Photo image quality
1518 11 2015-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dvflyer.email
New

United States

Hi all,

Looking for information on how to get better image quality out of our Phantom 2 Vision +.  Photos appear very grainy.  Have tried RAW and jpg images.  A friend has a Phantom with a GoPro and it seems to take better photos.

Trying to determine if we should change to a GoPro based Phantom or are expecting too much out of this type of platform.

Thank you in advance.

photo example:

2015-1-25
Use props
dvflyer.email
New

United States

Another photo but this one is a bit better.

2015-1-25
Use props
isaac.greer.ema
lvl.1

United States

P2V+ Photos
Here are some photos that I have taken with my V+. I'm not really having a problem with grainy photos. Most of these were taken in Large JPEG format (the last photo was taken in DNG/RAW and exported to JPEG so I could upload it). All other camera settings are default.
2015-1-25
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

isaac.greer.ema Posted at 2015-1-26 05:02
P2V+ Photos
Here are some photos that I have taken with my V+. I'm not really having a problem with  ...

Those are some great photos, Isaac!

I think your problem, dvflyer, is that you have your JPEG quality set on small / low. You can tell by the banding in the blue.
2015-1-25
Use props
dvflyer.email
New

United States

Thanks all.  Excellent photos Issac!  Were they post-processed at all.

Thought we tried it in all settings but perhaps we didn't do something correctly.
2015-1-25
Use props
dvflyer.email
New

United States

Just checked the settings.  It is set to Large (L).  Raw.  Single exposure.  "Clouds" white balance.  Center-weighted exposure.  "Hard".

Here is the image information from one of the photos.  Shutter speed looks suspect.  As does resolution, but I'm unsure what that is.

2015-1-25
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

dvflyer.email Posted at 2015-1-26 08:29
Just checked the settings.  It is set to Large (L).  Raw.  Single exposure.  "Clouds" white balance. ...

ISO is 400. Drop it to the lowest setting to reduce grain.  ISO 100 is the lowest I belive for this camera.  
2015-1-25
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

dvflyer.email Posted at 2015-1-26 08:29
Just checked the settings.  It is set to Large (L).  Raw.  Single exposure.  "Clouds" white balance. ...

ISO is 400. Drop it to the lowest setting to reduce grain.  ISO 100 is the lowest I belive for this camera.  
2015-1-25
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't shoot in RAW unless you are experienced (and have the software) to edit in RAW. I bet the problem is in the software you are using to convert. I had this problem with some stuff I shot in RAW when I first started digital photography a few years back.
2015-1-25
Use props
dvflyer.email
New

United States

TSP-  Thanks.  Will try the ISO

Jmims- Using Photoshop.  Still could be the problem but my wife has been using RAW with her DSLR photos for years.  I'll have her try jpg only and see if it makes a difference.
2015-1-25
Use props
isaac.greer.ema
lvl.1

United States

dvflyer.email Posted at 2015-1-26 08:07
Thanks all.  Excellent photos Issac!  Were they post-processed at all.

Thought we tried it in all s ...

These were processed in Lightroom, really the only thing I did was enhanced the coloration though.
2015-1-26
Use props
dvflyer.email
New

United States

Finally got around to trying the suggestions here.  We changed the settings to ISO100 and jpg/ large.  Images were better, but still had some grain and were not as good as the GoPro images from the other phantom.

I've written DJI and submitted a photo, but at this point, I think we are going to purchase another Phantom 2 and see about hooking up our GoPro Hero4 to it.   Alternately, we may end up purchasing a purpose-built platform.  Really only need something that takes high quality still photos but video might be something that's required in the future.
2015-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules