12mm HyperFocal Distance of 4.8m
912 3 2016-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bruce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 686916 ft
United States

So, the DJI focus calibration requests that I pick an object that is FAR Away for focus calibration, Looking at the specs for the 12mm Olympus, the Hyperfocual distance is 4.8m.  If I calibrate the focus for around that distance, then objects as close as 2.4m will be in sharp focus, If I calibrate the lens for 50m then objects 45m away will start to get sharp.  Of course, this is shooting at F2.  Stopping the lens down more will just improve this.  So my question is, why would I not want to calibrate the focus for about 5m away with THIS lens then leave it on manual and know that when I fly close to something it will be as sharp as objects a 2km away?

Thanks
Bruce

2016-7-22
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Because what you are calibrating is the infinity focus stop.
2016-7-22
Use props
bruce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 686916 ft
United States

adam1 Posted at 2016-7-22 12:03
Because what you are calibrating is the infinity focus stop.

but adam, what I am asking, is why set an infinity one, when I can set it for 5m and know that everything from about 3m to infinity will be in focus
2016-7-22
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

You're setting a calibration between the app and the lens.  The app doesn't know where infinity is until you tell it (don't ask me why). Once you calibrate it, feel free to focus at whatever point you like to achieve the depth of field you desire.  When shooting still I auto focus at what ever point I want and in conjunction with aperture I achieve the dof I want.  When I shoot video, I compromise between optical sharpness and high dof aperture to achieve Max dof for my shot, if not shooting tight. Normally it's between f5.6 and 8, with a focus set at infinity (w/ DJI MFT 15mm).  Normally provides 20-infinity..
2016-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules