Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Beyond Acceptable
2771 25 2016-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Good Day all. My name is David Doyle and have reached the end of my rope with DJI. Here are the facts. I purchased my Phoanton 3 4K mid January 2016. SInce that time my copter has been stent back 3 times for repair of the same issue. Right from the start I experienced camera issues. Each time DJI has repaced the camera. However the most recent return was also for a gimble that wouldn't function properly, locking up. Part of the problem was that when the unit was returned the gimble guard has come loos in transit so it was flopping around. SO prior to it being shipped back I asked to have the camera guard TAPPED down to prevent the same thing happening again. Guess what? When I opened the box about an hour ago what do I find no tape on the guard and the gimle flopping around. Oh by the way DJI has had my copter for over 3 months. This last go round I politely requested to have a new in box unit to replace this LEMON. I was told that it didn't follow policy. When I had called (many times) during this latest incident I was NEVER able to talk with a manger to rectify the problem. Was always given the shuffle.

So just moments ago I telephoned the head office only to be told everyone was on break and no one would be available to talk to me until after 2pm. But I should call back then and MAYBE I might get lucky enough to get through to a manager that can authorize a replacement.

Throughout this afair I have been polite and respectful. However I have not received any respect in return. I am asking members of the forum to please assist me to persuade DJI to do the right thing and replace this unit.

Thanks

David
2016-7-20
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Let's hope one of the DJI people sees this, if not, post it in the "service" part of the forum, they monitor it better. I have witnessed them help out user many times, and I am sure they will at least tty nto assist you! Good luck! I can only imagine the frustration!
2016-7-20
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

BTW, where the heck did you buy it? Even Amazon may have been able to help you out...  if it's any local retailer, I am almost sure they could figure out a way.
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your experience, David. Could you provide me with your RMA number please? Any video of the drone's issue will be appreciated.Thanks.
2016-7-20
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

RMA 06302001645263143922esc

I am holding on the phone to your head office hoping to get to speak to a manager. check my account email    ardrossan55@gmail.com. you will find all my history there.
2016-7-20
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Interesting it appears that DJI has removed my post from the forum. Having been on hold now for 15 minutes. Not performance!
2016-7-21
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Well I have finally given up waiting on hold to speak with someone in authority. It is quite clear that DJI has no customer service ethic what so ever.
2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-21 15:59
RMA 06302001645263143922esc

I am holding on the phone to your head office hoping to get to speak to ...

I understand your frustration.We're looking into your case and our colleague will be contacting you shortly.
2016-7-21
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

I would like that. Really after your colleague reviews the case there is only one course of action. Just imagine yourself in my shoes - how would you react - what would be your expectation. Truly DJI should do what is morally right.

David
2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-21 18:22
I would like that. Really after your colleague reviews the case there is only one course of action.  ...

David,
I'm looking through your case and will speak to the repair manager and customer support manager and someone will reply to you by email.
2016-7-21
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ken, respectfully I have gone down this road before (many times). Bottom line this copter is defective and DJI has chosen to hold me hostage when the resolution is quite simple - replace the unit with a new in box unit today. Then you and your other managers can take as long as you wish to investigate why my unit is a LENOM.

David
2016-7-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-22 00:03
Ken, respectfully I have gone down this road before (many times). Bottom line this copter is defecti ...

David,
You said the most recent issue is when the aircraft was returned to you that the gimbal was locking up.
Can you explain more in detail of what you mean by that and also provide a quick video clip showing it locking up.
You said this aircraft you received was defective, I'm just looking to show them that it's defective.
Thanks
2016-7-21
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ken it is IMPOSSIBLE to provide you with a "quick video" as that was what the last repair was all about.

My file with DJI is very extensive. I was told why this last repair took so long as they were doing an in-depth investigation into what the cause was.

What is your position with DJI. It appears that you do not have the authority to make the decision to replace the copter. DJI has all the information required, quit stalling Ken!

My next action if I don't get confirmation (courier tracking number for an overnight shipment) within the next hour is to write a very detailed open letter to Frank (news media receiving a copy of the letter of course) making my situation very public. I am certain that DJI would prefer not to have my situation flashed across the world media for all to see how DJI treats a client.

JUST REPLACE THE DAMN UNIT!!!!
2016-7-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>

David, I have looked at your tickets.  Ken as asked you to send us video of the damage.  That is not unreasonable.  I am not sure that replacing the unit will fix your problems.  We are wiling to do so but can you please provide us the specific problems that you are seeing via a video?  To this point we have not seen what you are experiencing.  We have performed 3 warranty replacements for you.  I am not sure what else we can do without documentation from you.  No rants, no demands, just show us what you are experiencing and we will fix it.  All the craft get flown before they are released for shipment.  There were not issues noted with your craft in all the 4 cases.  We await your response.
2016-7-21
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ted, I appreciate that DJI has replaced the camera on 3 occasions, however, each time when the unit was returned the issues were not fixed. I am sure if you were in my shoes your frustration level would have risen too. So here is the chronology.

As you know I received my P3 4K mid January. I noticed from the first flight that the quality of the video was far less that those featured on your website. I reached out via this forum and received some suggestions from your moderators on how I might resolve the issue. After performing the suggested fixes it was clear that the copter had to go back to DJI to perform a complete diagnostic. This is number 1 return.

When the copter returned the problem persisted. I was asked to provide a video clip which I did but received several email back from DJI ( SUSPECTED SPAM - VIDEO QUALITY ISSUES. The decision was to send the unit back again for review. The camera was replaced again and returned.

Imagine my delight and excitement when I got the copter back and for the first time got video quality mirroring that of those on your website. I was ecstatic over the moon! Here are two links to videos I made. My flying and camera work needed some refining.

I then got an automated notice that the firmware had to be updated, I complied. Received notice the update was successful.

It was at this juncture that everything fell apart. When operating the gimble control from the controller wheel the gimble would immediately zip to the full up or down position and would not release and operate smoothly. Again the techs tried to resolve the problem remotely unsuccessfully and another trip back to DJI. The camera was again replaced.

When i received the repaired unit the shipping box was damaged (photos supplied to DJI) and also found that the camera lock had not been mounted properly and had come loose allowing the camera to flop around during transit. So back again the DJI it went. This time it spent a considerable amount of time there and was told it was because an in-depth review of the unit was being done. I followed the progress on-line and called the RMA line during this period trying to get updates on what progress had been achieved. Never was I given a straight answer. The techs said they could only forward my concerns to the repair department. Never was I able to talk to a live body in this department. When I found it was about to be shipped I sent an email requesting that the camera guard be TAPPED down to avoid a similar happening. Well this was never actioned and the copter arrived yesterday with the camera flopping around again. I was livid as I know what I was about to experience. I had to re-pair the unit to the controller and after a few tried got the message that it had been successful. Great! I held my breathe. Started a flight simulation (no blades attach attached) all appeared to be normal. Now for the acid test the gimble. Well now it will not move up or down!

Well this was the last straw which started this last go round including telephone calls to China. This morning I took the copter out for a test flight. The gimble remained frozen in place. I then tried a hover test. It would not hover in place but commenced performing ever expanding circles around the point. I had to intervene in order to stop this. Each time I tried for the hover it would revert back to the ever expanding circle. I has started the video from lift off. I have not reviewed the video as yet but will overnight and then provide you a link to review it.  

These are links to two videos created after the repair and before up-dating the software.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv0cxdkju55no6x/Ribbon.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0adfc ... 20Crossing.mp4?dl=0

DJI has tried o resolve my issue however it has been unsuccessful with this unit (including the new issue with the hover).

Ken, you indicated your willingness to replace the unit, please do so. Once you receive this unit back you will be able to tear it down at your leisure to find the core problem.

This whole affair has been exhausting, frustrating, and depressing. By replacing the unit I will be able to start with a clean slate as it were and be able to fully enjoy the thrill of flying my P 3 4K.

I have done my best to comply to your request - no rants, no demands - just the facts as I have experienced them.

Now the ball is in your court Ken. I anticipate your next communication will have a courier tracking number for a new replacement P3 4K as well as the necessary return documentation needed to send this unit back to you.
2016-7-21
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ed here is a video clip shot earlier this morning which demonstrates the copter to hold in a hover. As you will see it becomes uncontrolled requiring intervention.

I trust with the above message and this video will complete the necessary steps for you to commit to your promise to send a completely new copter.

I apologize for my slips in referring to you by different names. I was exhausted.

I am awaiting for your early reply.

David

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmbwwnr8ujpqex2/Sequence%2001.mp4?dl=0  
2016-7-22
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ed where do things stand at this moment? I thought you would have taken action by this time.
2016-7-22
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ed why are you choosing to ignore me. It has been almost 24 hrs. since your last communication.
2016-7-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-22 23:12
Ed here is a video clip shot earlier this morning which demonstrates the copter to hold in a hover.  ...

What I saw was some TBE, toilet bowl effect, but the gimbal was solid.  Normally TBE can be cured by doing an IMU calibration on a level surface without metallic interference.  Was that done?  Just to be clear there was no promise to send you a new unit.  We are trying to determine the cause of your issues, I said that we would be willing to if we could not solve your issues.  It does not appear to be the camera, since we have replaced that 3 times.  What I am trying to get to is the root cause of the problem.  Can you show us a screen shot of your IMU mod values?
2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-23 05:36
Ed why are you choosing to ignore me. It has been almost 24 hrs. since your last communication.

Also have you done a compass calibration?
2016-7-22
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ed I dont understand some of the technical terms you use. I performed an IMU calibration. That was successful in maintaining a steady hover. Thank you. However, the issue of the gimble still persists. In the link provided you will see that on start up the camera is raised to a level position. It never moves from this position. You will notice momentary flickers which happen when I manipulate the gimble wheel on the controller.

So what happens now?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9xfoy6nl32fpog/refly.mp4?dl=0

2016-7-22
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

I do a compass calibration each and every time I fly in a new spot without fail. However, I dont see how this would effect the gimble lock issue which is now the primary matter at hand.

Please enlighten me as to the various issues you are trying to eliminate. A better informed client makes for better results.
2016-7-22
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Ed just to clarify things a bit more for you, I pilot full scale aircraft (in excess of 700 hrs), was a pilot (5 years) for CASARA - Canadian Air Search and Rescue, and been flying RC helicopters and planes since 2000. I have a check list for the P3 4K which includes start up and shutdown procedures.

I hope this will help you to understand my background in aviation on various levels. So can we please dispense with items that have no bearing on solving the primary issue of a locked gimble.  
2016-7-23
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-23 18:13
Ed just to clarify things a bit more for you, I pilot full scale aircraft (in excess of 700 hrs), wa ...

Just trying to help here......not trying to cause problems.
Was curious..........When you have your Phantom started up and try to do a gimbal calibration through the DJI Go app, what do the results say?  
If it should give you an error message.  
2016-7-23
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ardrossan55@gma Posted at 2016-7-23 18:13
Ed just to clarify things a bit more for you, I pilot full scale aircraft (in excess of 700 hrs), wa ...

I understand you are an experienced pilot.  When I watched your video, I saw the craft moving around not the gimbal.  That is why I asked if you would show me a screen shot of the IMU values.  That will give me a better feel for what is happening there. Have you done a gimbal reset and calibration?  I appreciate your patience.  We are doing our best to assist you.
Edit:  I looked at your video again.  The gimbal is not locked.  Now you say that you touched the tilt wheel and the camera "flickered"  Did you just touch it or did you start to initiate a tilt and stopped?  How do you have your gimble tilt set up.  High gains low gains, etc?  That would be a helpful screen shot as well.
2016-7-23
Use props
ardrossan55
lvl.1

Let me recount a short story. I have a good friend that I have shared the arduous journey with. And like me he couldn't understand why DJI was being so evasive and not focused on suggesting actual troubleshooting steps rather asking never-ending questions that never resulted in any meaningful progress to resolving the issue. A couple of days ago he suggested I use the internet to see if there were others experiencing similar issues and see what they did to resolve it.

So I took my friends advice and took to the internet. There I found many experiencing the same problem. They suggested various actions taken which were successful. I must have reviewed 20 or so - none of them were invasive but worked by utilizing various controller functions.

Guess what I resolved my issue within an hour of commencing my voyage on the internet. My camera now runs the full travel smoothly up and down.

Had DJI taken a more focused proactive approach I wouldn't have gone through the frustrating, aggravating, annoying, exasperating coaster ride of the past 10 days or so. DJI could have, after doing "an in-depth review of all information" contained in my long and lengthy file, resolved my issue in less that an hour, instead of a plethora of useless questions serving only to create an endless treadmill.

I am so grateful of my friends suggestion to check the internet.

There is a lesson to be learned here for both clients and DJI. Hopefully DJI will conduct an "in-depth review" of this phenomenally infuriating voyage I experienced and implement the take-a-ways.

2016-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules