient I would imagine things will only get better when it comes to DJI in moving forward. Once again I am glad to hear you have had pleasant experiences in dealing with DJI.
2015-1-26
Use props
josephbobowicz.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DJI MANAGEMENT: Why has the 3.10 version of the P2V+ Main Controller Firmware reverted back to: "Latest version 3.08"? It defies logic in my mind to "Upgrade" to a previous version. I have updated my Main Controller Firmware to v3.10 and also have updated the firmware to my camera. If I update by downgrading to version 3.08 will that effect my cameras performance in using the latest version of the cameras firmware? See below screen capture regarding the latest version of the Main Controller it is apparently a downgrade to the previous version.
   WTF.jpg

2015-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules