Osmo X5 autofocus could be improved
3198 18 2016-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Finding it difficult to focus on Osmo X5. AF could be improved.
2016-7-19
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank for your feedback, we're aware of this issue, and we're working on it.
2016-7-20
Use props
user7826eb0de8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 282310 ft
  • >>>
France

When will be this update to solve this autofocus problem  ?  I plan to buy an x5 but will not buy till this problem is not solved
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

user7826eb0de8 Posted at 2016-9-13 15:40
When will be this update to solve this autofocus problem  ?  I plan to buy an x5 but will not buy ti ...

Very soon. It will be in the coming firmware update
2016-9-12
Use props
user7826eb0de8
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Autofocus will be automatic in next update ?
2016-9-13
Use props
ric-ziegel
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-13 09:55

Autofocus will be automatic in next update ? will it be in one week, 2 weeks, more ? I need please to know because i ned to buy very soon one new camera and i would like to buy the x5.
2016-9-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

user7826eb0de8 Posted at 2016-9-13 05:40
Autofocus will be automatic in next update ?

not sure about autofocus, peak focus will be.
2016-9-14
Use props
ric-ziegel
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-14 11:45
not sure about autofocus, peak focus will be.

Could you please explain to me how peak focus will help ? Will i have to correct the focus in every moment of the video by using the screen and DJI Go to be in focus or will it make by itself ? Thanks
2016-9-14
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>

did this update ever happen, im not sure if i should buy this x5 because im seeing reviews about how hard it is to focus manually
2016-10-11
Use props
G8HmEK3yihv7
New
United States

Troubleshooter Posted at 2016-10-11 02:46
did this update ever happen, im not sure if i should buy this x5 because im seeing reviews about how ...

The autofocus is still pretty spotty, plus they haven't added continuous autofocus yet. They keep saying all these things are coming, but won't tell us at all when to expect them.
2016-10-12
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>

even with the focus wheel?
2016-10-13
Use props
Marc Salama
lvl.1
France

Hi, i'm an osmo pro (X5) owner, who bought it after trying the X3 which autofocus pretty well. I have been pretty much deceived by the Dji Go app with X5, Big auto focus problem... There's none ! i had to tap the screen continually to set the focus. Bad news when you want to move the caméra isn't it ? As a tech journalist in France for Sonovision/Mediakwest, online and paper magazine for professionnals, I am going to have report this bad news, knowing that the cheapest osmo works much better than the Osmo Pro (3 times the price) ! And I am going to send my model back to Dji, if i don't have a good news quickly before the spring big gathering in paris of camera professionals.
2017-3-31
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

This issue of auto focus has been on the forum on and off for a year. So there still be a long way to see X5 to be usable foe professional use. No point of buying it if it cannot do what it is supposed to do.
2017-3-31
Use props
usko
lvl.2
United States

Marc Salama Posted at 2017-3-31 03:38
Hi, i'm an osmo pro (X5) owner, who bought it after trying the X3 which autofocus pretty well. I have been pretty much deceived by the Dji Go app with X5, Big auto focus problem... There's none ! i had to tap the screen continually to set the focus. Bad news when you want to move the caméra isn't it ? As a tech journalist in France for Sonovision/Mediakwest, online and paper magazine for professionnals, I am going to have report this bad news, knowing that the cheapest osmo works much better than the Osmo Pro (3 times the price) ! And I am going to send my model back to Dji, if i don't have a good news quickly before the spring big gathering in paris of camera professionals.

The X3 and X5 are totally different animals. X3 is MUCH more suited for beginners. I have both. I agree that the X5 focus is abysmal. However there is a Hand Focus Wheel by DJI which I feel is absolutely necessary for professional results with the X5. The DOF on the Olympus and DJI lenses when shooting at large apertures is just too great to accurately nail with the phone focus.
2017-4-1
Use props
Marc Salama
lvl.1
France

It is not a question of beginner, i've been into caméras for the last 45 years, and i write on it for about the same time... I want autofocus to work. When you under pressure, on report, you don't want art, you want focus...
2017-4-3
Use props
Geruvah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24360 ft
United States

Personally, it would be great if it could do face tracking. A lot of cameras that are years old already do that as it is. Sony did this really good in 2014, where even if the subject moved out of frame and came back in, it focused on that face. Perfect for wedding videography.
2017-4-4
Use props
Blaky
New
Taiwan

X5 has major autofocus problem and also extremely loud fan noise that will effecting in your recording in sound, these problems will never solved for sure.  DJI customer service told me to go buy an external mic and hand wheel for the issue.  What the heck?
2017-4-7
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Mexico

For X5 users, I have found out that focus peaking is working. It works for both autofocus and manual focus. The version is 3.1.5(597). Now there is probably a good reason for a focus wheel. But at A$600 someone should be able to afford it.
2017-4-8
Use props
djiuser_FENBkjfjm7I6
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-12 23:55

Did the X5 ever get the autofocus update needed to work properly as im looking to buy 1 used ?
Regards John
2022-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules