123Next >
15841 88 2016-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

I thought resetting my iPad Air 2 had resolved the video transmission lag problem I'm having but it still presents itself. It usually happens when first starting up the drone but after a few minutes or so the  problem disappears. I've also tried it on my iPhone 6S and that doesn't help either. Last night I updated the drone to v1.9.60 and I've just been out to try it again. There was some video lag initially, about 3-4 seconds delay,  then after a short while everything was fine. I recorded the Transmission Signal screen as the bars were jumping around, not sure if this is normal.

Please help, not sure what to try next!
2016-7-22
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

Mine is similar, seems to be fine for the first minute or so then it goes really insanely laggy to where i cant use fpv. Im wondering if its the interference in my area or if it just happens. 9 out of 10 days
2016-7-22
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

What kind of temperatures are you flying in?
2016-7-22
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

I live in florida. so it gets hot, maybe in 90s high humidity
2016-7-22
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

thomasneumann10 Posted at 2016-7-22 20:02
I live in florida. so it gets hot, maybe in 90s high humidity

Was 25 deg C today
2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

What device are you using, make sure you have no apps running in the background.
Also do you have Hardware Decode enabled.
You can choose custom and select the best channel (shortest line) and lower the bitrate.
Also proper antenna orientation is key.

2016-7-22
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-22 21:57
What device are you using, make sure you have no apps running in the background.
Also do you have Ha ...

iPad Air 2 and tried it on iPhone 6S too, I can't change the Channel, I guess because of being based in UK. All background apps were shut down and hardware encode enabled. The problem only began after recent app updates.
2016-7-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-24 06:24
iPad Air 2 and tried it on iPhone 6S too, I can't change the Channel, I guess because of being bas ...

If the control system is constantly changing channels, then there is your problem. The radio channel will change channels if it encounters another transmission on the same channel it is using, this is quite normal and is exactly what it is designed to do. As a result, the MPEG coded video stream is interrupted and has to start decoding at the RC end all over again, and when it does this, the image is delayed. Again, that is perfectly normal with MPEG coding systems. The best way to avoid the problem is to fly where there is no radio inrterference.
2016-7-23
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-23 23:37
If the control system is constantly changing channels, then there is your problem. The radio chann ...

Thanks for that Geebax, I'll bear this in mind next time I'm out. However, I was out last Thursday and had the video lag issue, I checked the Transmission Signal screen and there weren't any bars showing at all, I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere (see Google Maps Extract, Wharram Percy). I guess being in the middle of nowhere doesn't necessarily mean there isn't interference but would the bars be jumping around if there was?

2016-7-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-25 05:44
Thanks for that Geebax, I'll bear this in mind next time I'm out. However, I was out last Thursday  ...

It depends upon the amount of lag you get. Virtually all video broadcasting systems rely on MPEG encoding, as does thre Phantom. One of the characterisitics of MPEG is that in order to obtain the best compression, it checks to see if the image is changing much from one frame to the other. If not, it simply encodes a message of 'essentially the same as the last frame'. In order to do this, it has to delay the encoding process, and that is what you see as lag. You can get the same effect if you have two television sets in the same room tuned to the same channel, often one will be delayed beghind the other. So, in summary, a small amount of lag (ip to 1/2 second) is perfectly normal.
2016-7-24
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-24 23:40
It depends upon the amount of lag you get. Virtually all video broadcasting systems rely on MPEG e ...

The lag can be as much as about 4-5 seconds
2016-7-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-25 08:59
The lag can be as much as about 4-5 seconds

Yeah, that can also mean your iPad is taking its time to process the images, and so is the Go App. Have you got hardware acceleration switched on on your iPad?
2016-7-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-24 04:24
iPad Air 2 and tried it on iPhone 6S too, I can't change the Channel, I guess because of being bas ...

I have an iPad Air 2 and I have no problems at all.
Something has to be wrong if you have a 4 second delay.
You can search the internet and you can have the Custom channels and also lower the bitrate.
And antennas are pointed correctly as in the video?
If you cannot remedy it with trying another device then you may want to contact support and have it sent in for repair.
The area you are flying iin should have no problem at all.
2016-7-24
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-25 01:06
Yeah, that can also mean your iPad is taking its time to process the images, and so is the Go App. ...

Yep, tried it on and off
2016-7-25
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-25 05:03
I have an iPad Air 2 and I have no problems at all.
Something has to be wrong if you have a 4 secon ...

Thank you, I'll look into custom channels. Antennas are OK, I have been using the drone since March with no issues until the latest app/firmware updates.
2016-7-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-25 16:41
Thank you, I'll look into custom channels. Antennas are OK, I have been using the drone since Marc ...

The last update put all the GEO data and that may be why the data is slower.
I notice my iPad Air 2 has perfect transmission, just the map page is a touch slow. My iPad Pro has no delay at all.
2016-7-25
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-25 15:16
The last update put all the GEO data and that may be why the data is slower.
I notice my iPad Air  ...

I've managed to switch the region to US and have tried manually selecting channels and lowering bit rate but it doesn't help. In fact, being able to adjust bit rate has highlighted that I've been getting a poor transmission image for a while now!

See video of lag below, the controller was 1m or so away from the drone. When I initially powered up the drone the lag was about 5 seconds but I guess the app lowers the bit rate  while it's calibrating itself, but still, there is significant lag and drop out!

2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-26 16:54
I've managed to switch the region to US and have tried manually selecting channels and lowering bit ...

If you have the antennas pointing correctly and have all background apps OFF then you should not be seeing that lag. The advertised latency is 220ms with a proper device (which you have) and interference free (which looks like you are in).
You can to reinstall the firmware or even try going back one to see if it helps but not sure it will
I would contact support and have it sent in.
2016-7-26
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-26 15:00
If you have the antennas pointing correctly and have all background apps OFF then you should not b ...

Thank you Ken, I'll try downgrading firmware and if no joy I'll get in touch with support
2016-7-26
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-26 15:02
do you get this lag also with other APPs? have you tried?
Because I've the same problem and I notic ...

I've not tried any other apps, just DJi Go on iPad and iPhone
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-26 22:32
Thank you Ken, I'll try downgrading firmware and if no joy I'll get in touch with support

Since it happened after upgrading, it could be one of the data packets got corrupted and have done something to your video transmission module.
So try the downgrade and go fly, it it's all better then upgrade again to see if it's gone (should be). And if not you can stay on the lower firmware or send it in. I would send it in just so there will be no issues at all.
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-26 22:32
I've not tried any other apps, just DJi Go on iPad and iPhone

Possibly try an Android device or another IOS device too just to try and eliminate things.
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-26 23:00
Ken, can IMU calibration help?
and in my case, as I'm facing this problem during the first flight ...

I don't think an IMU calibration is going to help with video lag.
First thing is to make sure you have the antennas pointed correctly as I posted a video earlier in this thread.
I do find it strange that it's only with your first flight.
I would also try the firmware thing i described earlier. You have a Mini 4 and all correct settings so you should not have any lag whatsoever.
2016-7-26
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-26 15:45
Since it happened after upgrading, it could be one of the data packets got corrupted and have done ...

Thank you. I have just been trying to pin down when I first started to experience the transmission delay; 20th June 2016 was the first time I recall it happening, some time after upgrading the firmware to 1.8.80 and before I updated to 1.9.60. I'm guessing it's not the firmware causing the issue.

I did (as had others) have initial image transmission problems on an app update several weeks ago, but a subsequent app release seemed to cure it. I cant remember what dates they were released, maybe you could advise?

PS I've also tried it on my iPhone 6S and it didnt help either.
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-26 23:14
thanks, antennas are well positioned and when I fly I pay attention how I put the remote and I fac ...

Try upgrading to 1.9. I don't know if it's corrupted data packets, that was only a suggestion if the lag started immediately after a firmware upgrade.
Upgrade to 1.9 and see if it still persists.
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-26 23:21
Thank you. I have just been trying to pin down when I first started to experience the transmission  ...

That's my advice, try downgrading then upgrading and another device. if you see the same results then you should contact support and send it in to be evaluated.
2016-7-26
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

I had same issue as you and took off gimbal unplugged and replugged itback in and it fixed my problem. I was having the issue for over a month.

I was trying everything nothing worked, i unplugged the two camera wires (after taking gimbal off) plugged them back in than boom it worked right away. IDK if one was loose or if it just reset the camera.

Please let me know
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thomasneumann10 Posted at 2016-7-26 23:32
I had same issue as you and took off gimbal unplugged and replugged itback in and it fixed my proble ...

That's great, unplugging doesn't do any kind of resetting. Somehow it came loose. There's clips on the plug so it should not come loose.
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-26 23:58
Are you talking about these connectors? Is it needed to remove completely the gimbal?

Those have to be the cables.
Those should be tight but you can try to press them in firmly but it shouldn't make a difference as thee's locking tabs on the clips.
2016-7-26
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

Yes those connectors. I suppose mine must of came loose then? mine drone is about 2 months old and was only flown 4 times (for the length of battery) and my problems were exactly as listed here. I was talking to support when they kept reccomending things that ive already done. I then tried unplugging gimbal and unplugging/replugging those two wires in and it worked. I also made sure the wires were firmly into the little plastic connectors.

But as of now this has honestly fixed it when everything else has not done a thing.
2016-7-26
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

http://uavdoc.com/2016/phantom-3-advanced-video-lag-fixed/7/
2016-7-26
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

Interesting Bruins
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thomasneumann10 Posted at 2016-7-27 00:26
Yes those connectors. I suppose mine must of came loose then? mine drone is about 2 months old and w ...

That's good to hear. Glad it's all fixed.
2016-7-26
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-28 10:15
Yesterday I unplugged and then plugged again the 2 cables.
I just tested once (1 battery during 1 ...

I've just done the same (after downgrading and upgrading firmware didn't resolve problem) and it's now appears to be ok, but the issue can be intermittent.

Keep me posted
2016-7-28
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-28 05:15
Yesterday I unplugged and then plugged again the 2 cables.
I just tested once (1 battery during 1 ...

Please let me know hope it works. ive only flown mines 2 or 3 batterys since but no lag at all amazingly
2016-7-28
Use props
darwin9026
New

Damn! it's so amazing how something so simple can fix that freaking problem lol .... I had the same problem and I left my phantom in a box for 2 months, and now I found this post I unplugged and replugged the gimbal and booooooooooom!! it freaking works!! sorry I'm very excited haha, thanks for let us know that trick thomasneumann10, you're a genius! ........ Grettings from Ecuador
2016-7-28
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-29 10:31
WOW!!
I haven't tested any further yet, I hope this solved the issue, but it's very strange that  ...

I have tried half a dozen times since yesterday and it still seems ok. I've not flown it yet but the transmission lag was present before flying anyway. Tried it this morning with antennas folded in, loads of interference and compass error - camera worked just fine. It's been a bit cooler in the UK over the past few days so I'm not ruling out the overheating issue causing the lag mentioned in another post.
2016-7-29
Use props
thomasneumann10
lvl.1

United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-29 06:52
I have tried half a dozen times since yesterday and it still seems ok. I've not flown it yet but t ...

Glad to hear this is working!!!

Would of been nice if dji support could of recommended this, instead i was thinking i had a defective unit. Which was brand new. Hopefully it is a long term fix but i have no idea. I wouldn't mind if i had to re-plug once every couple months tho.

And im in Florida so 90-100 degrees +crazy humidity and the heat didn't seem to make a difference after i did this. lets pray it holds up!
2016-7-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

darwin9026 Posted at 2016-7-29 10:58
Damn! it's so amazing how something so simple can fix that freaking problem lol .... I had the same  ...

That's great you got it working.
2016-7-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Baldo81 Posted at 2016-7-29 23:49
Ken what could be the scientific explanation of this fix?! that's so strange!

Well in that case the ribbon cable just needed to be firmly pushed back in. Maybe there were some hard landings and it just came a tab loose.
For the other cases if you update firmware and then lose video more than likely some of the data packets got corrupted and damaged the video transmission module.If you only lose video after an update you would read the hidden log file from the SD card on your computer and if it said module 8 and 15 device not detected then you need to send the aircraft in for warranty repair.
You can also try removing the SD card and installing it, that has help a couple users but not immediately after a firmware update.
2016-7-29
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules