5925 54 2015-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight

Android only: 4.2 and above in current release.

This version fixes all reported issues and adds a few additional features.  A thanks sent out to all the pilots helping to make this a high quality app for the Phantom Vision and Vision+.

Of particular note:

* Pre-flight check - the app reports good/warning/bad state at the start of each flight.  Information for satellite count, battery levels, home point location lock and distance, etc. are all checked against healthy values and show to the pilot

* .CSV file it created for each flight and stored in the Documents folder for later use. Replay offline flights, flight log are all features coming in future releases; this version now captures the data.

* Dynamic home point and a new method to set home point by pressing a location on the map.  The later may be of use when you are flying in an area where the best RTH point isn't where you are taking off from.  For example, flying from a boat you may prefer to set home point to a location on dry-land.

* Split screen - camera feed + satellite map on the main screen.

* Zero altitude calibration will calculate a 0 reference for altitude and use the offset for reporting values.  This is off by default but can be enabled using the app settings menu

* Speech support - app will speak out load warning and flight status information, no longer do you need to look at the screen constantly to tell how far, fast or high you are flying.  Many configuration options around these 2 facilities.

* Variable camera gimbal movement - move the control a little, camera moves slowly, move it more, camera moves faster.

* Full camera settings from fly-out menu but what this app does that others don't is to give you the option to save your settings for just the one flight or as the new camera defaults for all future flights.

* Flight timer and information reporting - kind of goes without saying I guess.
2015-1-25
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Thank you. Just downloaded it and installed. Going back out as soon as batteries finish charging.
2015-1-25
Use props
mark_turner6920
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1129 ft
United Kingdom

How do i get rid of the previous version or do I upgrade on top of it? Thanks
2015-1-25
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Ken,

New issue that I want the let you know about. I update my P2V+ camera frimware for 1.29 to 1.30g. If I use the Vision app the set the camera recording resolution to 1080p @ 25 fps then use your app the Video Recording Resolution is grayed out on your app. I can only re-enble it on your app by going back to the Vision app and setting the recording resolution to some other than 1080p @ 25 fps.  May be this was also like this but I don't know.
2015-1-25
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I downloaded the latest Release 2 ersion and on my Nexus5 with 4.4.4 the values just aren't persistent when set.  Home lock, spoken voice, etc, I set them go to the flight screen there are different. Go back set them, go back the flight screen some else is different.

My advice: write the values to a file, put a save bottom on every screen that has values that can be changes. I like the software but this version is not usable be cause of the random changes I can't get it to stay configured the way I want.
2015-1-25
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mark_turner6920 Posted at 2015-1-26 04:01
How do i get rid of the previous version or do I upgrade on top of it? Thanks

Mark, if you had the same app before it should upgrade in-place.  Nothing special to do.

Thanks for using it and let me know if you see any issues or have suggestions.

Ken
2015-1-25
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

Stupid question I'm sure... is this in the app store?
2015-1-25
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JATO Posted at 2015-1-26 04:32
Ken,

New issue that I want the let you know about. I update my P2V+ camera frimware for 1.29 to 1.3 ...

Thanks for the feedback.  I double checked and at this time the DJI SDJI does not include support for the value which may be why it is acting as it is; the app cannot show the value (as it is invalid in the current DJI SDK) and it can't be set to the value for the same reason.  I'll open a bug to DJI and hopefully they fix it with the next release.
2015-1-25
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JATO Posted at 2015-1-26 08:55
I downloaded the latest Release 2 ersion and on my Nexus5 with 4.4.4 the values just aren't persiste ...

Thanks for letting me know about this issue.  Interesting that it is happening since settings save/restore is all managed by the Android OS.  It should be automatic and is on my test devices but I'll investigate and see what I can find out as to why on your device is isn't working.

Question: is your device rooted?  Just covering bases to know what to look for or ask.

Thanks,
Ken
2015-1-25
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SavannahQuad Posted at 2015-1-26 11:34
Stupid question I'm sure... is this in the app store?

It will be once the RC is completed.  I'm working to fix the last few bugs before sending to the Play Store but the final resting place will be on the Play Store.  For now feel free to download from the website and give it a fly.
2015-1-25
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-26 11:42
It will be once the RC is completed.  I'm working to fix the last few bugs before sending to the P ...

Thanks, got it from the website.  Will test in the morning. looks great so far.
2015-1-25
Use props
mark_turner6920
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1129 ft
United Kingdom

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-26 11:21
Mark, if you had the same app before it should upgrade in-place.  Nothing special to do.

Thanks f ...

Thanks will download and try it out at next opportunity.  Am on lollipop too so be interesting. Thanks
2015-1-25
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JATO Posted at 2015-1-26 08:55
I downloaded the latest Release 2 ersion and on my Nexus5 with 4.4.4 the values just aren't persiste ...

A new version was just released.   I was able to locate a number of settings that where not marked to be saved and they have been fixed.  If you get a chance I'd be interested to see if the settings persistence is now working for your device.
2015-1-25
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

New version just uploaded.

Fix: If auto start video was enabled and you pressed the video button to stop video while in flight the video would restart immediately.  Video respects pilot control

Fix: A number of app settings where not being persisted; this has been fixed.

Change: Randomized calls for status from Phantom in order to spread out load on SDK in hopes of seeing fewer crashes inside the SDK

New: Added code to log exceptions to make investigation my myself and DJI easier.  When an exception occurs a log file will be written to the Documents folder under the "DJI_Ultimate_Flight" folder with the extension ".log".  These files should be emailed to ultimateflight@kenargo.com for diagnosis.
2015-1-25
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-26 11:40
Thanks for letting me know about this issue.  Interesting that it is happening since settings save ...

Ken,
Yes both my Nexus5 & Nexus7 are rooted, but I am happy to say Release 3 works on both, the values are now persistent.

The interesting thing about the 1080 25 fps is if I set it in the Vision app it stays set in your app which means I can still use that frame rate in your app. The other interesting thing on my system is the Vision app only show two FOV settings @ 1080p Wide and Narrow. Your software gives me the Wide, Med & Narrow FOV @ 1080p 60 & 30 fps which is a big plus!

The only other request I have and it is something you can think about because you may not like the idea or it may be difficult to implement is to be able to slide the Google Map display on & off with a fly out action.  The only reason I say that is screen real estate is a valuable. I like the Google Map feature but I don't need it all the time. If I could slide it off and the FPV screen was then rescaled bigger that would be awesome.

Overall I do think your software is ready!  Good job!
Do you have a price yet? If you don't want to talk about that here I understand.  Again good job Ken.
2015-1-26
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Interesting that you mention it but I do have the slider on the screen for the map but I am not happy with how it works from a usability perspective and have been investigating alternative designs.  On larger screens I believe I have a good solution (since the map never really needs to go away) but smaller screens are a challenge.  I will have something, a slider maybe or something better; I only need to decide which I like the best.

The slider is disabled at the moment; it was too easy to accidentally move the screen images but only because of the small screen and size of the slide control; I find it got in the way.

Price; I am thinking right around $10.  I want the cost to be appropriate for most people to be able to afford and help cover the cost of live map feeds, which google charges for if the app is heavily used.  It would be nice to have something in return for time, which is in the hundreds of hours so far but that isn't really in-play at the moment.

Do you feel that $10 would be unreasonable or a deterrent for people?  Interesting in hearing your opinion since you asked.

Ken
2015-1-26
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Seeing the benefits of the app and knowing its future of things still to come, I will be happy to pay $10 for it .
2015-1-26
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

When I compare the FPV screen with DJI´s, I seems more blurry (dizzy), why is that ?
2015-1-26
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BWJ Posted at 2015-1-27 02:44
When I compare the FPV screen with DJI´s, I seems more blurry (dizzy), why is that ?

The DJI Vision App is not using the SDK and apparently has a different and better implementation for live view.

Showing the live video feed is all under the covers and not exposed to me (the developer).  I have noticed that you can select a higher resolution and get a better image.  The live video feed is always transmitted as highest, there is no lesser resolution transmission mode in Android SDK (or if not DJI isn't exposing any method to control at that level).  They are reported to be coming out with an update to the SDK and ideally they fix some of these issues!
2015-1-26
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

It doesn't seem blurry to me. I would pay $9.99
2015-1-26
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JATO Posted at 2015-1-27 04:47
It doesn't seem blurry to me. I would pay $9.99

For you...
2015-1-26
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

ken, as you know from other dialogue, im looking at tablets and im new to android, your post says 4.2 and above so i take it that 4.1.2 jelly bean would not be sufficient?  or does that just mean i have to simply upgrade the OS after i get the tablet im looking at (4.1.2 is what is says it comes installed with).  
2015-2-4
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

4.1.2 would not work; it would need to be upgraded but I've also found that not all devices have updates available so if you are looking at purchasing a 4.1.2 device in hopes of updating to 4.2 Android then I would suggest you check that the device can be updated before you purchase it.

2015-2-4
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am considering lowering the entry level for the app but I don't want you to purchase a device in hopes that I am able to make it work at a lower version and be disappointed at me if I cannot.
2015-2-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

no worries ken, i dont want that burden on you either.  no need to support old crap, i only chose that device because of the cost.  im finding that i can get a samsung galaxy tab 3 7" for around 70 or 80 bucks (they are used of course).  newer versions (v4 versus v3) seem to cost more like 120-130.  so i was thinking, since the only use I plan for this device is for my fpv/vision, i would go with the cheaper of the two.  cost isnt my primary concern so i am willing to spend more if necessary, but just struggling to find the best device for a good value price.  ive chosen samsung as my brand because i like that brand and have heard positive things about their phones, so any help with a device choice would be much appreciated by you or other android enthusiasts...  here is the link to the one i was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Ga ... 22A#customerReviews
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can have access to beta versions (when available)  by joining this google group; it is open to anyone: https://play.google.com/apps/tes ... o.djiultimateflight

Release version will be available at the following location: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... djiultimateflight2.
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-5 20:56
no worries ken, i dont want that burden on you either.  no need to support old crap, i only chose th ...

If you can get Android 4.2 on the device I think you will be happy with it.  I use a Tab S as one of the 3 devices I use for testing and it is VERY nice.  The screen can easily be viewed even outside in sunlight.
2015-2-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

thanks ken, i think im going to go with a 7" nexus 7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-l ... &condition=used

it has 4.3 or higher so I think i'll be all set, thanks again for the help bro
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

There are a few people reporting crashes in the release app that was not present in the last release candidate.  I just received the crash information from Google and all 3 reported crashes are related to the license API from Google (grrrr).

I'm investigating what will be needed to correct the crash as all 3 are from devices running Android 5.  2 devices are Nexus 6 and 1 is a Nexus 7 so if this is your device I'll soon have a fix.  Watch for announcements.

I'm starting to wonder about Android 5.  First it messed up Wi-Fi and now the licensing API.  Not giving me a comfy feeling about upgrading my test devices.

Thanks for bearing with me while I fix this issue.
Ken
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Version 1.05 has been posted and should correct app crashes on Lollipop (Android 5).  Investigation found that changes in the Android runtime resulted in a break in the Google Licensing API files.  I have added the patch and the app should now open without crashes.
2015-2-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

now that, my friends, is what you call 5 star customer service right there  
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks!  I'm just trying to keep ahead of any issues.

I have nearly 300 people testing the app when it was free; not doing so well now that it's live.
2015-2-5
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I downloaded the beta and tried it today.  

1. I like it a lot but I have a grey bar creeping in and out on the left side.
2. I downloaded the CSV file.  How do I use that to map my flight?  

Thanks
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-2-6 09:04
I downloaded the beta and tried it today.  

1. I like it a lot but I have a grey bar creeping in an ...

Oh, it's not a beta; assuming you got it from the Store.

That creeping bar is a menu wink; I was trying to show that the camera menu is hiding on the side so it winks at you.  After the 1st time you open the menu (by swiping in from the left) it will no longer wink.

If you have thoughts on a different idea to show users there is a menu there I'd be interested in hearing your ideas.  I had a little slide image but people didn't like it taking screen area when 99.9% of the time it isn't needed but at the same time I had a flurry early on of people asking for a camera menu; they couldn't find it so I'm waffling trying to find a fit all (or fit most) option.

Ultimately the flight app will have the ability built in but for now I've heard that there are some mapping apps that can show it.  However the one app that I knew would use it is no longer available and I haven't been focused on finding another.  Someone mentioned there is a way to import it into Google Map website but they didn't say how and I haven't investigated that to date.

What do you think of the app?
2015-2-5
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

I would like to download the app and try it out. I am currently using a Galaxy Note 4 but will be switching to a 9" Tablet running Android 4.4. My question is if I pay now and download to the Samsung  can it be installed later on the tablet as well.
2015-2-5
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mikeatlincoln Posted at 2015-2-6 10:23
I would like to download the app and try it out. I am currently using a Galaxy Note 4 but will be sw ...

Google is a pay once run on all your devices so yes, if you use it now on your current devices you can load it on all other devices using the SAME google account.  I assume you will be using the same Google account but wanted to call that out just in case that wasn't your plan.
2015-2-5
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-2-6 09:44
Oh, it's not a beta; assuming you got it from the Store.

That creeping bar is a menu wink; I was  ...

Thanks the clarity on the"wink".  i will play with again today.

I did not get it from the App store but I will uninstall and re-install from the App store.  If there is a charge I will happily pay.

One last question...are you planning on allowing it to be installed or moved to the SD card on the phone?  Or even the data to be stored on the SD card?
2015-2-6
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The app is marked to allow it; I'll need to install an SD card and see why it isn't showing as allowed.  The data goes to the device's documents folder so if that is located on the SD card it should save on the SD card.  If that doesn't work I will consider having a setting that allows you to explicitly move it.

Let me know what you find out.

The store link is:
https://play.google.com/store/ap ... .djiultimateflight2
2015-2-6
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

kenargo Posted at 2015-2-7 01:10
The app is marked to allow it; I'll need to install an SD card and see why it isn't showing as allow ...

I did purchase and install it today.  It DOES NOT install on the SD nor am I allowed to move it there.  I have not looked to see if the data is there yet since I have not taken it out.
2015-2-6
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-2-7 01:40
I did purchase and install it today.  It DOES NOT install on the SD nor am I allowed to move it th ...

Thanks for letting me know.  According to Google docs it should allow it.  I wonder if there is some permission that the app is using that is blocking the ability to move it to SD card.  License API is the only one that I can think might affect it but I'll need to investigate.

Question: is your SD card encrypted?  Android turns off storage encryption by default so I wonder...   I'm not sure if that is it; only making a guess until I've investigated.
2015-2-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules