Woops! be careful installing props
1482 14 2016-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kejado70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39012 ft
Australia

My P4 arrived yesterday arvo 21st July ( Thursday in Oz ), and I spent most of the arvo and early evening installing stuff and charging batteries.  This morning, I took it into the backyard to calibrate the imus and compass etc. After that I installed the props and told it to take of in beginner mode.

WOW!  One of the props flew off about thirty feet in the air and landed on my roof.  I installed the spare and the same thing happened. I had to get a ladder and get them down and this time made absolutely sure that it was fixed in place, took off and you beauty, it hovered.

So it pays to double check that the props are fixed in place.

I had to go inside and have a cuppa tea to calm down.   

= Kev =

2016-8-16
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

I probably would have had something a lot stronger !!  hehe.
2016-8-16
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Yep, I check, then double check... and then sometimes I check again... be safe, not sorry
2016-8-16
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Australia

Grizz 1 Posted at 2016-8-17 06:03
I probably would have had something a lot stronger !!  hehe.

Yeah,

A few years ago I might have but for some unknown reason, I've practically given up grog. Odd since I used to drink every day.   

2016-8-16
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Australia

Heebus Posted at 2016-8-17 06:25
Yep, I check, then double check... and then sometimes I check again... be safe, not sorry

My next big fright was when I took it to the local park to fly a Litchi mission. I had forgotten that it had to make a smooth turn away from me at some time and I thought it had decided to leave home for good. I remember that all I had to do was flick the switch to sport or atti mode to interupt it and bring it back.

Minor heart attack as I'm a pensioner and can't afford to easily replace the quady.

2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Good to hear there wasn't any damaged. As Heebus said, it's always better to be safe than sorry.
2016-8-16
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

kejado70@tpg.co Posted at 2016-8-16 18:46
My next big fright was when I took it to the local park to fly a Litchi mission. I had forgotten th ...

Same boat my friend, at least the not being able to afford another one... and i love the crap outta my P4, and fly every chance I get
2016-8-16
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Australia

Heebus Posted at 2016-8-17 06:57
Same boat my friend, at least the not being able to afford another one... and i love the crap outt ...

Mine arrived as a week or so of high winds and rain set in so plenty of looking at other users videos.

By the by, if I win lotto, I intend to come over to Canada to experience the "Coca Cola" highway. Our SBS has just finished a repeat broadcast of the series.   

2016-8-16
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

I always feel like it's OCD as I check props etc 3+ times before flying! Better safe than sorry
2016-8-16
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

kejado70@tpg.co Posted at 2016-8-17 01:05
Mine arrived as a week or so of high winds and rain set in so plenty of looking at other users vid ...

bring your drone!, there are plenty of nice places to fly
2016-8-17
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I'm a bit OCD like calls4u2   

I have a routine that I follow before every flight.  The first thing I do is grasp the motor body and then twist each prop left and right to check the play.  (There will be a little play, and it should be the same for all of them)..  

Then while holding the motor body, I pull up on it and then try rock it from side to side.  The motor should be fastened tightly to the arm with no movement at all.  

Then I flip the prop with my finger hard enough to cause the motor to spin around 3 - 4 times.  I look for any binding our roughness.  They should all spin the same.
2016-8-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

My main question is did the P4 fly normally with 3 props?
My secondary question is that if the same prop flew twice then consider using a spare; if it came off from the same rotor, maybe check the rotor to make sure it is tight.
2016-8-17
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Australia

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-18 01:47
My main question is did the P4 fly normally with 3 props?
My secondary question is that if the same  ...

No, the quady flipped over in the grass and yes, after the second time I made sure they were all fitted corrctly.
2016-8-17
Use props
MarcoX5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find that there's a nicely satisfying click when the prop is seated properly.  That's not to say that the click guarantees the props are seated but I find it to be reassuring.  Always check and double check.  

The Oh-No moment should be avoided at all costs.
2016-8-17
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Australia

jwt873@gmail.co Posted at 2016-8-17 22:36
I'm a bit OCD like calls4u2   

I have a routine that I follow before every flight.  The first thi ...

I've grown used to how they feel when fitted correctly so I'm calm about launching. It's like getting a new motorcycle. You learn how it's going by the sounds you hear through your helmet. In the quady case, it's how they feel as you lock them down.

Well, I'm off to fly just around the corner, then over to Stockton to fly a Litchi mission.

2016-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules