Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spinning blades due to Wind
1205 10 2016-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

Hey all,

This is a new one, to me at least. I've been on the beach for the past two afternoons and the wind speed has been quite noticeable (at least 20mph). I keep my Inspire in a strap-on backpack and given the gust of wind & my body position the blades will start to spin so fast that I'll get beeping noises from the drone. The drone is definitely off. I've checked multiple times to make sure I'm not "losing it". How alarming is this? How bad is this for my motors?

I did a search and find in the DJI Inspire manual (which needs to be updated, regardless) for a topic like this but no such luck. The drone worked great in the wind, regardless. I'd expect this from a heavy drone w/ a 3 axis anyway.

Frank
2016-7-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It seems odd as it should not be feasible for the unit to make any noise while powered off. Could you happen go recreate it and send a video?
2016-7-22
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Is it beeping or, "screaming"? I know the motors on the Phantom 3, "scream" when they hit resistance (like a wall). In any case, probably not a good idea to let the blades spin freely when it's not in use, I don't know what protection the Inspire 1 has (if any) but that can cause problems in some devices as the motors generate power when turned like that (they become dynamos).

Is it distinct beeps or a sort of whine?
2016-7-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

Might be a silly response but why not take the blades off while strapped to the backpack? Problem solved.
2016-7-23
Use props
bharkup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10425610 ft
  • >>>

The motors act like little wind turbines. It's feedback into the esc.
2016-7-23
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-7-23 20:36
Might be a silly response but why not take the blades off while strapped to the backpack? Problem so ...

I could... too lazy. Will make the extra effort next time. Might be exhausted though.
2016-7-23
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

Hterag Posted at 2016-7-23 18:07
Is it beeping or, "screaming"? I know the motors on the Phantom 3, "scream" when they hit resistance ...

Its definitely a beeping noise. No screaming at all.
2016-7-23
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Circulating current being generated by the motors and causing feedback to the ESC's. Remove the props during transport

Rich
2016-7-23
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

The blades drive turn the motors which then act as mini-generators of current. That energy is fed backwards setting of an alarm. You might damage the electronics if this persists. Take off the props.

2016-7-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

The blades drive turn the motors which then act as mini-generators of current. That energy is fed backwards setting of an alarm. You might damage the electronics if this persists. Take off the props.

2016-7-24
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Hi Frank,

you are not going crazy, I have experienced the same thing and it scared the shit out of me!

Was carrying Inspire and a long gust of wind hit - props spun up, aircraft lights came on with a the normal beeps. Whilst DJI Jamie reckons it is not feasible, I can assure you from personal experience that it is. I suppose it is like jump starting a car.

Regards Wolf
2016-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules